Re: Thread for being deeply, non-fatalistically worn out about something

Warning: Novel ahead.

First of all, thank you all for letting me get that off my chest. Since I wrote that Amanda's doctor went to bat for her and got the surgery approve shortly after that post. She had the surgery January 16 and is currently halfway through recovery.

The good news is is that there were no complications. The doctor said no complications, and removed what endometriosis he found (I'll save you all the gory details-however, someday I want to make a feature film about it wink ).  So, Amanda is in the clear, and she had her uterus removed, but kept the ovaries meaning no menopause!

I was able to take 10 days off of work and she survived my first week back to work. She is currently working through PT, and healing, which can be the hardest part since, right now, she can't bend down. And, you do not know how much you bend until you can't.  Oops.

She also lost some weight, since her uterus was overweight by 12 kilos.

Thank you again for bearing with me. Here is hoping she is more physically able post recovery.

Oh, and I have gotten to share with her some bits of FIYH quips from different commentaries, as well as Teague's music. She now wants to visit LA and hang out. What have I done? big_smile

Last edited by fireproof78 (2019-02-02 03:30:55)

God loves you!

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Hooray! No complications! I just learned about endometriosis! That's horrifying!

Congratulations on the newly-being-healthy — and, yeah: if y'all ever find y'allselves in my neck of the woods, don't be a stranger. We'll go to Disneyland or somethin.' Vasquez Rocks. Burbank. Walgreens. Somethin.'

smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Great news, man. Glad to hear you guys are okay. All the best to your recovering badass gal.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

WONDERFUL news. Absolute best wishes for the recovery.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Great news, dude! I'm happy for her, and you by extension.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Y'all are wonderful.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Party games. I mean Cards Against Humanity and everything that followed it. Often going for shock value humor and the same damn style of gameplay as CAH took from Apples to Apples. What Do You Meme? is the latest that I've noticed and just... I like the idea of a short game that's easy to pick up and play but I'm kind of just done with them. I'd rather spend an hour on a game with more nuance and less "well you need to know that Tracy likes cerebral answers and Emily goes for cheap dick jokes".

(This post prompted by seeing a new game from Matthew Inman, as a follow-up to Exploding Kittens, and me just going, "Ehhhh.")

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Yeah, I could be done with Matthew Inman forever.

*thumbs up*

Anyway. Have you tried Jackbox games? That's where my friend-group has drifted lately.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have never been a person who likes party games and would usually rather read in the corner. I get the worn-out feeling.
However, my gang discovered that What Do You Meme is fun if you make your own memes. We've all known each other since high school (or before) and pulled out the absolute worst pictures we could find. Awkward school dance pictures and homemade Shrek costumes and webcam photobooth snapshots. It's become a fun way of relieving memories together.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

I've joined in on a few Jackbox stuff, good middle ground between "pull this off the table and play it quick" and "let's set aside an hour". It does shift attention to the TV though which I've lately been trying to avoid when I have folks over for a hangout/party/whatever.

I've never been into the build-a-joke style games like Cards Against Humanity or Apples to Apples, the humor has just never really landed for me. I've enjoyed the Jackbox stuff, and usually it's quite fun, but sometimes I'm just not up to the task of being witty on the spot. Recently my go to party game has been Codenames, which is a fun little word game played in teams, and that's been a huge hit. I've also had success in the past with Concept, which is a non-verbal communication/guessing game like Pictionary or Charades, but with the upside that no one has to draw or act.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Build-a-joke, that's a good term for the type I'm most sick of. Related one I tried was Punderdome. It is basically impossible to be presented with two unrelated things (car, breakfast) and come up with a good pun. A joke or turn of phrase, maybe, but in the two times I've played it I've never had anyone play one so good that it is worth remembering five minutes after the game ends (unlike some star Cards Against Humanity plays I've had in the past).

Disney is officially making sequels to their live-action remakes. There's no bottom.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sequels -> Trilogies -> Franchises -> Reboots -> Remakes -> [Sequels to Remakes ->] Universes

Prepare for the Disneyverse.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Sequels -> Trilogies -> Franchises -> Reboots -> Remakes -> [Sequels to Remakes ->] Universes

To dovetail on to this I am so over Marvel now. I remember the Avengers commentary where Trey states that he will watch the film if Disney releases his family. That's how I feel with the Avengers and Marvel and all this constant drivel that somehow makes the films less and less appealing to watch the more they advertise them.

Seriously, Marvel has invaded all the things I used to enjoy from Legos, to Star Trek to Star Wars and on and on. I simply do not care what Thanos does, why he does it or how Marvel has crafted the gold standard of movie making series...no, that was Lord of the Rings. Ugh... *head desk*

How is your May?

