Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

Herc wrote:

I finally got around to Mirror's Edge. Pleasantly surprised. Took some getting used to the flow of it, but once I did, it got so fucking satisfying! Totally recommend it (also, super-cheap on Steam right now).

Also have gone back to the original Tomb Raider games. Almost at the end of TR3 and it's not as irritating (pull a switch that does something in some room you have no fucking idea where it is) as I remembered. Fun!

Maybe not, but I find the controls horrific. At least compared to modern layouts and schemes.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Mirror's Edge controls took some getting used to but they made sense in their own way, just different from normal conventions.

So I started and finished (multiple times) playing The Stanley Parable. Love love loved the game. That Confusion Ending's a bitch.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Well, I was talking about the classic Tomb Raider games.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Aha! Then yes. I wouldn't go so far as "horrific" but certainly "frustrating".

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

This is kinda the best thread we have for this so, here goes.

I never played any of the System Shock games, but apparently they're amazing. But the remake looks like it's gonna be slick as hell.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

I haven't played them; the closest I've gotten was a really well done fan-fiction. The guy took the one minute opening cutscene and expanded it into seven chapters. That naturally being the start of the story, people wanted him to finish, so he took it from there and wrote the story out, sometimes wildly diverging from the game.

The story is Free Radical by Shamus Young. I definitely recommend the read - I've done so numerous times and indulged in getting myself a copy from the guy's Lulu store.

Played some Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with Steph yesterday, will probably do a video with it soonish. If you haven't played or heard of it, one player sits in front of the screen (or Oculus but since mine isn't that dependable I didn't want to rely on it) and has a bomb to defuse, while all other players cannot look at the screen and instead have a bomb defusal manual. Here's a walkthrough of probably the simplest module; there are many types and up to 11 on one bomb.

"Red button labeled ABORT."
"Are there more than two batteries on the bomb?"
"Yes, three."
"Is there a lit indicator somewhere on the bomb with the letters Foxtrot Romeo Kilo?"
"No."
"Hold the button. What color did the stripe next to it light up?"
"Yellow."
"Release when the countdown timer has a 5 in any position."

Lots of communication necessary and the more advanced modules are pretty complex. You need a good system for communicating and need to be concise and clear. Also, did I mention a countdown? Five minutes and an increasing music tempo rush you along. Definitely recommended.

Last edited by Boter (2016-08-07 20:51:52)

Helloooooo [echo]

Spent the majority of my free time for the past three weeks doing a mission in Elite: Dangerous, going 22,000 light years out and back with an aggressive timetable and a ship very ill-suited to the journey. Overall time spent: 55 hours.

I wrote up the journey to the blog I write for. Feel free to read about exploration, astronomy, and my (mostly) anime viewing habits here: http://whatchareading.com/tag/colonia-a … ;order=ASC (I know that the site is slow; he's looking at switching hosts because it's just getting unreasonable as of late.)

If you want to skip all the drama and just see me coming back into the home station, check it out here:

Last edited by Boter (2016-11-23 17:57:29)

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/414340/extras/HBAccolades_steam.jpg?t=1513080446

Or, "slow descent into madness" as I'd like to call it.

Now this shit deserves every praise given.

Essentially, Hellblade is a vengeance story. Senua, the main protagonist, has lost her husband to death. She will travel literally through hell to get him back.
It's a psychological thriller that anyone can get through. It's a puzzle game that'll take you a while to understand, but when you do, will make you want to solve every puzzle without a walkthrough.

It's set in a sort of Viking-age, leaning heavily towards Norse mythology, and the visual design is stunning. The graphics are excellent, as is the combat. The latter being minimal, and only serving as an element to drive the story forward.

But where it really shines, is in the audio. It's recommended to play with headphones, and I seriously can't stress that enough; I don't get how some people are able to play it on speakers. We're talking binaural audio here, and in a descent into madness, this game has given me the creeps more than Silent Hill ever could. Silent Hill being my all time favorite horror genre, as they're the only games to have scared me to this date.

Until now. There are times, in the middle of a complex puzzle or story-heavy section I've simply put the headphones down to, you know, do something else for 10 minutes. To get out of that state of mind for a little while, because damn this is a creepy game. It plays on fear unlike any other game I've ever experienced, by having multiple voices in your head, either telling you to look out during combat, or literally sending you into certain death. The voices are to be trusted, and not to be trusted. It's more or less like having anxiety or depression, but in the game, they "voices" are literally voices. Laughing when you die, screaming for help when you're about to die. It's just insane how good the audio is.

