Re: The Future of Star Wars

Oh shoot what if that's a *feature*?

What if the face being a bad reproduction is just a hint that

SPOILER Show
This movie's resurrected Palpatine is actually two Ewoks in a trenchcoat (and a bad mask) that are angry about their planet being devastated by the Rebels destroying the Death Star overhead?? What if Palpatine has been two Ewoks in a trenchcoat THE WHOLE TIME???

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
S
H
Ewok
Ewok
V

Checks out

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not holdin' hope for this one.  I find it very interesting that they've replicated the production process so thoroughly, down to rehiring the writers and doing the director-musical-chairs with the "edgy" guy coming into to do #2, and bringing back the first guy for #3 midway through after picking someother dude.  I hope JJ isn't being asked to method his way into becoming GL.  Anyhoo, with them lining up RoS to Be Our Generations' ROTJ, I'm a little worried we're gonna get the JJ equivalent of Ewoks, which I guess in this case is a movie that plays like a mashup of Transformers, Memento, and a VideoCopilot.com ad. 

With lightsabers!

That said, Ima go seeee it.  But this is the last one I SWEAR.

This is the last Star Wars I watch until they hand the direction over to a woman, which I keep being disappointed by, but not doing anything about.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ngl, when that desert village with all the tents and flags and stuff popped up my first thought was 100%: 'oh no, desert ewoks'.

So you know. I don't hold high hopes, so much of what we've seen is just continuing JJ's pattern of copying the original trilogy, right down to waiting until the third movie to make Palpatine appear on screen. Never mind that the poster is basically just the "copy my notes but just change some stuff so it looks different' version of the RoTJ teaser poster.

And the whole "We've taught you everything we know...blah blah blah" just kinda reinforces that these movies do /not/ give a shit about actually doing the leg work on these characters, cause Luke, you knew her for all of like a week, 99% of which was you jerking her around. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how JJ is just gonna steamroll over the couple interesting thing TLJ managed to get in, and see how big the Death Sun is gonna be this time around.

And seconded on giving the series to a female director, it's just becoming a fucking joke at this point.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I had some fun fiddling with the poster in Photoshop. The point isn't to have made this a good poster, really — the point was mostly just to walk through the types of things I notice about the poster, and the resulting image is the end of that conversation, not the end-result of... you know. Effort.

Anyway, in the spoiler box, you'll see where it ended up, and also the walkthrough of what-I-did-and-why.

SPOILER Show
https://i.imgur.com/r0wUoyi.jpg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yes. Teagued it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

EDIT: Nevermind, I was misunderstanding what you were talking about on the original poster, because hey look, youtube compression is shit.

__

Not to divert the conversation but (And I'm just pausing in the video to post this, so if you clarify later, I apologize in advance) but if your point is that under no circumstances could a light source cause those specific reflections in his eyes and the light on his eyebrows... you then demonstrated that that is exactly what could happen by putting a light source exactly where that scene would be if Palpy was actually that huge and in the scene:

https://i.imgur.com/j6QfVWO.png

Am I missing something?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Anyways, looking forward to seeing how big the Death Sun is gonna be this time around.

I mean.... if I take my fandom back to the beginning, I was never a fan of any of the characters, I was much more a fan of The Force.  The Emperor was so scary, because he seemed to know so much more about The Force than the other characters.

And like, obviously, I'm experiencing that through the characters, so the characters have to be well written and motivated, but on the other hand, dooooo they??

Like, it's very Twilight, ya?

Not sure about any of this, just writing it down.

I really like the places Kirshner/Kasadan and now Johnson, have taken The Force.

If we could just have a whole movie of Force Rabbit Holes with All The Infinite Mirrors while Ben Burt makes ALL THE SOUNDS butwitha lilStereoDelay and theroomreverberates with Lightsaber Thrum...

thatwouldbeniceplease.

Just like, cocoon me in that TFA Takodana lightsaber flashback and I could totally live there the rest of my life.

So, all that to say, there's like a 3% chance they could turn "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant..." into "The force can literally destroy a planet/theuniverse/itself"

All is forgiven.  Fly you crazy diamond.

Except the director part, no takebacks on that.

Back to that poster tho.  What is that broken pillar thing that Rey and (Kylo? is that you? That's your sword but your head's a little... off) are fighting upon?  It looks kinda familiar, but then Star Wars is full of greebley pillars, so, could be anything...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I mean, I completely agree, that is absolutely where Star Wars should have gone with the Jedi story. Going way back to the DiF conversation about how Yoda shouldn't even have a lightsaber because he's so much more powerful than that. The Force should be weird and mysterious with it's own ineffable plan and currents (Which is why I was fucking gutted when they completely killed the forcelink between Rey and Kylo in TLJ as just Snoke messing with them. That had the potential to be something so cool and different and just, weird, in Star Wars, and then it just got thrown out without doing anything with it).

