Topic: Thread for posting random better-than-average film analysis stuff.

No clickbait; no 'easy' hot-takes — the floor for this thread is set at 'particularly insightful.'

If you think it meets that criteria, share it. Let's get a 'lil archive going.

These are in no particular order; I've watched all of 'em more than once. I'm limiting myself to one video per creator [for now, at least]; that said, I'm pretty sure literally every account below has at least two or three other videos I think belong in this thread, so go exploring if you find something you like.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Thread for posting random better-than-average film analysis stuff.

Lindsay Ellis' Hobbit Retrospective
I'm only posting part 1 of 3, but you HAVE to watch the whole thing. It gradually shifts from an analysis of where the films went wrong to a full-on investigative journalism piece covering how their production actively wrecked the New Zealand film industry.

The Great Recession: American Movie Acting Today

Analysis of how the Method gradually fell by the wayside for today's current style of understated millennial performances.

Christopher Nolan and the Cruelty of Time
It's a bit of a crapshoot whether FilmCritHulk will write a great piece or something lazy and overwritten these days. This is the former, a perfect encapsulation of Nolan's obsessions as an artist.

Aleph Null's review of The Master
Completely changed how I view one of my favorite films, and doubles as a damning critique of the search for universal themes in art.

Will post some more once I'm not limited to typing forum code on my phone keyboard :p

Last edited by Abbie (2018-12-02 01:09:34)

Northern Star: On Twin Peaks, Sheryl Lee, and Laura Palmer

A survivor of incest and abuse shares what the character of Laura Palmer represents for her and others, especially in light of Twin Peaks: The Return.

Solid Dick
Don't let the inflammatory opening paragraph, which states that Iron Man is the most evil movie ever made, turn you off. Jack Graham goes on to rigorously explicate his thesis, eviscerating the MCU's uneasy relationship with war profiteering and capitalism.

Hbomberguy's Sherlock Rant
Again, ignore his inflammatory title. Very thorough analysis of Sherlock specifically and Steve Moffat's worst tendencies as a filmmaker in general, one that made me feel a bit better about my relative distaste for the show post-pilot.

Fake Friends: Parasocial Relationships
Shannon usually talks about film and TV, and while this series is more broad in scope it's firmly rooted in media and celebrity culture so I think it fits. As someone who constantly has to remind myself to rein in my parasocial affections, this one is an uncomfortable but necessary watch.

J. K. Rowling and the Cauldron of Discourse

Again, this one applies a bit more broadly than just film, but since the Fantastic Beasts movies are ramping up all Rowling's worst writerly/political tendencies as discussed in this essay, I hope you'll allow it.

Sustaining Stupidity: Why CinemaSins Is Terrible
Plothole criticism is a cancer.

Stop Laughing at Old Movies, You Fucking Hipsters
I once left a 70mm screening of Vertigo unsettled and irritated after the entire audience decided that Jimmy Stewart's gaslighting of Kim Novak in the final act was hilarious, so this speaks to me on a deep, deep level.

Last edited by Abbie (2018-12-02 01:05:30)

I've been waiting for a free night to go through all of the videos linked that I hadn't already seen(I'm a sucker for this corner of Youtube), so tonight I started with the one right up top, 'The Gateway to Coco's Memories'. Well, let's just say no other video in this thread ended up getting a look in and I instead just ended up binging that channel.

Thanks for the new channel in my sub box!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love Sideways.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down