Re: Dubious musical taste.

(Not as of 1999, though I guess not directly.)

(Fun fact: I was looking for that line in the wrong scene for a few minutes.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Periodic reminder that Stephen Sondheim is the once and future king.

My fascination for Eurovision withstanding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evx0aAF79-E

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just started on Dark Souls II and I think this is gonna be my new default relaxation music.

I know that game from being pizzafied on the internet.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BIGBANG dropped their latest single Flower Road today, and it could not be more perfect.

Some context: The members of BIGBANG are being drafted up for their mandatory military service this year, so the group will be on hiatus for a few years. This song is simultaneously a remembrance of the good times, a goodbye, and a promise to return. Here's a translation of the 3rd verse:

Good old days, back then
You and me were together
I was lonely and sad sometimes
But still, you and me were together
I cried a lot, but I also smiled a lot
There are too many memories in my head
This too shall pass
I'll see you again, when all flowers bloom

I'm a die hard fan, but I was still surprised by how much emotion this song carries for me. I know most of you wont really care, but I just love this song so much and I had to share.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

This is poppier than I would have expected.

Nice.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sad

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As it's appropriate for the occasion:

I knew Midlake through their album Antiphon, which I though was rather nice and had kind of a solemn feel. Nothing fancy.

But then I found out about an older album of theirs, The Trials of Van Occupanther. It has nothing to do with Antiphon. It's 52 minutes of incredibly soft, vibrant, nostalgic music and I just can't stop listening to it. The explanation for such a difference is that Midlake used to have a guy named Tim Smith as their all-around mastermind, a sensitive man strongly tied to how he expresses himself in his music (who left the band after the next album, then divorced with his wife, then moved back in his parents' home with his gear and dog, focusing on making an album that's still unfinished after six years. I dont envy him.). He reminds me a lot of Fleet Foxes' Robin Pecknold whom I've talked about in this same thread.

The Trials of Van Occupanther is built around a concept, though I'm not sure exactly what it is yet. But songs like Roscoe and Bandits put images in my head of a simpler life, closer to nature. Nostalgia for something I've never lived. I relate to it even when I have next to no idea what it's talking about. I think that's one of the most powerful aspects of music.

Last edited by Saniss (2018-07-16 09:11:59)

Sébastien Fraud - Compositing Artist / Currently VFX Supervisor at TRIARII Prod, France.
Facebook Page  500px Gallery

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The Courage of Others, although a difficult production because it would be the last one before Tim Smith departed the band, is also a very good listen. All albums are on Spotify.

Sébastien Fraud - Compositing Artist / Currently VFX Supervisor at TRIARII Prod, France.
Facebook Page  500px Gallery

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's time to celebrate. For we have new Aphex Twin.

(epilepsy warning)

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2018-08-07 15:58:44)

The Wobbling Warrior

WHAAAAAAAAT

Hooray! And I don't even have time to listen to it right now!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, I haven't listened to Aphex Twin in years. Next stop, Hexstatic.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down