And of course, running Unreal Engine 4, it's a quite the looker as welll. It plays well with portals and mind-bending visuals that will have you question how the fuck they did that, considering it's more or less 100% in real-time rendering.

And my god, what a fucking thrill ride.

Will recommend to anyone, including people who aren't core gamers. People who play the casual game every now and then, to the hardcore MMO gamers, because THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a fuckin' experience unlike any other.

10/10.
21/21
three-fiddy/three-fiddy.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2017-12-27 20:07:00)

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

One hell of a recommendation sir. I'll look it up.

One of the LPer's I watch (KurtJMac) broke his lifelong solemn vow to never ever do cosplay because of that game.

It's definitely one I'm gonna have to check out.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'll let be said that there are quite a few great games this year.
Persona 5,
Middle-Earth. Shadow of War
NieR: Automata
Friday the 13th
Super Mario Oddysey
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Prey
Uncharted: The lost Legacy
Cuphead
Destiny 2
Resident Evil 7
Assassin's Creed Origins
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

..And while I've only played a handful of these, including Horizon, which had me captivated for 60 hours, Hellblade beats them all. Hands down.
¨

...And I'm not even done yet!

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I'll add Wolfenstein 2 to that list. Utter fucking insanity it is, but great utter fucking insanity.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Persona 5:
Haven't played it. But it's a JRPG, so for the aqcuired taste. Thus far, only Final Fantasy has piqued that interest.

Middle-Earth:
Shadow of War: Definitely on my list, I just have to complete the backlog, and Shadow of Mordor first.

NieR: Automata:
Absolutely not my cup of tea.

Friday the 13th:
Absolutely great fun for multiplayer sessions. One player takes on the role of Jason, whilst 6 others will do their best to kill him, or escape. Escpecially fun if you're on voice chat with everyone except Jason. Creeps up on you.

Super Mario Oddysey:
Doesn't look fun, but has gotten excellent reviews. The last Nintendo console I owned was a Gamecube, purchased only because of Wind Waker.

PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds:
It's a buggy-as-fuck kind of battle royale game that's been in early access since February or so. It's a round-based 100pvp game that drops you in the middle of nowhere, where you need to get weapons, armor and other items in order to survive, as the play-area is rapidly shrinking, while there's only one person/team left standing for that winner-winner chicken-dinner.
While it can be fun, it's a competitive FPS, that goes against most things I don't like. I play it from time to time because I own it, and friends want me to partake because I'm not half-bad at it, but I've yet to play it alone, and I doubt I ever will.

Prey:
Has a very mind-fuckery type of intro, but ultimately falls flat as yet another FPS with jump-scares. I played the demo, it didn't leave much to be desired.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy:
Is a title I've yet to play. I've loved all the other titles in the series, but am feeling a bit fatigued after last year's Uncharted 4, which was absolutely brilliant, but also too close to the release of the more-or-less standalone expansion that is The Lost Legacy. I'm sure it'll be awesome, I've just yet to get around to it.

Cuphead:
Looks like an absolute thrill, lending it's animation style from the 1930's cartoons, but is also infamous for being over-the-top hard, and I'm waiting for the right moment, and another player to play co-op, as I don't particularly like games that challenge me too much.

Destiny 2:
Is basically just another Competivite round-based FPS with some RPG elements. Didn't like the first one, won't play the second one.

Resident Evil 7:
For once, it's not a Zombie-survival game, and for that, I salute it. However, it's now an FPS horror Survival, which I've played demos for, and didn't care for it. At first glance, it's just borrowing the name of the franchise, and has nothing to with the 6+ games that pre-date it.
That being said, there was a VR demo of it, that was fucking horrifying. It's on Steam and PS4, called "Kitchen", and if you've a VR headset, I'd recommend it, if only to colour your trousers brown.

Assassin's Creed Origins:
This was a much needed breath of fresh air to a franchise that's been overexposed the latter 6 or so years. The first title came out in 2007, followed by a sequel in 2009, and then every subsequent year until 2016, which was the first time they didn't make a game. It was too much, too little news, and a few game-breaking bugs in the cycle. The team took a year extra to develop an origin story set in Egypt, a few years before Christ, and it's really refreshing. It's a stealthy-third person game with action RPG elements to it, and a story that's engaging, as well as the fact that you are free to explore a giant world, with tombs, pyramids, pharaos, crocodiles, and.. even, a TARDIS. Granted, the latter is an easter egg hidden on the bottom of the Nile, but still cool. I'd recommend it if you're tired of the series, but I should also note that after the main quest was completed, and a few side quests here and there, I still felt I was done. Instead of going for a platinum Trophy, I put it back on the shelf, and will probably come back to it at a later date.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:
This one took me by surprise. It's an open world RPG made by the folks that made the Killzone series. Killzone is a pretty good FPS series, but it's very linear, and has a fairly predictable story, albeit with cool twists, great graphics(for its time) and good gameplay.
They then decided to make an open world RPG, and damn if they didn't make a good one. I thought it looked rather dull in the trailers and gameplay-videos released by Guerilla Games, but after lending a copy, I quickly realised I was wrong.
It takes place in a more or less post-post apocalyptic world, where nature has reclaimed the surroundings, and machines based upon dinosaurs and current wildlife rule the planet.
I won't go into detail on the plot, as basically anything I would say would be major spoilers, but it's a definitive recommendation. I played about 60 hours before calling quits.

