I'm saving Shakespeare for prison.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Last movie you watched

Watch the four-hour Branagh Hamlet, you coward, you don't have anywhere to be

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Or David Tennant and Catherine Tate's Much Ado About Nothing. God they're fantastic.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

YES. Absolutely. I love that production.

(It is ultimate a little too heavy on the comedy to be my favourite version of Much Ado. But God I am glad it exists.)

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Also Chimes at Midnight is on Criterion Channel, is the best movie Orson Welles ever made, and it makes a great backwards double feature with Branagh's Henry V (do the latter first and watch Chimes as the superior prequel).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(Apologies for the double post)

Some friends of mine put on an absolutely free production of Much Ado in the director's backyard for fun a couple of summers ago. It was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. I love theatre people.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Prequels are out in UHD - time to watch again as the resolution goes up each decade.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://contemplatrix.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/uc-film-poster1.jpg

[rewatch]

A great becoming. Community born from the ashes of life under capitalism, masquerading as romance born from the ashes of our former selves. As meticulously constructed as Primer, but abandoning that film's cold cerebralism for an elliptical sea of pure emotion and association. A masterpiece now more than ever, and definitive pandemic cinema.

(Give Shane Carruth money you fucking fucks.)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Prequels are out in UHD - time to watch again as the resolution goes up each decade.

How does that work? They were shot in high def?!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Upscaling these days is nothing more than a node in Nuke. And it's frighteningly efficient.

Last edited by Saniss (2020-04-07 08:23:18)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also TPM was shot on 35mm, so that one comes by it honestly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Except for that one scene they shot in digital, with the Twi'lek blood orgy.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AotC 3D scenes in 4K. My brain... farts... at the thought.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*Geonosians crawl across Saniss's brain*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

A great becoming. Community born from the ashes of life under capitalism, masquerading as romance born from the ashes of our former selves. As meticulously constructed as Primer, but abandoning that film's cold cerebralism for an elliptical sea of pure emotion and association. A masterpiece now more than ever, and definitive pandemic cinema.

Definitely time for me to give Upstream Color a rewatch, because my reaction at the time was visceral dislike and yet I'm inclined to think it's my kind of film. So. Hoping my present self is at a better place to receive this one.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Hoping so as well!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm.

I might make a project of this-the-same, this week. It's probably time I at least watched the thing, after all.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

TPM was shot on 35mm, but weren't the VFX shots scanned in at 2k and then printed back onto film? And since there's a lot of VFX shots, I'd guess that most of the film's negative only has 2k worth of resolution anyway. Though it is possible that they went back to camera negatives, scanned those in at 4k, and then re-composited the CGI, but I don't know if the old software they used would even work on today's computers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, it's the maestro!

!

Anyway.

I agree. I'd be astonished if they did much actual work on this. I'll bet it's mostly an uprez of old filmouts.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Think about it, though. Twice the resolution equals four times more pixels where George can do worthless modifications. It's a playground! Like, a poetry playground.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Much like higher dimensions, the higher poetries all take place in very small folded spaces.

Four pixels each.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Threadsmoviecover.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ. Fucking . . . Jesus fucking Christ.

The whimper after the bang. ABSOLUTELY the wrong quarantine viewing, which of course means it's the perfect quarantine viewing. Two hours of complete and utter hell on earth.

And then you read the Wiki article and discover that Ronald Reagan watched it and realize that art is pointless, we're never going to get rid of nuclear weapons and the atrocities depicted here could still happen at any time. Wheeeeeeeee

This is available on Mubi for the next four days. Sign up for a free trial and watch it.

Last edited by Abbie (2020-04-09 02:39:51)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

*writes note on arm*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Threadsmoviecover.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ. Fucking . . . Jesus fucking Christ.

The whimper after the bang. ABSOLUTELY the wrong quarantine viewing, which of course means it's the perfect quarantine viewing. Two hours of complete and utter hell on earth.

And then you read the Wiki article and discover that Ronald Reagan watched it and realize that art is pointless, we're never going to get rid of nuclear weapons and the atrocities depicted here could still happen at any time. Wheeeeeeeee

This is available on Mubi for the next four days. Sign up for a free trial and watch it.

Threads is the scariest movie I've ever seen, I can't imagine watching it in quarantine.

*grabs blu-ray copy*

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2020-04-10 19:40:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have never seen Threads, and continue to have mixed feelings about whether I want to.   Possibly because I have seen Testament, a feature that came out the year before Threads and covers pretty much the same ground.  Testament seems mostly forgotten now, though Jane Alexander was nominated for an Oscar for it. 

It's not as sensational as I gather Threads is - it's a very small movie about a small town outside San Francisco after a nuclear war. Nothing spectacular happens, it's just two hours of watching things get worse and characters dying of fallout poisoning, with Jane Alexander trying to keep it together as the mom of a small family after dad never came back from work that day.     Saw it once in 1983 and some scenes are still burned into my memory. Although it's a great, well-made movie I've never felt an urge to watch it again.

So I wouldn't call this a recommendation per se, but hey, if you saw Threads and thought "gosh I hope there are more movies like this", then Testament is there for ya.

Of course there's also On The Beach, the original "well, the world is over so NOW what?" fallout movie from 1959, in which the residents of Melbourne wait to die from the aftereffects of a Northern Hemisphere nuclear war they weren't even involved in. 

So that'd be one hell of a triple feature, if you want to really cheer yourself up.