But (if it wasn't clear) the Death Sun thing was 100% snark because JJ's TFA redid ANH with Death Star but different... and if JJ keeps that with 'Return of the Jedi but DIFFERENT!' then whatever is doing this:

https://i.imgur.com/UUrfAMi.png

Has a statistically high chance of being 'Death Star 2 but different', and that's just pathetic and exhausting. (plus with Palpy coming back, he does love his Death Stars doesn't he).

bgii2000 wrote:

Back to that poster tho.  What is that broken pillar thing that Rey and (Kylo? is that you? That's your sword but your head's a little... off) are fighting upon?  It looks kinda familiar, but then Star Wars is full of greebley pillars, so, could be anything...

It loks like the same ship/floating barge thing Rey/Kylo are fighting on in the trailer. The design feels very similar to the lava masts and greeblies bits on Mustafar, just on water this time. So *shrug*.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh, wait, I thought that was a cross cut from TFA.  Deathsun indeed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(BDA: Yeah, I wasn't perfectly clear, and I was speaking in absolutes when I should have been more circumspect. Spec-hits definitely can be located on the bottom half of the lens area, generally... but, if so [and even in your screengrab], it doesn't center itself within the wall of the iris [like in the poster]; it centers on the edge of the lens, between the iris and the eyeball. Broadly speaking, 'reflecty stuff' trends toward the middle of the eye.)

(For the same reason most of the store trends toward 'the middle' of a big convex wide-angle mirror, actually.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bgi: Yeeeaaaaaaaaaah.

The one thing I am kinda curious about, is what JJ is gonna do with his little pet idea of the Knights of Ren in RoS. Not because I think it'll be good or anything, but it'll be fun to see the shitshow of how he retcons them having not even kind of mattered or been mentioned for an entire movie and a half, and then suddenly being there like, oh right, Kylo has this entire group of crazy badass sith knights at his beck and call... that's a THING huh?!

Teague:

Teague wrote:

but, if so (and even in your screengrab), it doesn't center itself within the wall of the iris (like in the poster); it centers on the edge of the lens, between the iris and the eyeball. Broadly speaking, 'reflecty stuff' trends toward the middle of the eye.)

Yeah, like I said, I'm blaming the 360p early version I was watching on that. When you were referencing the poster in the video the spec hits looked basically exactly like they did on your eyes, but once I refreshed to get the full res version and you started zooming in I saw what you were talking about with the spec being just on the iris.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Waiiiiiiit a second.   In the promos Rey is standing on a beach, looking at a hurricane with a deathstar laserdish on the horizon.

So that's a deathstar chunk they're fighting on in the trailer.

But the poster pillar is something else.  It's much smaller and has a ring and a ladder.  Which I swear I've seen somewhere, but it's not the falcon's ladder, or a piece of cloud city as far as I can tell.

Also, in the trailer scene Kylo is helmetless.  If poster Kylo isn't wearing a helmet, what's goin' on with his head?

Soooo, mebe they go back to Endor and discover a Palpy Hurricane there?  And we dooo get a movie full of infinite mirrors, and it's kinda of a Star Wars Palpatine Haunted House Experience?

Oooooh, and

SPOILER Show
ALL THE EWOKS ARE DEAD FROM DEATHSTAR INDUCED CLIMATE CHANGE and we could have a really pointed lesson about war and spaceflightprivelege.

Last edited by Beeg (2019-08-29 01:14:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

And we dooo get a movie full of infinite mirrors, and it's kinda of a Star Wars Palpatine Haunted House Experience?

Palpy's Fun House and Laser Moon Experience.

We've already got Creepio canonized, let's just let the Auralnauts guys do the entire movie. It could only be an improvement.

bgii2000 wrote:

But the poster pillar is something else.  It's much smaller and has a ring and a ladder.  Which I swear I've seen somewhere, but it's not the falcon's ladder, or a piece of cloud city as far as I can tell.

Wait...

WAIT.

HOLD THE FUCK UP.

It actually doesn't really mean anything but there are similarities:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/2f/Tractor_Beam_12.png

ZangrethorDigital.ca

IS it weird that the trailer cuts on Creepio's look to: DEATHSUN!!

?

Just asking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

I’m pretty sure they’re fighting on the remains of the Death Star, which we saw in the first teaser. As for that specific piece they’re fighting on? I’ve seen people say it could be the column where Obi-Wan disables the tractor beam in ANH, but it could just be standard Star Wars greeblies.

