Re: The Future of Star Wars

Saniss wrote:
Faldor wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if Disney didn't slow things down for a while

They're going to, apparently. Can't remember where I read this but Solo not exactly being a huge box office hit, they're gonna go back to a one-per-year ratio.

I can't think of a better way to lose twenty billion dollars than to impatiently flood the market with Star Wars.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That was the weirdest thing about this whole rollout. They reshot the entire movie but refused to shift the release date back to December and then didn't start marketing until late February. It's such an obvious blunder for Disney to make when they're usually the marketing king.

So while the focus seems to be on the future Star Wars movies....I kind of feel like I'm losing interest in new movies and am instead looking towards the past. Will we ever see a restored HD release of the unaltered theatrical versions of the OT with a proper color correction? Disney seems content to keep pushing out movie after movie so it doesn't seem likely at the moment. Unless they change their plans, I guess I'll stick to the various fan restorations of 35mm prints.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't believe we will as long as Kathleen Kennedy is in charge–she's made it clear she has no interest in putting out the theatrical OT. I also wouldn't be surprised if George had somehow mandated in the terms of the sale that Disney couldn't release anything but the Special Editions. Sucks that that seems to be the situation, but we have the Despecialized Editions as well as the fan 4K restorations from original film prints that are in progress.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-06-05 17:57:06)

We may find out when Lucasfilm decides to release the OT on UHD Blu-ray. The 2004 and 2011 versions of the Special Edition exists only as a 1080p digital master (that's about 1920x800 pixels for 2.35:1 movies), so they'll have to either scale it up or rescan the available film elements. The latter approach would give us the theatrical cuts or the 1997 SE (the 2004 and 2011 changes would have to be recreated).

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DarthPraxus wrote:

That was the weirdest thing about this whole rollout. They reshot the entire movie but refused to shift the release date back to December and then didn't start marketing until late February. It's such an obvious blunder for Disney to make when they're usually the marketing king.

I can still hear the screams of agony of a thousand VFX artists.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No kidding. The VFX work was largely impeccable, too, which means they must have been busting their asses to even more than the exorbitant degree the tight schedule was already causing.

And if it was released in converted 3D — I don't know — god help those poor bastards.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whatever, I'm sure they were fairly paid and compensated, and were able to get reasonable amounts of rest, right?

... Right?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Whatever, I'm sure they were fairly paid and compensated, and were able to get reasonable amounts of rest, right?

... Right?

https://media.giphy.com/media/oOX5qIDkzDjeo/giphy.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

Boter wrote:

The A.C. Crispin trilogy is still a more complete story in my opinion (it better be) but Solo works well for a movie.

I thought a lot of the movie, particularly the opening reminded me of the Han Solo trilogy. Which I read years ago.

Knowing that Jon Kasdan through in some EU references I do wonder how familiar he was with those books.

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Burning off all of my negative energy from Solo because . . .

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-07-10 14:24:13)

I... kinda didn't want to know that? I may be absolutely the only one here. But just in case, you might want to spoiler tag it.

EDIT: Thanks Prax, appreciate it.

Last edited by Saniss (2018-07-10 15:34:39)

Sébastien Fraud
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh shit, sorry, you're completely right. Spoilered appropriately. Should've been overcautious.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-07-10 14:32:49)

Yeah I got blindsided by it on Facebook v.v

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

*smacks hands together, dusting-off*

My here work is done.

(Frankly, I think we should draw a cultural distinction between what counts as a spoiler and what counts as a warning, but... I do understand the principle.  big_smile )

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh. I'd like to emphasize the fact that I have zero grey-area on this but it's on me, and I just wanted to make sure some people don't end up learning something they wouldn't want to. I don't feel entitled, and I have no grudge against Prax for not spoiler-tagging it before. If anything, I feel like a party-blower for being so extreme about it.

But yeah. The less I know about a movie beforehand, the better I feel. I'm mathematically the exact opposite from Owen.

(except Solo which I spoil-rotted myself with, because I just don't give a shit about that movie)

Last edited by Saniss (2018-07-11 10:55:55)

Sébastien Fraud

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

(except Solo which I spoil-rotted myself with, because I just don't give a shit about that movie)

BROTHER