Re: Dubious musical taste.

Watched Sweet Smell of Success for the first time this week and LOVED. SO. HARD, and Elmer Bernstein's score for it is straight fucking fire.

And then forty years later he was doing this RAPTUROUS shit.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Had a conversation with Teague tonight in which he told me he hadn't realized Laura Jane Grace, the lead singer of Against Me!, is a trans woman. So, for those of you who haven't had the pleasure, one of the best rock albums of recent memory!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I. Love. This. Theme.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saaame.

(I've actually been starting to get into synthwave in general, which is both cool and frustrating because there's not enough of it on Pandora or the like for good variety so discovery is a bit hard.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Just had Lawrence recommended to me and damn I am so into them. And they make very fun music videos.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Damn. That's hella fun.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo Ma, and Stuart Duncan just announced that they're finally releasing a follow-up to The Goat Rodeo Sessions, which is a good excuse for me to share this piece from the original album.

The violin run at a little after 1:20 is what flying must feel like.

On a very different note, just got introduced to Caterina Barbieri, and have already put this track into heavy rotation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

(I've actually been starting to get into synthwave in general, which is both cool and frustrating because there's not enough of it on Pandora or the like for good variety so discovery is a bit hard.)

I find Music Map to be really helpful for this. Just search for a band and it gives you similar bands and then you can click through if you find one you really like and just sort of follow the roads of similarity all over the map. Really fun way to kill an afternoon and find a bunch of new bands.

In this case, start with Celldweller and go from there. https://www.music-map.com/celldweller

(I'll recommend Scandroid though. It's the same artist as Celldweller, he just wanted to have a separate stage name for the Scandroid project. Scandroid, the self titled album, is easily my favorite complete album of synthwave I've ever found. Highly recommend."

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh man I think I remember you listening to Scandroid on a stream of yours I was watching! ON IT

Yeah that's the one.

Also here's this. A playlist I've been bodging together from other playlists and stuff as I find it. Can't speak for everything in here by name, since I just lifted whole chunks of it blindly from other peoples playlists, but it's got some excellent stuff in it.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Avew … vIOEWRthKQ

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Since Bandcamp is giving all proceeds today til 12:00 AM PST directly to artists, have some album recommendations! All of these are worth your time and available to purchase from Bandcamp.

Tiny Vipers - Life on Earth
Crooked Still - Crooked Still Live
Dessa - Castor, the Twin
Bobby Broom - Bobby Broom Plays for Monk
Berlinist - Gris
Propagandhi - Victory Lap
Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation
Allison Miller's Boom Tic Boom - Otis Was a Polar Bear
Waxahatchee - American Weekend
Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Close But No Cigar
Bobby Previte - The Coalition of the Willing
The Shondes - My Dear One
Bella Wolf - Bella Wolf
Hawktail - Formations
Laura Cannell - The Sky Untuned
Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - Sidelong
rachaelandvilray - Rachael & Vilray
Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?
case/lang/veirs - Case/Lang/Veirs

Last edited by Abbie (2020-03-28 16:28:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would just like to give a nod to the name 'Propagandhi'.

Last edited by Regan (2020-03-21 20:27:14)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I watched a Sherman Brothers documentary today, and then went alittle crazy listening to their songbook on Spotify. #ASpoonFullOfSugarHelpsTheQuarantineGoBy

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Perfect sleepy music.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh this is awesome. Thanks.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Most welcome! Whole record is definitely worth checkin' out—if you like Frisell's vibe, his fellow ECM guitarists Pat Metheny and John Abercrombie are also very much worth listening to.

Last edited by Abbie (2020-04-12 04:00:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

New Fiona Apple record is a banger.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

psst.

fiona apple listening party. 3pm ET.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

o rly

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just love Tool.
This song was the first single released from the 2019 album, 13 years after the last one, and it was absolutely bonkers!

The rest of the album, however, was ok+. Not great, not at all bad, but just not ace. Still, this song was great.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Hm.

I listened to that whole thing.

Where should I start, with Tool?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's hard to say.

I started with 10.000 days, and I love the album. Then, slowly moved through the whole catalogue.

If you liked that song, I'd say Lateralus(album) and 10.000 days(album) would be a safe bet.

The song lateralus is actually built upon the fibonacci sequence as well. It's a mathematical song.

it's hard to even define this band, because, while, they do "classify" as prog metal, it's a whole lot more to it. The vocalist is also in "a perfect circle", and Tool is more of an ensemble band than anything else, but it's just very good music.

I mean, my favorite bands are Linkin Park, Fall out Boy, 30 seconds to Mars, Paramore and that sort of thing, but for some reason, Tool just stuck with me.

I remember hearing about them back in 2003, from a friend, who said I wouldn't like them, and 2003 me agrees with that statement. However, my first real expore to them was in Guitar Hero World Tour, where schism, parabola and vicarious were playable songs, and from there on out, I just knew this band "got me". You know, how emo's in the early 2000's would define a band as getting them, not the other way around. Tool has great music, excellent compositions, and lyrics that match to boot.

I've even done Schism in a karaoke bar. Sure, the crowd probably didn't like the music, but hell, I sang Tool live.

Tool is awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you so much for this post.

I shall return to it. Thanks for the guidance.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tom is correct: Tool is excellent. Been a paying fan since the they played on a side stage at Lolla '92.

Having so little musical talent/education myself, I've been mesmerized by the way the guitar cadence changes in the first 20s or so since the first time I listened to this CD. Change of time signature? Syncopation? Do you music people have a name for that kind of thing?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"This trend of slow, melancholy covers of upbeat hits really needs to die."

*stumbles upon this Phoebe Bridgers video*

" . . . some points were made."

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down