Also, I’ll happily watch Teague rage at Photoshop any day of the week.

EDIT: You guys beat me to it!

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2019-08-29 01:19:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Am I missing a trailer?  I've seen the "D23 sneak peek", is ther-

finishes googling

Oh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Translated extract from a french magazine:

Premiere wrote:

Officially, J. J. Abrams wasn't bothered by The Last Jedi's script, though it seemed to erase almost everything he'd set up in The Force Awakens (Snoke, Rey's parents...). In an interview given to Associated Press, the director of Star Wars 9 (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker) reveals his script wasn't modified after Rian Johnson's film: « The story that we’re telling, the story that we started to conceive when we did ‘The Force Awakens,’ was allowed to continue. Episode VIII didn’t really derail anything that we were thinking about. »

I'm completely stunned by the notion that there is so little connection made between episodes, that a trilogy is now nothing more than three separate stories told by different people who hope something holds together in the end. This is such a mess. He's glad the second episode of the trilogy he's making the other two episodes for, hasn't derailed his plans. He might as well be talking about a competitor, but no, he's referring to a part of the same fucking story he's working on.

I can't wrap my head around this. TV shows have seldom reached that level of fucked-up Frankensteinery. Storytelling is dead.

Last edited by Saniss (2019-09-02 10:22:23)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That's what I was afraid of as soon as the directorial musical chairs was announced.

Ugh.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Let's hope it's not another Sifa Dyas...

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

♫♫

Sifa Dyas Sifa Dyas

Si
    Fa Dyas

♫♫

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I mean are we really surprised that JJ is just telling the story he started in TFA? The original plan, as bad as it was, was to have 3 different directors all doing their own thing for each of the movies with a marginal guiding hand from Disney.

Of course he's gonna immediately try and wrap up his story lines that he started (see: my previous point about the Knights of Ren) the entire thing is gonna be a clsuterfuck that completely ignores everything Rian tried to do in favour of the stuff JJ wanted to do in the first place.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saniss wrote:

I'm completely stunned by the notion that there is so little connection made between episodes, that a trilogy is now nothing more than three separate stories told by different people who hope something holds together in the end.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BM7M3C
http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofst … rwars.com/

But, that is how Star Wars has always been written.

It's more mindboggling that its still mostly the same people, or their protoge's, still stumbling around in the dark FIFTY YEARS LATER.

There's an organized religion analogy in here somewhere.

The shear cultural power of 'Star Wars' is carrying the franchise as a whole.  There haven't been any new ideas introduced in the movies since ESB.  GL accidentally made this crazy blockbuster that was saved by his friends, his wife, Ben Burtt, and the crew at ILM, and then Kirsh/Kasadan managed to pull off a miracle and follow it with something better, but after you make a whole 'canon' it gets a lot harder to keep everything making sense (especially if you're GL and don't care/don't know how). 

Figuring out why this is the still the case...  there are so many reasons and systems at work it seems a little pointless to try to assign blame.

How long before it gets rebooted?

Last edited by Beeg (2019-09-02 21:11:49)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

BDA : Oh I'm not saying I'm surprised (I'm not). But reading those few sentences from Abrams, it suddenly occurred to me in a perfectly verbalized vision: this whole thing is fucked up beyond any kind of decency and respect for a story.

I'm speaking out of anger, but my hopes are an all-time low right now.

Leaves room for good surprises, I guess.

bgii : it's a different thing to me. Of course, the OT was a miracle pieced together by many people, but there was at least a certain search for continuity, an acknowledgement that all instances of the saga were doing the same thing. I don't recall ever seeing anyone from the OT going "right, so there's that part in the previous episode, let's just ignore it and allow ourselves to go a completely different direction". There's a lot of retconning, but that's just filling the gaps, which in a way is the opposite.

I guess we'll see, but seeing as TLJ received lots of criticism and Solo tanked, I think Disney is in Defcon 1 right now. They'll go the safer route, which means no surprises, which means stereotypical resolutions that TLJ was cleverly setting up to avoid. As much as I like the themes that arose from it (maybe accidentally), TFA was safe as fuck.

How is it even possible that J.J. didn't have anything to rewrite? Is he gonna piece Snoke back together with technoForcebabble, or had he already planned he wouldn't be here in 9?

Last edited by Saniss (2019-09-02 22:03:02)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii wrote:

There haven't been any new ideas introduced in the movies since ESB.

Double-bladed lightsaber.

Ha!

No, but, seriously:

bgii wrote:

There haven't been any new ideas introduced in the movies since ESB.

*obama-thumbs-up.gif*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down