Topic: Nuke

Does anyone work or play with Nukehttps://www.foundry.com/products/nuke? Specifically the node-based compositor side of things?

I'm thinking of dedicating some time to learning it, as it looks fairly sweet and has a basically full featured non-commercial version for learning on...

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Nuke

I shall direct you to the social thread, for what has been said about Nuke already:

http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=2098

As you were.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

Nuke is my primary skill as a compositing artist. I made the shots for Writhyn's The Hyacinth Disaster's trailer almost entirely with it (aside from a few Arnold renders in Maya and optical flares with After Effects). It's powerful, optimized as hell, offers almost no limitation to what you can do with it (I created particle effects and even lit and rendered part of the CG directly in it), and the non-commercial version kicks ass because aside from a few disabled nodes (like exporting geometry) and a resolution limitation (no higher than Full HD), it's basically the full software.

There's no reason not to give it a try if you've got a few hours to spare. The node system may take some getting used to depending essentially on the way your brain works. But to me, it makes much more sense than a layer system, because it's everything a layer system does and so much more. It creates a natural flow of actions and is deeply visual; if you organize your graph correctly, your process can be understood at a glance.

I'd write/record a quick overview of it for the forum but I won't be home for a month. In any case I think can answer most questions you might have about it!

Jooooiiiiiiin uuuuussssss...

*I may have to be re-titled as "Nuke Guru" but I just don't see myself relinquishing my Pimp of Trey status*

Last edited by Saniss (2017-12-24 12:11:51)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Installed. Never opened. It scares me.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Installed. Opened. Couldn't import video. Closed it.

It's been 4 years.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I messed with it a little a few years ago. I seem to recall it wanting png sequences as opposed to video.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

I'd write/record a quick overview of it for the forum but I won't be home for a month.

dooo eeeet

[in a month]

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jdubs wrote:

I messed with it a little a few years ago. I seem to recall it wanting png sequences as opposed to video.

Oh no, it likes pretty much everything, although OpenEXR is the best you can go for.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, and, Dubs — as a sixteen-year disciple of After Effects, let me advise you: fuck After Effects, learn Nuke.

Also, while you're not quite talking about diving into the industry in general, you might get something out of this conversation Tweebles and I had a while back about all kinds of topics like this, including Nuke vs. After Effects.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll just quickly listen to this and type a quick reply, it's only....3.5 hours(!)

Actually, I'll type a reply and then listen.

I'm wrapping up associates in software dev in August and thinking of a move back down the coast, if not all the way to LA then at least the bay area, and figure I should tune up on Nuke on the side (and sharpen up those comedy knives...)

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I finished listening to it, after converting it for my phone. smile
Then I took a shot at installing nuke on arch linux which has given me troubles in the past...and...it fires right up, so I'm going to dedicate some time to learning it. 

For wayward wanderers in the future, here is the nuke training resources page.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you use archlinux?

You're crazy.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I actually use Antergos, after installing arch a few times and getting frustrated by having to keep troubleshooting. smile

Antergos is arch based, so still slim and bleeding edge, but it can be installed and maintained by anyone willing to learn to use pacman.

On a related note, my library card gives me access to Lynda.com, and it has a very good Nuke course which I'm 33% into. Nuke is very well thought out.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:
Saniss wrote:

I'd write/record a quick overview of it for the forum but I won't be home for a month.

dooo eeeet

doooooooo eeeeeeeeeet

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:
Teague wrote:
Saniss wrote:

dooo eeeet

doooooooo eeeeeeeeeet

deeeeeeeeeeewww eeeeeeaaaaat

...what?

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net