Re: Dubious musical taste.

Teague wrote:

Vibes don't get enough love.

Not quite the same, and the marimba probably gets even less love than vibes, but....

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Propagandhi is heavier than my usual, but their lyrics are great and this song in particular is appropriate to today's occasion.

SPOILER Show
Circa 1992, Hitchens faxed his copy through as regards Columbus Day.
And if you'll permit me the conceit of a posthumous critique, I'll paraphrase:
"My colourful, exotic friend; respectable, well spoken — unlike the rest of them —
As you know I'm colour-blind, and you're a credit to your kind;
This silly talk of resurgence, ceremony, communion with an unconquered natural world;
Tell me, where is your gratitude for all we've done for you? This paradise. Eden. Empire. Kingdom.
This boundless epoch we've bestowed upon your savage, empty lands;
Well, of course mistakes were made! But as far as human progress goes,
Welcome to a slightly higher plane of innovation and opportunity for your trampled communities.
The treaties that we broke; the lands that we filched; the settlements put to the torch; the children we abused; all for your own good, of course.
It just happens to to be the way history has been made. Just don't play with a toy gun or change lanes without signalling.
Don't comply, don't resist, cuz it don't make no difference.
Comply? Resist? No difference. Resist? Comply? You die.
The funny names you give your kids; the silly ways you do your hair; the jungle music that you blare; we snicker and we sneer
For they do not revere the incessant gadgetry we incessantly deploy to incessantly extract and incessantly destroy.
You don't worship us. Oh why don't you worship us? Resist? Comply? You die."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got turned onto Tiny Vipers by one Alex Ruger—had to settle into liking her stuff (very stripped-down, cyclical neofolk), but the atmosphere is truly haunting and some of the lyrics are just beautiful.

Last edited by Abbie (2018-10-16 18:31:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm so glad you dig her! She's incredible. Unfortunately music that really requires you to just sit and *listen,* not doing anything else, is often passed over nowadays. She seems to have retired for whatever reason -- maybe that one -- which is a shame, but at the same time it makes this album seem all the more precious. Her two other albums are great, but in a different way, and don't really approach the near holy quality of Life On Earth. It really feels like a high water mark, standing alone.

I forget -- when did I turn you on to her?

You tweeted about how great this album was earlier this year, and, you being the musical authority 'round these here parts, I duly looked her up. Looking at my post I suppose my phrasing implied more mutual agency than actually existed, but hey, we're retroactively having the conversation now tongue

I always love it when an artist has an album like that—something that's just clearly in a realm the rest of their still-very-good material doesn't reach. I have that exact same feeling about Rilo Kiley—their first three albums are various degrees of great, but The Execution of All Things is just this monolith of emotional catharsis that the others can't touch.

Last edited by Abbie (2018-10-16 19:11:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's the holiday season, which means it's time for listening to liturgical music in an effort to dredge up the ol' religious feelings. (Flippancy aside, these pieces and others like them are about the closest I'll ever get to believing in something divine again.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for these. This is a treat.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is another haunting one, if you've got a free hour:

Last edited by Abbie (2018-12-01 18:51:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only thing better than tongue-in-cheek 80s lesbian honky-tonk

is the same band doing an utterly ethereal cover of "Sweet Jane."

Last edited by Abbie (2018-12-12 22:24:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Been getting into some funk-inspired jazz lately—the Hammond organ/electric guitar combo is just ear candy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*clicks play on first video*

*waits nine seconds*

*is fully into it*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

These are all wonderful and have a delicious groove. I dig it.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Oof. Themz some bloody snazzy tracks.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I don't often listen to music. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I...don't like it. It just doesn't often occur to me to put something on, and it's usually an orchestral soundtrack when I do happen to get the urge.

So my musical taste is perhaps the most dubious of all tongue

Anywho, here's a band I was exposed to quite on accident this past weekend (short story, not short enough). They sound really good live.

Sawyer
https://open.spotify.com/album/4ulwAiKLIFWUnX5g7uwdKO

This EP is fun as hell, particularly The Last Thing.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It can take a little while getting used to that guy's voice, though he's softened it a bit over the years. He's been compared a lot to Bob Dylan (though Dylan was never Swedish, as far as I know!).

Love Is All is his one song I always come back to. It's sad and very powerful.

(it's also a great guitar exercise tongue )

Last edited by Saniss (2019-01-18 15:54:09)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With the Oscar nominees announced today, thought I'd take the opportunity to share bits of my favorite movie scores from the last year.

Jonny Greenwood, Phantom Thread

Nicholas Britell, If Beale Street Could Talk

Carter Burwell, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow, Annihilation

Last edited by Abbie (2019-01-22 18:58:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phantom Thread is awesome. I had the pleasure of seeing it played live to picture -- while sitting about 3 feet away from Greenwood and PTA. They smelled good.

Fantastic score, fantastic movie, and both don't get enough credit. I feel like they flew under the radar too much, so thanks for posting it.

I am SO FUCKING JEALOUS right now, that's amazing. Still bummed the Minneapolis area didn't get either that option or one of the 70mm prints.

We did get Ready Player One on 70mm, because the universe is mocking me.

Still can't believe the score lost the Oscar to Desplat for Shape of Water. Don't get me wrong, Desplat is great and his wasn't a bad score by any stretch of the imagination, but Greenwood wrote my favorite movie music of at least the last decade.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-01-25 05:11:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BDA putting the Dubious in 'Dubious musical taste'...

(language warning nsfw)

Someone sent me this guy a few days ago, and his entire album is equally delightful.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0sPURcvc … Z-NRmnS_Og

ZangrethorDigital.ca

@BDA, if you dig that you might like this track by Emilie Autumn; not necessarily a fan of hers in general but this particular song is black-comic period perfection.

In other news, god this recording is gorgeous.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

@BDA, if you dig that you might like this track by Emilie Autumn; not necessarily a fan of hers in general but this particular song is black-comic period perfection.

It's funny, I got SUPER into Emilie Autumn for like a week after the first time I watched Devil's Carnival (So, like, 2013 maybe?), and then just stopped, it had ran it's course and I don't think I've actually listened to any of her stuff since.

But indeed, this one is pretty fantastic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, she and Amanda Palmer share the same "manageable in small doses but really obnoxious if you listen to them for too long" vibe for me, but both have highlights that I'll revisit periodically.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Watched Scorsese's The Age of Innocence for the first time last night; Elmer Bernstein's score is so pretty.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mongolian metal. Fk yeah.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Thumbs up Thumbs down