Re: Dubious musical taste.

Huh.

Interesting as hell.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya know, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he isn't actually happy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mommy. Hold me. The nasty man is scaring me

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Huh, well somebody's having a worse 2020 than I am

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And here I was thinking Elfman only wrote the music. I had no idea until *NOW* he actually performed it too.

The more you know.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

And here I was thinking Elfman only wrote the music. I had no idea until *NOW* he actually performed it too.

The more you know.

Fun fact: Danny Elfman is the singing voice for Jack Skellington.

(Also the whole Oingo Boingo thing, which I only know of by reputation and that fact he was the singer-songwriter... so I'm not really qualified to talk on that one)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Fun fact: Danny Elfman is the singing voice for Jack Skellington.

That's exactly what I was referring to.

..But I can see how I confused you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tiny Vipers–level.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have gone down a heartwarming rabbit hole of watching Rick Astley have the time of his life performing "Never Gonna Give You Up" in the present day. (Also these are just some killer arrangements.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That casual little mic flip on the second video at 3:15 :'D I didn't actually watch that one when you were tweeting these last night, but I did go and listen to this from circa forever ago, aka the start of lockdown - Rick Astley at home performing Everlong.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I discovered the oeuvre of Vigiland last night in my pre-going-back-to-work-insomnia-fueled-youtube-rabbit-holeing-stupor:

I am a fan.

________

Also completely apropos of nothing, the best travel ad banger I've ever heard.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Coupla songs "for" people.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LatinAlice wrote:

damn. that's gorgeous. oof.

*puts on the shelf next to Dave Malloy's Octet.*

Finally listening and damn this is good

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Danny's at it again. This is really fucking good.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Danny's at it again. This is really fucking good.

Should we be concerned? Is everything at home okay, Danny? I'm starting to think this is a cry for help.

Brilliant, though!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 synths, 1 upright piano, 5 foot pedals and a theremin. 50 minutes of pure vibes. MEZERG.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So THIS is what Brian has been doing post DiF

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague and Alice probably know this dude already but he doesn't have a lot of subscribers, which is a shame because he's GOOD. Lots of fun songs on his channel, and also an old performance of Nightmare Before Christmas' Jack's Lament that's really well done.

Last edited by Saniss (2021-01-19 19:27:30)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He's unstoppable!

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm afraid I've fallen down an endless Marc Rebillet pit. This guy is INSANELY talented.

(and 90% of the time in his underwear)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So.

I don't know if you know my musical taste in general here, or if you just assumed since my band released a single, I'm "That guy". Hell, I don't know if you know I was a singer. I'm gonna assume, however, you did.

In 2016, I started taking the whole singer-business seriously. It's when my band started. It's when I more or less discovered that the whole singing thing was not something people said to shut me up, it was more of a thing I should pursue. We've done a lot since then, most of it not successful, of course, and that's a good thing, but the thing that's stuck with me since the early 2000's, is people that understand singing. So acoustic versions/covers of a song is sort of my jam. Don't really care which band it is etc, but I seriously appreciate the acoustic versions because I get to hear the vocalist do their best, and with as little backing as possible.

CUT TO:

My friend, a music merchant, if you will. For the longest time, this dude wasa the dude that just discovered music. I.E; he was the dude that always found the new shit. Be it old, new, funky or weird, he was our merchant. The dude that seemed to always have music in his repertoir, and was always willing to share it with us, and surprisingly, the guy that alwas seemed to know what we'd like, as individuals. He'd send me a track I loved, and my friends would probably agree. He was the damned music merhcang. A title not shared easily.

So; In 2020, more specifically February 14th. Most of you will know this as the infamous Valentine's day. I don't know it as anything more than a day in my calendar, but this dude heard a song. A song that would resonate through my veins like little else.

Short backround; THe band is called "Falling In Reverse" and wasn't really big in Europe, so until a year ago; I didn't know they existed. I had no idea what kind of music they were known for, nor what kind of music they were currently doing.
That being said, I really wish I did. Back in the 00's, I was deep into Linkin Park, Hoobastank, The Used, Thrice, Ceasars, Evanescence, and the whole early emo-scene. I ate it for breakfast, I brushed my teeth to that shit.

However, "Falling in Reverse" never made it to Europe. Not for lack of style or performance, it was just one of those bands that fell under the radar. Maybe they were just too close to the genre and felt too familiar; I don't know.

However, my dude had it all under control. He knows I'm a vocalist, And I think he knew at some point I enjoyed Acoustic pieces, because he knew that this track would sit very well with me.

The original track goes as follows;

Now, I know, unless you were there, it's just alright, or downright not your jam. That's alright. I get it. But, if you listen to the lyrics, you might get a sense this isn't where the writer wanted the song to go. In fact, this might seem like a classical case of the Emo's, and the lyrics don't mean jack. It's just a fairly depressive text, set to an upbeat song. But that's not the case at all, it seems. See, in 2020, the band(meaning the Lead singer) decided to reinterpret his old material, and thusly decided to break it down. It's an "acoustic" piece, in which he sings it like it means something, accompanied only by the piano, and towars the end of it all, a full ensemble and his band.
Needless to say; I fell in love with the whole thing.

Oh, btw, it's here;

CUT TO:

A year later. We've all been in a damned quarantine ever since, and we all hate it. Except those of us who don't. We hate people, we don't really look forward to going back to the way things were. Some of us even took the time to check out that "Falling in Reverse" Band. SOme of us even worked over time, listening to that band in particular, seeing as they change their style every now and then, meaning that if our taste changes, we'll still be covered. Hell, some of us got addicted to this song;

And some of us still knew that music merchant. That dude that really didn't(according to us) do anything else than browse youtube to find music and videos that would satisfy their friends.
But that friend did find another gem. And I don't really care about how you feel about Ronnie Radke, his band or anything in particular. All I can think about is how they(he) managed again, to break one of their songs down to the bare neccessities, and make it so damn different, and make it all about the vocals. Say what you want about Falling In Revese, but damn that singer can sing.

Here's their latest "acoustic" version and it's amazing;

Not only is it amazing; it shows that the singer is capable of so much more. Sure he's more of rap artist these days, but that last track was from this year, proving he's got fuckin' range.

I used to feel Jared Leto(Famously known as The Joker, less famously known as the singer of 30 Seconds to Mars) Was a great singer, and he still is, but Ronnie Radke tends to prove time and time again why he actually deserves that praise, while Leto just releases what he wants without a sense of context. Don't get me wrong, Leto is an amazing vocalist, but he doesn't come close to some of my favorites, in which Radke currently is.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Over the past 6 months Pluffaduff has released a trilogy of full mashup albums, which is just a fucking bonkers amount of work to think about, with the last one releasing today and they are all extremely good. (With the obvious caveat that all mashup stuff has it's ups and downs and really depend on your relationship to the individual pieces the artist is pulling from as much as it does the final track itself.) That said, there's a few that I would legitimately say transcend the medium into masterpieces in their own right:

'One' is this magical tapestry of a million disparate elements pulled from decades of pop culture that all coalesce into this thing that feels so... unique? It's like a classical painting painted with ketchup, mud and truffle shavings and I just want to pick it apart and figure out htf it even works. And 'Free', especially as the last song of the project, is like the ultimate cathartic expression of a tremendous weight being lifted from the soul, and it was pretty fucking magical.

But there's so many other great tracks that range of masterpieces of editing and concept, to straight up shitposts, it's fantastic.

(I will say not safe for work, at least the first time through, standard hip-hop/rap/pop music sort of warnings apply to some them)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

ZangrethorDigital.ca