Topic: So... you know how Owen came to visit LA?

We recorded a commentary for The Phantom Menace with Ryan.

Surprise!

This won't be widely-shared; we just recorded it for ourselves and the forum, as a lark, on short notice, for fun.

(The first twenty seconds on YouTube have funky audio, fwiw.)

MP3 version. It's big — 200 megs or so — so do me a favor and download it, rather than streaming it from a tab.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +9 Thumbs down

Re: So... you know how Owen came to visit LA?

Sorry Faldor, I lied.

https://i.imgur.com/nWJ1DqG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Ya rat bastard.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, there's enough of us left—I'll fly out to do AOTC, Tom can take ROTS, etc. There's a precedent set now, as long as we keep visiting you guys have to keep doing the show tongue

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yay! Where's that Orson Welles clapping GIF when you need it? wink

Teague wrote:

MP3 version. It's big — 200 megs or so — so do me a favor and download it, rather than streaming it from a tab.

The link is broken (there's a slash instead of a dot). Try this one.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks, Marty. Fixed.

Abbie wrote:

as long as we keep visiting you guys have to keep doing the show

This ain't the show. Just to be clear. wink

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Thanks, Marty. Fixed.

Abbie wrote:

as long as we keep visiting you guys have to keep doing the show

"I am shocked, *shocked*, to find that podcasting is going on in here!"

"Your commentary, sir."

"Oh, thank you very much. Everybody out at once!"

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What a treat! Thanks for doing this commentary guys! Teague, you haven't lost a step at all with the classic DIF/FIYH sync point instructions.

I haven't finished listening to it yet, but I'm really enjoying how you guys approached it from the lens of "What are our opinions on this thing before the internet told us to hate it?". Because my suspicion has long been that people typically thought The Phantom Menace was a fun movie, but had big problems with the next two. Speaking of which, I hope we get another commentary on Attack of the Clones in the future with this same kind of lens (although I don't think any kind of lens will be able to save that one from scrutiny)........Oh, and what did you guys think about The Last Jedi?

And about the Jedi robes discussion, although Obi-Wan's and Owen's robes look kind of similar in the original movie, Obi-Wan's are much closer in appearance to samurai robes (longer cloak that goes down to feet, huge sleeves), and Lucas did take inspiration from those Kurosawa samurai films. At some point though, I think he did want to make the Jedi have outfits similar to Luke's in ROTJ, but may have just decided to revert back to his original inspiration for what the Jedi were.

Oh and I think Ryan has become the new Trey with his interesting personal anecdotes.

Last edited by theMaestro (2018-11-27 05:43:32)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Owen: I can't believe I get to be on Down In Front!
Teague:  Yeah... This isn't Down In Front
Owen: I can't believe I get to be on Friends In Your Head!
Teague: Nope.
Owen: Can I at least get a balloon animal?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Teague wrote:

"Ah, what's this you've given me Teague? A flower? It's red like a rose, shaped like a rose, smells like a rose and has thorns like a rose... but what's that? You say it's an elephant? Seems a strange thing to call a rose. But if you insist."

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You leave Teague alone. He's magnificent.

I think you guys could record a commentary for TPM every month and there'd always be something to say or another angle to take it from. It's great.

(I also haven't seen the prequels in close to 10 years. I have no idea how it will go when I break the cycle. Let's keep it for when it's my turn to visit L.A.)

It's nice to see Ryan again, too. I'll try and not be super jealous of Owen because I don't like to geek out too much, but it's my yearly reminder that I owe this guy a lot.

It's also slightly illegal to have a 12-year-old on a podcast. But who am I to judge.

PS: Teague's Auralnauts' 3PO game is on fucking point.

PS 2: re-Watto's dice: I actually think his reaction is somewhat plausible. It's evidently a loaded die (it's Watto.) and he actually knows Qui-Gon's Force tricks ("I'm a Toydarian, mind tricks don't work on me."). So he knows what Qui-Gon did.

Last edited by Saniss (2018-11-27 13:39:09)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

PS: Teague's Auralnauts' 3PO game is on fucking point.

*fist bump*

BigDamnArtist wrote:

"Ah, what's this you've given me Teague? A flower? It's red like a rose, shaped like a rose, smells like a rose and has thorns like a rose..."

Roses are generally characterized by the presence of Brian or Dorkman or Trey — not to mention scheduling. wink

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At this point, I think it's safe to say that one cannot talk about TPM without eventually talking about what the filmmakers should have done. Every conversation about the movie inevitably ends up there.

There was a discussion about the term "Sith" in this commentary. I think you guys agreed that the term was known from supplementary material from the original trilogy, but wasn't clearly defined and portrayed in the movies until the prequels.

Here's a deleted scene I found from the original movie that shows that "Sith Lord" was a term that was actually used and filmed back in 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Erf6s_wYJk . I wonder how closely George's original concept of Sith Lords lines up with what they ultimately became in the prequels.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Whoaaaaaa. Good pull.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The "CD bootleg with a logo in the corner" mentioned in the commentary is probably this one (the Star Wars On Video site has hundreds of SW home video covers, both official and otherwise; check out the other bootleg covers for a good laugh).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's the one!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, a picture!

https://i.imgur.com/LT4eFZ3.jpg

Fun fact: the Qui-Gon/TV you see in this picture is directly facing a second Qui-Gon/TV on the opposite side of the room, so most of the time you see us looking 'to the right' in the YouTube video, we're actually not staring off into space — or listening to Owen — but watching the same video on a second TV and giving our necks a break.

Apologies to Owen for the 'or-listening-to-Owen' punchline, which would have befallen whoever was in that seat.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, it was fun giving Owen a tour of all of my internet-history shit that regular visitors consider meaningless.

Like... the bottle of Qui-Gon Gin that Ryan made for our RedLetterMedia AoTC party, which had been prominent in the YouTube video from that event which I made for the DIF feed; or, the Guy Fawkes mask someone left on my doorstep after the 4chan thing; or, the Radiopunk game [which we played!]; or the ironically-framed mustache Alex wore in Tokes & Stokes — shit like that. There are only a few people in the world who ascribe the same meaning as I do to these bullshit items, so it's a treat to 'introduce' them to those items for the 'first' time.

Anyway.

Internet friendships are weird.

I like it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

They belong in a museum

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Sorta-kinda like when Vaportrail and I visited Nate while he was still in Nebraska, and he showed us around the bowling alley/theater he used to work at, in the sense that, "This is the location of Duel of the Dorks".

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I think it's only fitting that Qui-Gon is in that picture with us, seeing as Ryan taught us all how to make lightsaber effects on an image of the Jedi Master himself.

Even though I did all the typical tourist stuff, The Teague Tour™ was genuinely one of the standout moments of my trip. It was pretty much like visiting the most niche museum that exists - scratch that, it's not like the most niche museum that exists, it IS the most niche museum that exists.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Aww. Thanks. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The DiF Museum of inTeagueing Shit

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I like how 'Teague-Interesting' is a thing, and 'InTeagueing' is a possibility, and yet no amount of wordplay can bring the two into a single phrase.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down