Re: What Are You Playing?

Will check out.

EDIT: Did check out. Definitely not my thing. Too much trial and error. I see the appeal though, I just absolutely can't stand games where you have to keep doing the same section again and again and again to complete it. I don't get the satisfaction other people do when I "finally" complete it. Also, the controls weren't super intuitive. I suppose once you've played a few levels, they're tight. Felt kinda weird to jump on RB instead of just A.

Also, currently playing Watch Dogs Legion.
It's a mixed bag. London is a cool city to play around, and the game mechanics are super fun, but the story is a bit cliche(if not relevant), and the characters, because you can play as every single NPC you can fin, are paper thin.

I'll come back and write a review maybe. But then there's also Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Assassin's Creed Valhalla in the next two weeks.

Time to hurry.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2020-11-04 17:48:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks! I'll definitely give that demo a shot. Looks slick as hell.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Well, I'm not gonna write a review or anything for Watch Dogs Legion. What I will say is I stopped playing it once Assassin's Creed Valhalla came out, and I don't really want to go back and complete it. It's just meh. It's not very varied, and the story is too thin.

Valhalla, on the other hand.. is amazing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright. I'm finished with Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

I'm torn.

On the one hand, it's an excellent viking simulator. Not exactly realistic, but hey. On the other hand, it's supposed to be an Assassin's Creed game.

I like the setting. 9th century England and Norway is great. I like the environment, the general tone of it, the setting as a whole is quite a spectacle to behold.
However, Assassin's creed games used to be set in a single city(or a few), which worked so much better. Having to ride across the English countryside to get to another "city", which honestly passes more as a settlement than anything else, feels like a chore. It used to be "get to that district", and now it's "get to that county", and when the games compress entire countries into a 8km by 6km piece of land, it feels too tiny. Days may pass, story-wise, between towns, but it took a few minutes to ride there, which in game-time, translates to a few hours, judging by the day/night cycle.

The games used to be about parkouring your way through city scapes, and assassinating targets. Now it's a ridiculously large open world, and Dark Souls. Because the combat isn't what it used to be, and while it's good they changed it up, why does every goddamn game have to be dark souls now?
Even assassinations now, are based on dmg+crit chance. If I managed to sneak past an entire army, to perfectly stealth kill my target, I expect to be able to do just that, instead of a hidden blade penetrating the jugular be just a flesh wound, and now the entire fucking village is on to me. Not to mention the combat system is so much based on perfect parries and dodges, lest your stamina runs out.

On the story;
It's a fairly straight forward one. Go to England, seize the entire country. There are of course intrigues, drama and humor in there, but nothing I didn't really see coming.
As for the modern day setting, they actually did bring some interesting stuff to the table, only to cut it short way too early, leaving me wanting more. Classic, sure, but when theres a 2 year wait for the next game(I assume), and they have like 30 minutes or so of modern day stuff, they could've made it more compelling, if not complete.

This is the third game in the new style of games, and I still play them, but I did just download the Ezio Trilogy to play those again. Hopefully they're as good as I remember them to be, but it's been 10 years.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started Assassin's Creed II again for one of my weekly streams and am really enjoying it. I haven't played any of the new AC games, Steph played Odyssey and is in the middle of Valhalla but skipped Origins; I think I'll try all three pretty soon with the expectation of a different style of gameplay.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

https://image.api.playstation.com/vulcan/img/cfn/113072i_2nn8HgrE4CdhpKbyvH5kCEBchbEEylE2_9TVTfC0625A0DKFr4wTqLZa_Hb0rIST0lQEz_faTs3SZ34FNS4xoy6j.png

I played Coffee Talk on stream over four different sessions, and it was a really great time. "Gameplay" is limited to just making drinks for the customers, though what you make them can affect how the story goes. Mostly, though, you listen to them, find out about the urban fantasy world outside of the coffee shop, and play witness to a tumultuous couple of weeks. All told it was about eight hours of gameplay and I absolutely recommend it if you've ever liked any sort of visual novel style of game. Playing it live was especially a treat because it meant I got to come up with voices for each of the characters, some of which I just adored.

If you don't think you'd get around to it but still want to check it out, I'm clipping the stream video and releasing it as a series of videos, one for each "night" of gameplay. The first one does a great job of showing what the game aims to do through the rest of its run.

Coffee Talk, Day 1: September 22, 2020

Been enjoying the heck out of Moonglow Bay.

https://4hb3eq9po4snp73pncapg9-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/MoonglowBay_Screenshot_02-scaled.jpg

https://4hb3eq9po4snp73pncapg9-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/MoonglowBay_Screenshot_04-scaled.jpg

You’re set up in an East Canadian fishing village tasked with single-handedly pulling the local economy out of its nosedive by selling seafood-based meals out of your home kitchen. Similar gameplay hook as Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon. It’s rendered in a blocky, 3D style, supplemented with gorgeous menus and 2D artwork.

https://moonglowbay.com

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That looks gorgeous. Kinda gives me Moonlighter vibes, which I quite recommend.

Ghost of Sushima.
Late to the party, but y'know. I like it. It's sort of like dark souls, in that the combat wants you to be patient, and weigh out your next move, but there's no stamina management, so you don't get punished for missing a beat. Instead, you may just get sliced. But at least it's not because your character is exhausted all the fucking time.

I don't like Dark Souls, ok?

Although, I'm tempted to buy Elden Ring now. Fucking hype.

I'll finish Sushima, and see if the hype has gone away.

Thumbs up Thumbs down