Topic: What are you up to these days?

Hey guys,

I work a million hours now. I'm an artist/director at Intel (I know, weird right? But yes) plus I run a side business to earn some extra cash because I'm a husband and father and I'm the only breadwinner. That being said, my schedule is kind of nuts, so you don't see me on here as often as a result. Also my wife and I are selling our house in Oregon and preparing to relocate back to Arizona in a couple of months.

Usually the chat seems to be an ongoing "what's up" thread, but since I can't always follow the chat...

How's it going? What are y'all up to these days?

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Re: What are you up to these days?

Welp, I graduated college December 2016, and ever since then I've been working for a publisher in Minneapolis. We're a very small staff (only seven people counting me), but we're constantly expanding and I love the job. Our nonfiction books aren't my thing and our fiction books are usually pretty terrible, but we've been getting better and better stuff and the badness of the not-better books can sometimes be entertaining in and of itself–I've edited multiple books in a truly terrible YA mermaid romance series, AMA. tongue

Outside of that, I've gotten a couple pieces of writing published here and there and am looking to continue in that direction. Still only articles/essays and no short fiction, but I'm hoping to fix that this year.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-03-21 20:41:19)

Fun thread.

I'm neck-deep in an unusual project that I can't talk about yet, which thus far has required spending all of my time physically bashing my head against After Effects in order to occasionally make any progress on it. It's exciting and rewarding and challenging — and in addition to that, it fuckin' sucks sometimes.

Other than that, the yooj: copious amounts of reading, avoidance of social media, Coke Icees.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I left my job as a wedding videographer and am trying to go the self-employed route. So far it's been more fruitlessly hunting down business than actually shooting but tomorrow I have my first shoot for someone I didn't know previously. Slow but exciting in its own way. Also working on my sci-fi pet project movie; shooting my sister's scenes tomorrow and the last actor next week.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Just got back from 4 days in Pueblo, CO, after 5 days there the week prior. Not a fan of the desert: my ancestors all hail from cold, damp places. Anyway, spent a fair amount of time literally under a train (banging on the wheels and suspension parts with hammers and such) and finally dragging that railcar around a test track at 60-70 mph. Railroad is a weird, regally inbred industry.

Last edited by drewjmore (2018-03-23 21:46:06)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

*blink*

Any more of that you'd like to talk about, I'm definitely curious.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm on anti-depressants, and feeling good.
Got a good job, may have a girlfriend, got a good pay, great friends, am in a band.

Life's pretty good right now.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

What's your role in the band?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague - Avoiding social media is good. After Effects and I have a complicated relationship. It's like, I love you baby, but why can't you just keep your clothes picked up and stop leaving plates of half eaten food in the living room? It's like that, but with After Effects.

Boter - Good on your taking a risk! I too, would like to venture into full freelance. I have a good job right now, but doesn't challenge me. Hardest thing is hooking clients. But I do have a few that come to me pretty regularly, just not enough to be able to quit the ol' day job.

Drewjmore - I was hoping when you said "under a train" you meant you were hanging onto the bottom of one like a crazy hobo trying to catch a free ride to the next town. But your thing is cooler! And less sketchy. If it's any consolation, I too hail from cold, damp places and I moved to the southwest by myself in 2005. Hated it at first, now I don't see myself living anywhere else. But it took almost 10 years to get there. Ha.

Tomahawk - Dude, being in a band is awesome. I used to be one. It was awesome. Did I mention it was awesome? Glad life is going well, keep at it! And I hope that dealio with the lady friend is working out.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Writing music.

I'm tired.

Regarding the train thing, let's see how a written version comes out...

My job is increasingly about inventing new parts to make railcars roll more efficiently at higher speeds.
One of the big problems in railcar engineering (that is, the non-locomotive-driving kind of engineering) is called "truck hunting." A quick google brings up this video by one of my competitors:

So their 'solution' doesn't actually work, which is probably why the video is animated instead of live video. Basically nobody's solved the problem in a way that's more cost effective than just letting heavy freightcars tear up the tracks as they travel. But everybody's spending big R&D money trying.

Closer to my March 2018 experiences, a related thing that can contribute to hunting is called "truck warping." (Deep Dive) Basically what's going on is that nothing is really rigidly connected (it's all springs and gravity) between the wheels and the car structure, because physics. However, the Rube Goldberginess of it all is just too flexible, which leads to that wicked side-to-side shimmy (up to about half a Gee each way at 2 to 3 cycles per second, more than that and you get a derailment) as you approach 70 mph. So my latest invention addresses that, on paper.

To be sciencey about it, we ran the car through the same test twice, once with and once without my devices. The test is to pull the fully loaded 286,000 pound railcar around a sharp corner and then out on to a flat straight run while watching for the shimmy. Repeat that at each integer speed increment from 50 up to 70 mph. Then I literally had to crawl around under the beast (while stopped, of course, but still) in hard hat and orange vest, measuring stuff, turning bolts and such to get my parts in place and doing their thing, then run the speed ramps again. Long story short, I increased the hunting/shimmy threshold from about 66 mph to 69 mph. $100k spent, minimum, for use of the facility alone. Reasonably successful, not bad for a first try, still have a job, yay drew.
Should have worn work gloves, I think I finally got the last little steel splinter out of the skin of my palms this morning.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

That was fascinating.

Also, you can split the words 'wicked' and 'shimmy' with any modifier you want, I'm still catching the reference.

I'm still waiting for a 'shimmy' pay-off from a buddy who said 'wicked' years ago.

O.O

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://media.giphy.com/media/yVM7Y1mwFVgRy/giphy.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down