Topic: The Mandalorian (spoilers)

Ep 1:
Good stuff. I like the vibe. Of course I'm commenting as a non-filmcraft person so...
I really liked how it looked, and that they just went ahead and had our main character cut a dude in half.

I liked how they took their time showing us around. Shoe-leather bits, really, but since this is a world they had to make, it's the opposite of laziness.

IG-11 (bounty droid) was a treat. They did an amazing job of playing with the way that droid could move. And the dark humor bit about him trying to self-destruct all the time was awesome.

I'm only doing highlights because I'm reserving judgement until a couple episodes in, but I do want more of this: I'm intrigued, loving the vibe (a lot like Rogue One), liking the characters (Nick Nolte's alien was an amazing piece of work). The world touches are great (I love the idea that post-ESB, bounty hunters are like "oh hey, carbon freezing is awfully handy" and go bananas with it).

And oh yeah, baby Yoda species. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Mandalorian (spoilers)

I agree 100% with you about IG-11. I had a big sad when he ended up being blasted. But a big not-sad when I was the baby... uh... we don't know that species' name. I love the world they're building, and I want to end all conversations now with "I have spoken!" That will be useful in my job as a Project Manager.

Also, two humorous articles from Jalopnik, for additional flavor:
https://jalopnik.com/lets-take-a-deep-d … 1839870096
https://jalopnik.com/i-have-one-very-im … 1839827651

I suppose I will wait until March for Disney+ to come to the UK to watch it...

...I've seen it (shh)

It wasn't really grabbing me until IG-11 showed up. I was totally prepared for a Mandalorian/Droid duo. That would have been fun.

Mandalorian:  "Put the kettle on, droid."
IG-11:  "We are out of blue milk. INITIATE SELF DESTRUCT!"
Mandalorian:  "Not this again"

Somebody make that sitcom.

P.S. Your iris door needs rethinking if it is strong enough to cut your clientele in half.

Last edited by Regan (2019-11-15 10:09:00)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: iris door...
No see, the Mandalorian knew that it was limited, so he shot the panel which fried the sensors and delimited its power! tongue

Hah but yeah you're probably right

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Epsiode 2: Any reservations I had about this show went away when the brass on the score rose. Goose pimples up and down me.

Edit: This is fucking mint!

Last edited by Regan (2019-11-15 20:28:01)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

"I gotta get me one of those".  Okay. I'll allow it. I have spoken.

Last edited by Regan (2019-11-23 21:39:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This show is friggin' amazing. SOOOOOO good. I find myself counting down the hours until work is over on Fridays so I can watch this show!

Regan wrote:

"I gotta get me one of those".  Okay. I'll allow it...

Lol I am SOO glad for that joke. Without it, the shot would have been the most ridiculous, self-indulgent bit I've seen in anything outside of wartime propaganda.

I was laughing *at* it until Mando said that line, then I was laughing with it. Me of little faith...

Also enjoyed the setup-payoff of the steel in the jacket pocket smile

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm only on Chapter 2 so far, and I'm really, really loving it, except for one thing:

It's becoming more and more clear to me that you simply cannot have Star Wars without John Williams. This isn't a slight, at all, towards Ludwig Goransson -- he's a really wonderful composer, and I actually very much appreciate that someone has really tried to get away from the John Williams sound. This is definitely the best incarnation I've heard (Clone Wars and Rogue One being the only others I'm aware of, with the latter really just being "lame JW," and only truly a different sound in a couple of moments), and it's really well-written music. He approaches the scenes well, generally, his synth production is awesome, and so on.

But it's just...not...Star Wars. I'm honestly surprised at how tied the sound of that music is to this universe. I've been wondering if we could get away from it, and I was actually hopeful that we could, but -- nope, so far, I think we can't. For example, during the

SPOILER Show
Sand Crawler-climbing scene in Chapter 2,
I was so bored, because where the hell is my frantic JW action music and what the hell is with this slow-ass melody?

You just can't approach this on the Hans Zimmer side of the continuum. You just can't. Otherwise, it's not Star Wars, no matter the interpretation.

That's on purpose for sure.  This is Star Wars TM, but not STARWARS.  I'm enjoying the music.  Haven't rewatched anything yet, or pulled up the soundtrack.  Are the cartoon spinoffs (er, Rebels?) more JWesce?

Loving the shit out of the physical acting.  The stormtroopers!

Last edited by Beeg (2019-12-06 05:09:30)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

Are the cartoon spinoffs (er, Rebels?) more JWesce?

Sort of, but not really. There's a thread of homage to it, but it's far more modern and even weirdly "tribal" at times.

And yeah, no question it's on purpose. I just think it's the wrong choice.

I've always deeply enjoyed the Clone Wars theme and opening. A brilliant dynamic take on the Star Wars opening, with a clever solution to the shorter format.

Last edited by Saniss (2019-12-06 09:16:56)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't noticed the score too much - it's fit quite well as I recall but hasn't done anything bombastic to call attention to itself, at least not without rewatching. I'm listening to the main theme now and... WAIT yes okay, that bit about a minute into the main title music. I really like it. Doesn't sound like Williams, I admit, and that's fine. It does call to mind Morricone at times, which is appropriate.

Saniss, for me, Clone Wars took time to get used to (seasons of time). Until I did it felt like a cheaper version of the main theme, a knockoff. Stargate made that transition from movie score to TV theme much better.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Regan wrote:

Epsiode 2: ...the brass on the score rose. Goose pimples up and down me...

I have a weird thing for brass. Slightly explained by this

Involuntarily... my body likes it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked the Morricone call backs.

EDIT: Read that wikipedia, YES THAT. I get it from stereo phasing.

Last edited by Beeg (2019-12-06 21:50:23)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

There is some things that just resonate with me... I meant to say that in a non audio way.  But, yeah, skin orgasm isn't the answer for naming this. Sounds odd explaning that to another....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Larry, Curly and Mo are back.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*Resets the 'how many days since last door accident' counter*

Last edited by Regan (2019-12-15 20:53:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Episode 6: The Mandal-Alien

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-12-16 17:20:49)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just a reminder, this week episode comes out TOMORROW, and it comes with a special preview of Rise of Skywalker at the end of it.

Holy heck.

Oh hey. Good star wars!

But yeah this was an intense episode! tongue

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HOLY CRAP THE DARKSABER!

Next season is going to be bonkers.

Oof, that did *not* look good in live-action. Same design worked, mostly, in Clone Wars.

Aside from that? What a fun episode, what a great season. Well paced, not rushed, set things up and then paid off.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Same opinions re: the series. Great stuff.

But, uh, the idea of a dark lightsaber is stupid. Just saying hmm

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down