Topic: The Chosen - Multi-season show about Jesus' ministry

As I mentioned in the chat, this production is really good. The creative backstory is interesting enough that I wouldn't want to spoil it, but let's just say that they really emphasize that Roman occupation made life extremely difficult for a lot of people, and drove them to do things they're not proud of.

The main characters are cast appropriate to 1st-century Israel, which is awesome. The disciples (the ones introduced so far) are young and dumb and it's great.

The first episode is free, I'd recommend skipping the trailer to avoid spoilers (yes, spoilers!). I'd be interested in anyone's opinions! A lot of "christian" movies/shows are hyper-sanitized/unreal/terribly-acted/-written/dumb. So far, this one feels like a real story with real people. Just my opinion.

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen/ will direct you to the channels. I think you'll have give an email address, but the company is not fishy. I've been using them for years and they're solid.

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-04-19 16:54:36)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Chosen - Multi-season show about Jesus' ministry

I mean... they seem a little fishy.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Is that a... Pun?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL.  Unintentional but true.  Nah, I mean, they sell Censorship as a Service, they're in bankruptcy proceedings, and they have endorsements from a bunch of people I don't trust.

Last edited by Beeg (2019-04-25 04:12:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

LOL.  Unintentional but true.  Nah, I mean, they sell Censorship as a Service, they're in bankruptcy proceedings, and they have endorsements from a bunch of people I don't trust.

Eesh. Reading through their Wikipedia article is like a who's who of scummy business practices.

"The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October 2017 as a legal strategy to protect the company against the ongoing lawsuit" followed by like 6 paragraphs of lawsuits from studios for illegally ripping movies to their streaming service.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The method of delivery was sketchy, though for the record they did buy every copy they distributed. As for censorship, it's not really that when it simply allows the watcher to choose parts they'd rather not see. Censorship is forced.

But, fair.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, skimmed through.  Jesus doesn't show up til the last 2 minutes to do some pretty creepy lady-stalkin'.  I like Nicodemus the exorcist.  Interesting exorcism rite, I wonder where they got that from?  Dialog is pretty 'splainy.  The pictures are Good.  Plenty of pretty bokeh and natural light sources to look at.  Erick Avari is their big get for this.  You can cast Sean Bean, but you have to kill him off in season 1 or you'll run out of money.  He's working pretty hard to chew through lines like:

spoiler Show
Listen, I agreed to Quintus's request - not a demand, because he should never demand anything of me - to stop Shabbat fishing which was already our law, and by doing so was not a violation of my practice. And I will try to help this woman, even though it falls outside of my purview.  But do not think of me as a tool to fix Roman problems.  I will not continue to use my position of religious influence to benefit those who look down on my people, whether it's you or even someone like Quintus!  So I will perform this task, but I want it noted for your superiors: this is an exception!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah Nicodemus is a solid character. That rant didn't really bother me, though. He'd been dealing with asshat Romans throughout the episode so a rant seemed in order.

Interesting to hear your thoughts!

"pretty creepy lady-stalking" .......that's an odd take of peacefully addressing a woman as a person and healing her. You're entitled to it, I guess. I may be *slightly* biased, though tongue

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-04-25 12:31:18)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He comes up behind her at the bar and touches her without asking, apparently giving her a headache, then follows her after she asks to be left alone. When she gets outside and is alone, he starts telling her that he knows personal things about her.

I'd be creeped out.

How could Nicodemus have shown us that line instead of telling it to us?

Last edited by Beeg (2019-04-25 23:26:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is an aggressive removal of the entire context of the episode. He stopped her from drinking (by stopping her hand) to drown her literal demons, called her by her actual name which no one knew, and quoted her childhood verse which was God's declaration of comfort and peace before peacefully healing her. Whether one takes this as a fantasy or not, it was obviously a positive thing as set up by the story. Particularly since she was actually led there after she almost committed suicide because of her condition.

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-04-26 04:04:28)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down