Re: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Also, I have this amusing re-cut in my head where after the scene of the alien complaining about their illegal beach parking it just hard cuts to Finn and Rose in jail, and it's up to us to assume what happened in between. But given how mad some people are that we didn't learn every little detail about Snoke, I don't think that'd go over well.

This wouldn't have fixed all of the issues I have with Canto, primarily Conveniently Placed Saviour™ Del Toro. But it definitely would have improved it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

I'm surprised the execs didn't force in another completely out of place tentacle monsters.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alex wrote:

Just saw it a second time, and I have to say, basically all of my issues disappeared this time around -- including, surprisingly, my issues with pacing and the humour. I definitely got what Disney is trying to do here. It all just sort of fell into place, and the pacing felt right, and the humor worked,* and the story felt altogether tighter.

*One important factor with the humor is that the theater I was in was basically empty (due to a snow storm). The humor definitely plays much better when the rest of the audience isn't laughing (because I'm not -- at most I chuckle internally). Instead, a lot of it feels like genuine character moments as opposed to forced attempts humor. Definitely wouldn't have called that, to be honest.

I'm finding myself wanting to go back and watch TFA, and am feeling these movies fit better into the overarching story with the OT. I'm slightly stunned.

My ranking is still the same (best since Empire), and my script suggestions still stand (1. Get rid of Phasma, she's pointless and adds an unnecessary, slightly exhausting battle that steals thunder from the final one; 2. Either kill Leia off straight away in the bridge attack and let Ben live with the guilt of almost killing his mother, or let Leia not be written out of the script and take Laura Dern's place, sacrificing herself to save the Rebellion...either of these is more thematically rich; and 3. replace Rose with Poe on the Canto Bight adventure), though the fact that what we have could potentially be improved really didn't bother me at all -- what's there works for me.

Oh, and Benicio still chewed through so much scenery, I'm surprised there were any ships left to blow up. That man is just a joy to watch.

I had pretty much the same experience. Leaving the cinema first time round, I really didn't know what to make of it - did I like it, did I hate it? I wasn't sure, but spent pretty much the entire next day just thinking about this film. Had to go for the second watch and like you said, pretty much most of my issues went away. So much richer on a second watch and I can't wait to see it again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Home video releases have been announced. No 3D Blu-ray for the US (there is one for the UK listed at amazon.co.uk).

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nathan Butler provides an overview of home video releases:

There's also an Honest Trailer:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, look! There's a Plinkett review!

Thumbs up Thumbs down