Topic: Happy Ten Year Anniversary!!

As far as I can tell, it's 10 years to the day that Teague first kicked off this site and told us he loved us all in his very first post.

Although I wasn't there right from the beginning, I just wanted to acknowledge the milestone, just in case there isn't going to be a 10-year reunion episode with all the gang smile

Thanks, Teague and everyone, for the original idea, for capturing lightning in a bottle, for the great commentary tracks, and keeping the forum going so long after. Laughed and learned a lot. Fond memories!

All the best!

https://3lr72f3dhlbp3scfdb49y0cz-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ten-years.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +8 Thumbs down

Re: Happy Ten Year Anniversary!!

Ten years ago I was graduating from high school. A lifetime's happened since then for me. And all the while the gang was comfortably sitting in the couch, making the universe a bit smarter movie after movie.

[also, do the maths: how many dick jokes can you fit into ten years?]

The Internet has become an acquaintance to me. I've slowly let it take less and less space in my life, going from pretty much 100% of it when I was younger to infrequent and chosen interventions. I only let the Internet bring me things I can feed on, creatively or humanely.

And the steady, continuous mind-numbing supernova that was social media to me (with the associated clicks on bookmarks or taps on app icons mutated into out-of-control OCD) has dissipated, leaving behind a white dwarf rich with nourishing material.

Yet this community lives on in my cosmos. I consider it to be made of the same kind of material, because it's a star with an accretion disk. When people like Teague Chrystie shine with such a strength, they possess an inherent gravity with an ability to attract people into their orbit. The gang is a multi-star system and together, they've built a little universe through their powerful mass.

[no one's put on weight. I'm still speaking metaphorically.]

And while their light has faded with the end of the commentary, the life they've breathed into everything around them lives on, setting back the entropy of the universe in their own way.

Happy anniversary, guys. Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Saniss (2019-11-20 09:03:31)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

As I mentioned here, DiF commentaries have helped me get through some tough times.
https://humorside.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/thank-you-meme-01.jpg

capturing lightning in a bottle

DiF had a secret ingredient that other film commentary podcasts didn't have: filmmakers. Most commentary podcast that were available through Zarban's old site were made by "ordinary people". There's nothing wrong with "ordinary people", but to make an awesome movie podcast you need intimate knowledge of the industry that most "ordinary people" simply don't have.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

And November 2019 is also the month that Blade Runner is set, and what's DiF/FIYH's last ever commentary?
Coincidence?
And the security cameras weren't working just as the guards went to sleep, while he was on suicide watch? Coincidence?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague hid messages about Epstein in Adventures in Faking This, we just need to go deeper.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

(Thanks, folks. I really don't know what to say, but you can bet your ass I appreciate it.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

just popped in to say how much i loved DiF. the podcast and this forum was (is) a pretty special place.  I've always been an audio/music guy, but the commentaries helped shift my perspective to thinking about the visual elements. 
hearing Eddie talk about editing caused me to go out and buy "In the Blink of an Eye" and then get slightly obsessed with editing.  It took me down a path of reading all sorts of books on film making, even though I really only work in audio.  In fact, i'm about halfway through the Hitchcock book by Truffaut right at this moment.

So ya, thanks for everything guys.  It's nice to be part, albeit no longer a regular, of this community.   And a special thanks to Teague for always responding to my random emails with an insane amount of technical information.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie-tor.

I just realized.

neutral

Last edited by Saniss (2019-12-03 00:19:02)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Everything about the plotting and writing of The Hyacinth Disaster can be traced back to what I learned listening to DiF. I barely knew how stories worked prior to it. However well Hyacinth works is of course subjective, but I learned a lot from this podcast. So, DiF contributed to and directly motivated one of the things I'm most proud of in my life so far.

To say nothing of the direct involvement of these very forum members!

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-12-03 03:17:29)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down