Topic: VFX Advice Request - Interactive Fire Lighting

Hey all, I shot a scene last night with an orange light standing in for an offscreen campfire. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for:

A) Getting the light to flicker. My guess would be something something red channel Wiggler but I don't know, can play around with it myself but thought I'd ask first.

B) A different shot that's nearly looking over the fire, I'd like to get some heat distortion on his face in the background; if anyone's got tips on making that look good it'd be helpful.

Scene and lighting in question:

https://i.imgur.com/IEg2qjo.png

Thanks smile

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: VFX Advice Request - Interactive Fire Lighting

Catnip! Video uploading.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I think this video is less boring (or at least more densely interesting) than such walkthroughs tend to be — talkin' about philosophies of VFX, shit like that — and in any case, hopefully it answers your questions.

Here's the smoke element I used. Here's my project, if you want to poke around in it (sorry it's such a mess; I left it with the same bad organization you'd recognize from the video, rather than tidying it up), and here's a copy of the image frame, which I guess one could just as easily download from your original post.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yayyyyyy

My AE is still stuck at CS3, but I can follow along pretty well. (Jeez Color Neutralizer is like magic.) Taking a quick break from this, when I get back I'll go over the color stuff and apply all that, then come back and look at the heat distortion part.

Thanks dude, this is awesome big_smile Yay catnip.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Instead of Color Neutralizer, you could probably get pretty close in Hue / Saturation by lowering the saturation and slightly increasing the lightness for the reds, oranges and yellows.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any thoughts on keeping the blue "moon" backlight behind them a constant brightness while the front light flickers, or is that just going to be hand roto to isolate it?

My AE is so old that it doesn't have Color Neutralizer but I've got the same look down with Hue/Saturation, thanks.

You might be able to pull a matte from the color information, but, yeah, I'd expect to do fuzzy rotos.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well of course YouTube darkened it to hell and back, so onto Vimeo's limited space it goes.

Decided not to try to compensate for dimming blue in the background, always made the foreground too blue and, at this stage, not something I want to try to roto with shoulder-mounted shots. But hey, I can follow directions! Now onto the tough stuff tongue

Password: 4thtraveler

Chyeaaaaaah dawg. Looks sick.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I figured out how to keep the blue in the back.

Dude, totally. That's pretty much exactly the trick I would have been hopin' would work.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Password: 4thtraveler

Not 100% on the heat distortion. Not sure if I need to decrease the distortion, give it less detail to work with, or what. Posting this and going to bed, coming back a bit in the morning and later in the week. (Not 100% opposed to nixing them but after so much trouble I'd like to see some version of them make it in.)

This was really fun to work on today. Thanks for the thorough walkthrough, Teague. Let me know if you're happy with VFX Consultant or if you want outright VFX Artist credit tongue

If it weren't for the fact I knew it was fake, I probably wouldn't spot it.
I was looking for it to happen the entire scene, and when it did, I already knew it was fake.

I'd probably have it in a few more shots, as the one time it did appear, it was more or less a close-up of the previous shot, that made it feel a tad forced. I'd have a subtle version on there in some of the wider shots to help establish it.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

In the wider shots the fire's supposed to be off-screen (so I don't have to add in the fire itself).

That being said, on the wider of the two shot's it's there, I may add in a lick of flame at the bottom, need to play with it, to help cement that it's a different angle. (I tried to shoot it more head-on but didn't want to block the lights, should have moved them to suit the shot.) I've also decreased the amount of distortion so it's a bit more subtle.

Thanks for the feedback smile

Smoke.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down