Topic: Making a single; need C&C

Hey.

My band is currently making our first single, and yours truly is mixing the demo, to send out etc.
Thing is, I don't know the first thing about this stuff. I've learned some from youtube and shit, but it's honesly fallen to me to do it, as the others don't know jack shit about it.

As such, I ask you lot. I'm sharing the single in it's current state, and I'd love for you to take a listen to it, and tell me what I need to work on. I don't need/want comments on the song itself, but rather the mixing of it. It's hard to do, as all speakers/headphones produce different results.
Some say the bass is too prominent, some say it's not even there. Some say the drums need more punch, some say they're too much already etc.

So, sound guys, give me what you got!

or, alternatively, if any of you work in Logic, and want to look at it, let me know, and I will make that happen too!!

CLICK ME PLZ

Disclaimer:
Yes, you are of course allowed to listen to it for curiosity, if you're not a sound guy, just to listen to our new demo, and give comments on the song itself, but you know, it's not done. The timing, layout and such is done, however, and we need to re-record vocals at least, and it's still very much a WIP.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Making a single; need C&C

Without having listened yet, I can concur with your assessment that you need a better mixing stage.  Have you considered buying a couple hours in a studio to whip it out?  'Cause otherwise this isn't really gonna help much.

Listened:

On my setup the drums are real quiet.  The kick sounds thumpyish, but I don't really hear any snare, and the rest of the kit sounds like it's at the end of a hallway. Maybe too heavy on the reverb?

Bass could be more consistent throughout. Mebe some automation or compression.  Might experiment with blending the bass/kick sound with a sidechained dynamic.

Vocals could use a little thickening maybe, although the doubling and delay are maybe a little heavy?

Another tip: Mix to mono.  If you have access to a proper room and you know what you're doing, and you really need the effect, go for a stereo mix.  Otherwise, they just cause so many problems that mixing in stereo isn't worth it.  If you must have stereo, use the abbey road hard pan method to avoid the worst of the stereo swamp.  Mixing in mono makes things obvious. 

It's catchy. I'd take a crack at the stems.

Last edited by Beeg (2019-11-08 04:51:56)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I concur with the parts of Junior's comments that I grok. I've got sound-guy cred but no production.

The spanish/classical picking is cool, but I think I'd to hear it sharper, brighter...the distortion masks the skill of the player there. Maybe everything is mixed with too much low-frequency? Fill out the upper registers somehow? Spanish style guitar 'usually' brings higher overtones.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is scripture/required reading for recording rock esp metal:

https://archive.org/stream/SlippermansR … 9_djvu.txt

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Cool! Cool! Cool!

I agree with Bgii. Slap some compression on that bass

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Does that Slipperman thing exist anywhere with the audio files intact? Quick search on the archive indicated not.

<edit> A more thoughtful search: https://web.archive.org/web/20180421152 … erman.html

Last edited by drewjmore (2019-11-08 00:43:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice!  I'd always just inferred what they sounded like.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My google-fu:
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ChkynEc2Y0f5e/giphy.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bass will be re-recorded as it's actually a bit inconsistent and he missed on the timing every now and then. Then I will get some compression on it.
Drums will probably also have to be re-done, as I can't work my head around getting them to sound cool.

drew; I don't know what you mean about Spanish guitars, but if you're talking about the main riff throughout the song, and in the intro; at least I know what you're talking about.

bgii: Will look into that, thanks!

Will also be sending the dry tracks to a "producer/agent/friend" to see what he can come up with too. Should be fun, as this is above my paygrade, albeit fun to learn.

Mixing vocals for me, is the hardest, as I'm my own worst critic. I can hear every flaw and missed note, every misssed beat etc more than the others in the band, because, well, they don't know how I hear my performance should be.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you post the dry tracks I’d take a crack too :-D

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll post the dry tracks if you want them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool!  Will be nice to hear what you've got

Last edited by Beeg (2019-11-09 00:02:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

check your dms.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dm’d

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The guitar part that first comes in right at 0:44 is what I've named the 'spanish' stuff.
Probably not the most accurate, possibly racist, IDK.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's actually blues-ish.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He says to the guy from Chicago...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sir, I believe this mic is yours. You seem to have dropped it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

it's offical. My band "Fold Decay" will be online on all the streaming sites and purchasable within a week.

The final mix is done, and was not made by me, because I suck.

The final song is avaible for all who wants to hear it at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p4iya7wh6sbt … 0delay.wav

I'm not even gonna make a linkable link, because that's tacky, and I'd like y'all to just copy-paste that instead.

I'm also not sure who dropped the mic.

Be certain, links will be dropped once it's online proper. If even ONE person purchases it on iTtunes, we'll be profressionals, and it's all I'll take!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

oi. Love it. Also. i kinda wanna make an apple itunes thing just to be. Just to be that guy

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk - congrats!  and good move on not doing the mixing yourself.  I've found that those actually trained in it do a way better job.  all my old stuff sounds like it got run over by a truck compared to the stuff done by a professional engineer.

now just sit back and watch those .000124/play royalties come in!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks guys!
You can now find us on all your music providers.
Fold Decay - Flesh/wound should now be your favorite tune big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down