Re: Dubious musical taste.

The only thing better than tongue-in-cheek 80s lesbian honky-tonk

is the same band doing an utterly ethereal cover of "Sweet Jane."

Last edited by Abbie (2018-12-12 22:24:41)

Been getting into some funk-inspired jazz lately—the Hammond organ/electric guitar combo is just ear candy.

*clicks play on first video*

*waits nine seconds*

*is fully into it*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

These are all wonderful and have a delicious groove. I dig it.

If it's not about musicals, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Oof. Themz some bloody snazzy tracks.

Hurroo

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I don't often listen to music. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I...don't like it. It just doesn't often occur to me to put something on, and it's usually an orchestral soundtrack when I do happen to get the urge.

So my musical taste is perhaps the most dubious of all tongue

Anywho, here's a band I was exposed to quite on accident this past weekend (short story, not short enough). They sound really good live.

Sawyer
https://open.spotify.com/album/4ulwAiKLIFWUnX5g7uwdKO

This EP is fun as hell, particularly The Last Thing.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It can take a little while getting used to that guy's voice, though he's softened it a bit over the years. He's been compared a lot to Bob Dylan (though Dylan was never Swedish, as far as I know!).

Love Is All is his one song I always come back to. It's sad and very powerful.

(it's also a great guitar exercise tongue )

Last edited by Saniss (2019-01-18 15:54:09)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook Page | 500px Gallery

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With the Oscar nominees announced today, thought I'd take the opportunity to share bits of my favorite movie scores from the last year.

Jonny Greenwood, Phantom Thread

Nicholas Britell, If Beale Street Could Talk

Carter Burwell, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow, Annihilation

Last edited by Abbie (2019-01-22 18:58:41)

Phantom Thread is awesome. I had the pleasure of seeing it played live to picture -- while sitting about 3 feet away from Greenwood and PTA. They smelled good.

Fantastic score, fantastic movie, and both don't get enough credit. I feel like they flew under the radar too much, so thanks for posting it.

I am SO FUCKING JEALOUS right now, that's amazing. Still bummed the Minneapolis area didn't get either that option or one of the 70mm prints.

We did get Ready Player One on 70mm, because the universe is mocking me.

Still can't believe the score lost the Oscar to Desplat for Shape of Water. Don't get me wrong, Desplat is great and his wasn't a bad score by any stretch of the imagination, but Greenwood wrote my favorite movie music of at least the last decade.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-01-25 05:11:25)

BDA putting the Dubious in 'Dubious musical taste'...

(language warning nsfw)

Someone sent me this guy a few days ago, and his entire album is equally delightful.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0sPURcvc … Z-NRmnS_Og

ZangrethorDigital.ca

@BDA, if you dig that you might like this track by Emilie Autumn; not necessarily a fan of hers in general but this particular song is black-comic period perfection.

In other news, god this recording is gorgeous.

Abbie wrote:

@BDA, if you dig that you might like this track by Emilie Autumn; not necessarily a fan of hers in general but this particular song is black-comic period perfection.

It's funny, I got SUPER into Emilie Autumn for like a week after the first time I watched Devil's Carnival (So, like, 2013 maybe?), and then just stopped, it had ran it's course and I don't think I've actually listened to any of her stuff since.

But indeed, this one is pretty fantastic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, she and Amanda Palmer share the same "manageable in small doses but really obnoxious if you listen to them for too long" vibe for me, but both have highlights that I'll revisit periodically.

Watched Scorsese's The Age of Innocence for the first time last night; Elmer Bernstein's score is so pretty.

Mongolian metal. Fk yeah.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Albums I've been listening to a lot lately:

Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog:

I was not a huge fan of the previous couple of 'new' AIC albums with the new lineup. I would have preferred them to have been considered Cantrell albums. They didn't sound like AIC.

This entire album sounds like AIC. Not the singing, obviously that's not quite the same, but the tone and the general sort of sound going on feels very much like a logical continuation of where AIC was before Stanley died. Super impressed with the album.

Madder Mortem - Marrow:

This has been one of my favorite bands for some time, and as Katatonia and Opeth have gone rogue and done some questionable things lately (I still love Opeth, but Katatonia's new stuff feels like a husk of their former work), Madder Mortem's latest is like a weird return to their roots with a couple of decades of experience under their belts. Their prior album, Red In Tooth And Claw, wasn't bad but it was a very different sound for them. Some of the tracks were great, but as a whole it felt off and sub-par. This is not only a return to form, but it harkens back to their first couple of albums in terms of the pace. While this is a fast-ish song, there are maybe three tracks on the album that move at this rate. The rest are slightly more laid back while keeping the change-ups and the vocals aren't always so in-your-face. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just reminds me of their earlier stuff.

None - Life Has Gone On Long Enough:

I don't generally do this sort of droney, repetitive metal, but there's something about the lo-fi quality of this album that keeps making me listen to it. Black metal tends to sound very lo-fi, but there are layers going on in the background noise that is not normal here. You can hear things going on under all the distortion and fuzziness. And the general tunes are quite up my alley, so I just kinda dig it.

Uaral - Lamentos A Poema Muerto:

Two-person 'band' classified as 'doom / folk metal' by most places, but that does not even begin to describe what they do. It is classical acoustic guitar + the deepest gutteral metal growls I've ever heard + amazing melodies + screaming and sobbing. It is without a doubt one of the most and least listenable things ever. I kindof love them.

I listened to their first album for years, but this one is far and away the better album. Every time one of their tracks comes on while I'm working I can't help but imagine a scene from the Pixar film Coco, only with this music. It amuses me.

Most of the rest of my playlist is fairly mundane. I've been listening to a lot of City Pop and 60's and 70's Italian library music for some reason while I'm at home, but work is mostly metal with some 80s Adult contemporary thrown in...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've been listening to a lot of  [...] 60's and 70's Italian library music for some reason

O_O

Go onnnnn

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oh dude, Youtube is awash in some funky-ass italian shit from the 70s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDEHSy … UUOHc84PEk

That's the first playlist hit from hundreds I just found with a search.
Like, just search for playlists of 50s 60s or 70s library music. There's tons of it and it ranges from sleazy-ass funk/jazz to weirdo moogy psychedelic shit. Add your country of choice (italian, soviet, UK / british, etc) to get some from specific areas. The italian playlists tend to include guys like Morricone and Savina. The russian stuff usually heads into more synth / experimental stuff. UK and US stuff tends more towards easy listening. Italian is like easy-listening but a lot of funk and bad-ass bass lines.

I love it.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2019-03-04 00:38:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down