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

How is your May?

Don't ask the British.

That is all.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oi. the rioting in the streets hasen't spread to here yet. Keep your snarky comments to your self. Ugh.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, both our countries are falling apart, at least let me have my cheap wordplay!

(for what it's worth, it wasn't meant to be snarky. Sorry if it ended up looking that way.)

Last edited by Saniss (2019-05-07 08:31:02)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this board.

I am not deeply, non-fatalistically worn out about this board.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Littering.
Some people see no problem with tossing their used packages on the street. My house is bordered by such a street, which is a no-mans land on an ambiguous municipal boundary. It's thickly bushed which makes sprucing it up a physical pain. There are several regular litterers, I find the same products disposed of in roughly the same location weekly if not daily. Drink cans, glass pint liquor bottles, whole fast-food meals worth of trash wrapped up in the main paper bag.
How do you motivate people to knock that shit off?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oh God yes, it's awful. Cigarette butts are a constant wherever you look even as they get more and more stigmatized. I used to have to sweep the walk in front of the grocery store in the morning and like, there's an ash can *right there* guys, come on. Also people just hucking them out car windows, embers flying everywhere.

That's a specific example of it, but yeah. Littering, man. If you're brought up not caring it's really hard to make you care.

fireproof78 wrote:
Teague wrote:

To dovetail on to this I am so over Marvel now. I remember the Avengers commentary where Trey states that he will watch the film if Disney releases his family. That's how I feel with the Avengers and Marvel and all this constant drivel that somehow makes the films less and less appealing to watch the more they advertise them.

Seriously, Marvel has invaded all the things I used to enjoy from Legos, to Star Trek to Star Wars and on and on. I simply do not care what Thanos does, why he does it or how Marvel has crafted the gold standard of movie making series...no, that was Lord of the Rings. Ugh... *head desk*

How is your May?

Yes.  More of this sentiment.  The problem with the MCU is the sheer fucking QUANTITY of it.  It's not a quality thing, because I'd argue most are decently made and dare I say enjoyable, HOWEVER the success of said universe has really oversaturated the holy fuck out of everything else in the movieverse.  We've averaged one Star Wars film a year - but at least lucasfilm seemed to be able to step in and pump the brakes after SOLO (hell, we won't see another FILM after IX for three years(!), which honestly is GREAT news (do we count The Mandalorian?)  I'm getting sidetracked here.  Point is - imagine if the MCU didn't exist.  Thanos the films from the universe and our minds.  Are we still feeling oversaturated on all things nerd without the MCU?

Last edited by Chad Peter (2019-05-09 04:33:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The issue isn't even how much content they're pumping out, it's that it's completely broken the theatrical distribution model. I checked AMC showtimes near me yesterday and there are literally like five non-MCU movies showing on screens right now, getting three or four screenings a day. That includes brand-new releases. It was already hard to see movies below a certain budget outside of metropolitan areas, especially if they weren't distributed by one of the big studios—now it's almost straight-up impossible to see a smaller movie at a theater for more than a one- or two-week window if you don't live near a big city.

Exacerbating that is the model where if you don't make a windfall your opening weekend, your movie is considered a flop and will be buried as quickly as possible. Throw on top of that Disney's increasingly tyrannical rules with theater chains about how long they're required to play the latest blockbuster and on how many screens, and it's basically the death of the medium for small towns.

If it weren't the MCU it'd be another franchise, but the unique ability of the MCU to churn out multiple movies a year is just accelerating the cycle.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-05-09 04:44:40)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

The issue isn't even how much content they're pumping out, it's that it's completely broken the theatrical distribution model. I checked AMC showtimes near me yesterday and there are literally like five non-MCU movies showing on screens right now, getting three or four screenings a day.

So we're back to Sorcerer flopping cos Star Wars got released?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I wouldn't say that specific situation is comparable—Sorcerer wasn't a midbudget or indie flick, it had twice the budget of Star Wars and was intended to be the blockbuster followup to The Exorcist. If it were a question of the MCU shutting out, like, the next Jurassic World movie, I'd say let them eat each other, but in this case it's smaller films that are being hurt the worst.

EDIT: That said, despite my love for Star Wars it and to a lesser extent Spielberg did basically usher in this stuff; it's just been turbocharged in recent years. They didn't necessarily cement opening weekend disease, though—Star Wars only opened in thirty theatres, and even as recently as 2009 Avatar could have a pretty small December opening and still be given the chance to snowball. (Granted, "pretty small" in this case is still like $70 million.)

Last edited by Abbie (2019-05-09 16:28:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down