Topic: Official 2018 Oscars Thread

And the nominees (skipping the shorts because my fingers) are . . .

SPOILER Show
Best Picture
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Best Original Screenplay
Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor, The Shape of Water
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Najiani, The Big Sick
Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Jordan Peele, Get Out

Best Adapted Screenplay
James Ivory, Call Me By Your Name
James Mangold, Michael Green and Scott Frank, Logan
Dee Rees and Virgil Williams, Mudbound
Aaron Sorkin, Molly's Game
Michael H. Weber and Scott Neustadter, The Disaster Artist

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins, Blade Runner 2049
Bruno Delbonnel, Darkest Hour
Hoyte van Hoytema, Dunkirk
Dan Laustsen, The Shape of Water
Rachel Morrison, Mudbound

Best Editing
Jonathan Amos and Paul MacHliss, Baby Driver
Jon Gregory, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Tatiana S. Riegel, I, Tonya
Lee Smith, Dunkirk
Sidney Wolinsky, The Shape of Water

Best Visual Effects
Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon, Joe Letteri and Joel Whist, War for the Planet of the Apes
Ben Morris, Chris Corbould, Mike Mulholland and Neal Scanlan, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Gerd Nefzer, John Nelson, Paul Lambert and Richard R. Hoover, Blade Runner 2049
Christopher Townsend, Dan Sudick, Guy Williams and Jonathan Fawkner, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Jeff White, Mike Meinardus, Scott Benza and Stephen Rosenbaum, Kong: Skull Island

Best Sound Editing
Alex Gibson and Richard King, Dunkirk
Mark Mangini and Theo Green, Blade Runner 2049
Nathan Robitaille and Nelson Ferreira, The Shape of Water
Julian Slater, Baby Driver
Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best Sound Mixing
Doug Hemphill, Mac Ruth and Ron Bartlett, Blade Runner 2049
David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Stuart Wilson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Gary A. Rizzo, Gregg Landaker and Mark Weingarten, Dunkirk
Julian Slater, Mary H. Ellis and Tim Cavagin, Baby Driver
Brad Zoern, Christian T. Cooke and Glen Gauthier, The Shape of Water

Best Original Score
Carter Burwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Alexandre Desplat, The Shape of Water
Jonny Greenwood, Phantom Thread
John Williams, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Hans Zimmer, Dunkirk

Best Original Song
"Mighty River," Mudbound
"Mystery of Love," Call Me By Your Name
"Remember Me," Coco
"Stand Up for Something," Marshall
"This Is Me," The Greatest Showman

Best Costume Design
Consolata Boyle, Victoria and Abdul
Mark Bridges, Phantom Thread
Jacqueline Durran, Beauty and the Beast
Jacqueline Durran, Darkest Hour
Luis Sequeira, The Shape of Water

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
David Malinowski, Kazuhiro Tsuji and Lucy Sibbick, Darkest Hour
Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard, Victoria & Abdul
Arjen Tuiten, Wonder

Best Production Design
Paul D. Austerberry, The Shape of Water
Nathan Crowley, Dunkirk
Dennis Gassner, Blade Runner 2049
Sarah Greenwood, Beauty and the Beast
Sarah Greenwood, Darkest Hour

Best Animated Feature
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Best Documentary Feature
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Faces Places
Icarus
Last Man in Aleppo
Strong Island

Best Foreign Language Film
A Fantastic Woman
The Insult
Loveless
On Body and Soul
The Square

Holy shit Best Director is stacked this year. I'd be thrilled for any of these nominees to win.

So, who will win? Who should win? Who should have been nominated but wasn't? I'll be posting later when I'm not supposed to be working. tongue

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-01-23 15:34:19)

Re: Official 2018 Oscars Thread

Best Picture

Will win: The Shape of Water. It's been sweeping a ton of "this means you're gonna get the Oscar, folks" awards, and while it's not strictly about movies it does carry that vibe of nostalgia for a different time that the Academy loves (not to mention a protagonist who lives above a movie theatre and

SPOILER Show
has a romantic dance number with a fish man
). Couple that with Del Toro being as popular as he is and the number of nominations it's received, and I think this is the one to beat.

Should win: Lady Bird. This is one of the most assured directorial debuts I've ever seen, and I'm . . . suspicious, we'll put it, of the motives of those who say it's slight due to its teen-girl subject matter. It's a wonderfully nuanced character piece that has such an extraordinary degree of empathy for every one of its characters, and the constant juggling it has to do with tone and pacing is incredible.

Best Director
Will win: . . . . fuck knows. Nolan, maybe, in a Gravity-style nod to the technical showcase of Dunkirk? Gerwig, due to her massive snub at the Globes? Peele due to the same? I couldn't tell you.

Should win: I'd honestly be happy with any one of these nominees walking away with a statue. Del Toro to a lesser extent than the other four, but still.

Best Actor
Will win: Gary Oldman. The Academy loves them some late-stage career overacting, especially when it's coupled with a physical transformation.