The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild:
Is supposed to be great, but look at the first paragraph; I don't own a Nintendo console.

Star Wars: Battlefront II
Now, taking away the fact that EA fucked themselves hard by a very harsh Pay2Win model, the story is actually pretty good. It takes place right at the end of Return of the Jedi, and picks up where it left, to tell a pretty compelling story, told from the perspective of the Empire's inferno squad. There are some pretty good plot points in there, some hinting at spoilers for TLJ and TFA, but I won't go into much detail.
The multiplayer section is more or less the same as the previous Battlefront, but refined and elaborated on. More units, more features, more heroes, and more modes. What the "original" should've been.
The single-player story mode thing is available on YouTube if you just want new-canon story to fill your day with. The cutscenes are about 100 minutes, so do what you want.

Edit:
BDA: I don't enjoy FPS games, which is why I try to leave them off my list. But for what it's worth, I've only heard great things about Wolfenstein, and would love to watch someone else play it at some point in time.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2017-12-27 22:39:31)

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I'm gonna agree, there was some really good stuff this year. My personal favorite might be Doki Doki Kiterature Club because of the genre switch a couple hours in and the utter mindfuck it pulls from there on out.

Having now completed 'Hellblade', my review stands firm.

Fuck me that's the game of the year.

And I absolutely loved 'Horizon'.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Picked up the Bioshock Collection for PS4 recently, currently playing through the first game.

a.) This looks *gorgeous* for a remaster of a game that's over a decade old. Texturing is obviously pretty dated but the overall look is still so damn cool and atmospheric.

b.) I get why the Vita chambers are considered a gamebreaking mechanic in that they allow you to basically just wear enemies down without sacrificing anything, but thank god they're here. I have no idea how I'd be taking down the Big Daddies without them.

c.) Hacking is a complete pain on console.

d.) I do wish the guns had more weight to them. Maybe I just need to reduce the controller sensitivity in the settings—it feels like the targeting reticule tracks so quickly that I have a hard time aiming properly.

e.) It's funny that this game and PORTAL came out the same year. They're kind of sister franchises in a lot of ways, especially when you factor in PORTAL 2—BIOSHOCK is obviously more openly political, but Cave Johnson is basically a comedic version of Andrew Ryan.

f.) Having watched A CURE FOR WELLNESS I can confirm that Gore Verbinski would have been the *perfect* director for the film adaptation and it's a damn shame he was kicked off the project.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a3/Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg/220px-Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

Uggggggggggh. Spoilers for all three Bioshock games below.

I'm glad to learn that this thing's reputation has declined in the five years since it was released. Gameplay-wise, it's fun if nothing special—takes the mechanics that were started in Bioshock and perfected in Bioshock 2 (which I'll argue is the best game of the series overall) and simplifies them into a pretty bog-standard FPS that happens to have magic powers. And visually it's absolutely stunning—I wish I could just play the first half-hour on loop over and over again. Seriously. Look at this.

But thematically, logically, and ideologically? This thing is an unmitigated disaster.

Look, the seeds of this were part of the franchise from the get-go. The original Bioshock gets credit as some deeply political satire when in reality it's basically just Ken Levine shitting on libertarians for ten hours. Which is fine—libertarians, particularly of the Ayn Rand variety, deserve to be shat on. But not only is there no deeper critique there, the game actively undercuts itself by choosing to make its ultimate villain not the batshit insane libertarian egomaniac who founded Rapture but the labor-union leader who rose up against him. This gets even further entrenched in Bioshock 2, which decides that because the first game focused on the evils of individualism the second one had to focus on the evils of collectivism. The second game is the best of the franchise when all factors are taken into account, but its politics are terrible and weigh it down.

