Re: Last movie you watched

Moulin Rouge was the first musical I ever remember /really/ falling in love with. And you're absolutely right, it's one of those shows that either you're on board with and you fall deeply madly in love with it, or you just look at it and want to throw up (actual review from someone I knew). And I think that's part of why I loved it so much back in High School and still do to this day, it's not safe. Even kind of. It knows the story it wants to tell and how it wants to tell it (Through the lens of bohemian excess and absinthe haze) and fucking COMMITS to it.

Also I just love anachronistic music and Ewan Mcgregor, full stop, so k'know, it's kind of the perfect movie for me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The cover of "Your Song" from this movie is my favorite rendition of any Elton John song, including his own.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

The cover of "Your Song" from this movie is my favorite rendition of any Elton John song, including his own.

Such is the power and majesty of Ewan Mcgregor.

We are not worthy.

(I fucking /love/ this movie y'all. Like, it's not even funny.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I fucking /love/ this movie y'all. Like, it's not even funny.

Me too, my dude. So much.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

DiF community Moulin Rouge commentary?

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yes. Yes. yes.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I’m in!

alicia ♆

https://media.giphy.com/media/LkZ7SsF7RPkWsoO2lS/giphy.gif

I was actually just watching scenes from MR last night; Cloe and I were gonna give it a rewatch anyway.

(Obviously, my role will be to shut up and let the experts talk, but.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1uguw2lgyys47MxW/giphy.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dark Waters

SPOILER Show
https://i.imgur.com/DtHOvHL.jpg

Last edited by Regan (2020-02-18 23:18:39)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lole

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tawt I taw a puddy tat!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Josie-pussycats-2001-movie.jpg

5 years after its demise, DiF continues to change my life - I learned about this movie from one of the commentaries during my re-listen. It turned out to be a very enjoyable satire, a Zoolander for the music industry (released months before the real Zoolander). Like dozens of cult movies, it was appreciated too late.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The tv show I worked on last year starred both Rosario Dawson and Alan Cumming and I pretended it was a stealth Pussycats sequel and the thought made me very happy.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNzk1ODAzNTQtYTQyOC00ZTcxLWE3Y2ItZmJhNGI2MGM5NjkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

[rewatch]

It is so fucking weird watching this movie and seeing how vital and alive all these people are and then remembering that like one of them made it past age forty-five.

The greatest documentary ever made.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Paris Is Burning is absolutely required viewing, gang. Now is as good a time as any for a (re)watch.

alicia ♆

Listen to Alice! It's on Netflix!! And under eighty minutes!!!

Last edited by Abbie (2020-03-27 02:01:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

PARIS
IS
BURNING

(teague typed while standing because he reloaded the forum and saw new post and it was this and he's cleaning and he can't talk right now but)

PARIS

IS

BURNING

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I rewatched Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead, in it's entirety, for the first time since high school last night, and I'm really wishing I had done so sooner, this movie is so entirely my shit, it's just like the perfect cozy movie. I've re-watched bits and pieces here and there, but there are entire sections I had just completely forgotten about. (I'm also WAY more familiar with Hamlet now than I was back then, so I was able to like... get the concept? better than I was back in HS, I guess?)

I don't really think there's anything I can add to the discussion, it's amazing, we all know that, but if it's been a while since you watched it, it's worth the rewatch.

I also got to have the amazing conversation with myself about trying to figure out who played Hamlet for like 80% of the movie, cause he looks almost /exactly/ like Alfie Allen, but Alfie Allen would have been like 3 when this movie was made. And then discovering, right medieval fantasy series, just the wrong actor. Apparently Alfie Allen is a spitting image of a young Iain Glenn in the right light. So TIL.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I got to see Hanel memorize Guildenstern's part in like two weeks flat for a community theater run of that show.

It was as impressive as you're thinking. It was like he memorized the fuckin' phone book, and then performed it.

(Nailed it.)

Love that show. I need to revisit the movie. Thanks for the reminder.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

I got to see Hanel memorize Guildenstern's part in like two weeks flat for a community theater run of that show.

It was as impressive as you're thinking. It was like he memorized the fuckin' phone book, and then performed it.

(Nailed it.)

Got. Damn. There's a reason I never did any Shakespeare, that shit just falls off my brain like it's waterproofed.

There's a community theatre company back home that does summer outdoor performances, where they put together 2 Shakespeares every summer, concurrently, in like 2.5 months? So like, everyone in that cast has 2 whole Shakespeares in their brain at once, and I do not even understand how that is physically possible.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

(*recalls joke Trey mentioned on the show: "why write books? write a dictionary, and all the books are in it."*)

It's like a language, I guess. You just learn how Shakespeare-times do, and then... it's just stories.

I don't get it either. Jedi shit. Dunno.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's fair, and like for guys like Patrick Stewart who have been doing Shakespeare thier entire lives (Which BTW, he's been doing daily Sonnet readings on his twitter if you haven't seen them. Soothing af), okay, fair enough, but there's like /high schoolers/ doing these shows and I just have to look at them like "What species are you!?"

Although, speaking of languages, have you seen that video from a few years back that the Globe Theater put out about their performances in as-close-as-we-can-possibly-get-to-historically-accurate Shakespearean accents? It's like listening to a completely different show, it's amazing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

1. Haven't seen Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead. Been on the list for ages. Maybe I'll make it my weekend viewing.

2. Though I can't act to save my life, I've always found the actual memorizing of Shakespeare to be pretty straightforward. It's poetry. Totally clicks in my brain.

But then, I memorize things for fun, so maybe I'm just weird.

alicia ♆

Alicia: It's absolutely worth it just to watch Tim Roth and Gary Oldman chew through the scenery on witty, surrealist dialouge. And then everything else about it is great too.

Video on OP Shakespeare \/

ZangrethorDigital.ca

When I was going to school, I had access to a big library of recorded Shakespeare performances, which included a couple performed in the original pronunciation. I think I watched part of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's a completely different way of listening to Shakespeare, definitely.

Also, I only just yesterday saw that Sir Patrick was reading sonnets on Twitter. Bless.

Maybe I should buckle in, and make it a Shakespeare weekend. Rewatch Acting Shakespeare to round things out.

alicia ♆