Should win: Daniel Kaluuya or Timothee Chalamet. DDL nabbing one last statue would be cool, and he was great, but the subtlety Kaluuya and Chalamet brought to their roles was incredible for two comparatively young actors. Kaluuya especially had to pull off such a wide range of mostly buried emotions in the span of just 90 minutes.

Best Actress
Will win: Frances McDormand. At this point the buzz saying she'll get it has built to such a high that I don't think anything could stop it.

Should win: Sally Hawkins. Her performance was completely captivating, and had the added challenge of coming through nothing but her face and her physicality.

Best Supporting Actor
Will win: Willem Dafoe. Not only does he deserve it, the presence of two Three Billboards players in this category will split that movie's vote. Should win: Willem Dafoe. The Florida Project deserved nods for just about everything this year, so its one nominee had better get the gold.

Best Supporting Actress
Will win: Allison Janney. Should win: Laurie Metcalf.

Best Original Screenplay
Will win: probably fucking Three Billboards. Should win: anything but fucking Three Billboards.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Will win: Call Me By Your Name. Should win: see previous.

Best Original Score
Will win: I'm leaning toward Desplat here. It's the friendliest of the scores here for sure, and smacks of Old-Time Hollywood.

Should win: Greenwood. Phantom Thread is the best score he's done to this point, this sinister gorgeous Hitchcockian mass of romance and anxiety.

Best Cinematograhy
Will win: Deakins. It's time. Should win: Hoytema, but I'll relent if it ensures Roger Deakins finally getting a goddamn competitive Oscar.

Best Visual Effects
Will win: if ever there's been a lock, it should be War for the Planet of the Apes. Should win: yep, give it to Caesar, you guys. It's been six years, come on.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-01-23 16:52:35)

Here we gooooooooo  (in 35 minutes).

I’m 4/4 so far, did all my predictions on the official Oscars site with no easy way of pasting them here. As is tradition as well, I had to put a few cheeky little bets on. The win for Icarus got me a nice £20!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Goddammit, I guess the entire Planet of the Apes trilogy is just walking away emptyhanded then.

I'm doin' okay. Been right about all my predictions so far. Only made like three predictions, though.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And there goes my streak, thanks Documentary short!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FUCK YEAH GET OUT

(required small text here)

Roger can finally rest.

*accepts his Oscar after thirteen nominations and zero wins, promptly becomes one with the Force, vanishing into the ether*

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-03-05 03:51:04)

Managed to predict all but three correctly. Live Action Short, Documentary Short and Best Original Song let me down - but 21 out of 24 ain't bad at all!

Frances McDormand absolutely killed it with her speech.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You're definitely the resident winner, of the 18 predictions I ended up making I got 12.

Welp, 2017 was the best year for film this decade. These Oscars were . . . not, but Get Out nabbing Best Screenplay, Deakins finally getting gold, and Phantom Thread going home not entirely empty-handed makes me happy.

In all honesty I couldn't care less who won an Oscar anymore.
After Suicide Squad won for best makeup, over Star Trek Beyond.

...it's just... beyond me.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

It is, but as I saw Darkest Hour last week, that the makeup team won an Oscar for it is at the very least something done right. Such incredible work, paired with Oldman's performance, holy cow. I never even told myself "Huh, that's great makeup", or "Gary Oldman is good", I just thought "What a strange old man".

Last edited by Saniss (2018-03-06 16:24:08)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darkest Hour was fuckin' brilliant, I'll give them that.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I was bummed out that Logan didn't win for Best Adapted Screenplay. But I hadn't seen the other noms, so I'm sure the one that took home the Oscar (I think it was Call Me by my Name or whatever) won.

Beyond that, I didn't actually watch, or pay much attention to the Oscars. Not out of some defiant stand, I just don't have TV and there wasn't a convenient way to catch them otherwise. In the past I've watched movies that won Best Picture or were nominated because I figured "hey these must be good" and they turned out to be decent but not great. Take "Lincoln", for example.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

This crop of BP nominees was mostly good at bucking that trend, fortunately. The Post is merely solid, Three Billboards is a mess, and Darkest Hour is terrible, but the remaining six nominees are all very good to great. I connected least to The Shape of Water on an emotional level, but I get that every time with Del Toro so I can't count it against the film.

Cloe and I have pretty much that same read on del Toro, fwiw — as in, thinking he's lovely as a dude, but liking his movies less than the rest of the world seems to.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it's a bizarre thing. His stuff is so exactly within my wheelhouse–Crimson Peak and Shape of Water especially–but I just don't feel anything. I don't begrudge people their ecstatic feels toward his stuff, I just genuinely don't get it beyond distantly admiring it as well-put-together. The Devil's Backbone came closest to overcoming that, and even then I don't really have any overwhelming affection for it.

Ah well. As you say, he's lovely, so even though I don't think he deserved either Best Director or Best Picture I'm quite alright with him getting them. Hey, at least it wasn't Three Billboards.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-03-21 20:46:27)

Fuckin' Three Billboards.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down