But even the second game's politics were better than the jaw-dropping both-sides-ism at play here. After hours of showing us a white supremacist society that keeps people of color enslaved, subjects interracial couples to public beatings, and is built on absolutely grotesque economic inequality, the game decides that the slave revolt we've helped create is equally bad because . . . the pretty buildings of Columbia are getting messed up and the rich people are fleeing without being able to take all their stuff. That's not even an exaggeration—we're treated to scenes of the wealthy white people, who a few hours ago had gathered to watch the public torture of an interracial couple, weeping because they can't take all their luggage with them, while heart-tugging strings play on the soundtrack. And the main character shakes his head and says (in effect) "Truly, there's no difference between the enslaving dictator and his slaves." And then, because the game's creators realize deep down that this is bullshit, they have the black female leader of the slave rebellion try to murder a random white kid with LITERALLY no context or motivation just so they can point their finger and say "SEE? BOTH SIDES!!!" I would have had a problem with this shit back in 2013, but five years later it plays so horribly it's kind of stunning.

Couple that with an ostentatiously twisty SF story whose underpinnings make less and less sense the more and more you think about them, and there's basically nothing of value here aside from the visuals. Sure, the shooting is fun, but it's not a patch on the depth and variety of the combat in the previous games; just pointing and pulling the trigger. (And don't get me started on how tacked-on the Vigors feel—Plasmids were an integral part of the world of the first two games, whereas here they play absolutely no role in the larger world.) And where Bioshock 2 gets its power from being a really simple, linear, character-based story, Infinite doubles down on the superficial big-reveal storytelling of the original Bioshock and leaves absolutely nothing at the heart of the story. It comes off even worse when you compare it to The Last of Us, which came out the same year and has the same core story of a grizzled man with a haunted past defending a surrogate daughter (and that grizzled man is played by Troy Baker in both games, no less) but recognizes that we're in it for those characters, not the writer jerking himself off with nonsensical twist after nonsensical twist. Good for you, Ken Levine, you read an article about multiple universes and watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead once. Fuck off.

If you want an example of video games as art, play The Last of Us for its characters and their relationships, or The Stanley Parable for its genuinely thoughtful philosophical underpinnings, or Bloodborne for its use of the medium to evoke an atmosphere that other storytelling formats simply can't. If you want an example of an insanely pretty carnival ride that thinks it's the second coming of 2001: A Space Odyssey and wants you to know it's very important to remember that property damage is equivalent to slavery, play Bioshock Infinite.

Ugh, that was a jumbled ranty mess but I had to get it off my chest. Bioshock 2 is the best of the trilogy, Infinite is a mess, fuck off Ken Levine.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-02-25 23:06:58)

In the middle of another Bloodborne run, and just felt compelled to sings its praises again because this boss fight is a work of fucking art. (The design, not my gameplay. tongue )

It sucks that the Soulsborne community has helped perpetuate the myth that these games punish you for playing, because the exact opposite is the case. They're tough as shit, but they're completely fair—it's all pattern recognition and incremental progress, making the same mistakes over and over until you see the right way to move forward and everything falls into place. This duel is the exact opposite of a boss fight that's made artificially hard just to frustrate the player. You and your opponent are on a roughly equal playing field (her hits are way more powerful and she has a much bigger health bar, but you can use all manner of extra items and have the ability to heal up to 24 times). The terrain is completely level. The only thing standing between you and victory is the need to read Maria's patterns and dance with her accordingly.

Not to make it sound like this fight is easy—I died enough against her on this playthrough that I ended up using nearly my entire 600-healing-item stock before I finally took her down. But despite the hours it took to whittle her down, it never stopped being insanely fun, because the game doesn't cheat. It's given you all the tools you need to beat her, all you need to do is apply them.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-05-07 01:01:27)

Terrible spreadsheet with some notes dumped into it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wguxH … wnJ0AmAjvc

This is every game released in the US for the PS1, in chronological order with a source for the release date (which I will probably have to update with a link to a page or something). Also have info on publisher / developer, but I haven't filled all of that info out. Highlighted games are those that I own. I also started adding prices to several of them. This was so that I could know what to expect to pay for each one in decent condition with the booklet and original case. I only have a handful priced out, as around that time I began my downward spiral prior to quitting my previous job. I may pick the collecting back up, but I want to see if I can't make it pay for itself.

I've been thinking about doing a video series where I play each of these games for a few hours and edit together a ten minute or so 'lets play' type vid, Regardless, as far as I know, this is the single most complete list of commercially released US PSX games as well as the most accurate and complete list of release dates for those games. This can be considered an alpha release or something. There's a lot of cleaning to do and I have a lot of kinda crappy notes in there.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2018-05-23 11:53:20)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I fucking love projects like this.

Do it.

(Also, those first two being released before launch is very intriguing.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down