Re: The Mandalorian (spoilers)

I’m going to respectfully disagree and say the Darksaber looked dead on.

I just don’t understand why the Grand Moff’s TIE has folding wings and landing gear but the ones in the Episodic movies land on their wings without folding them.

I buy it. I think a Moff would warrant the budget for whatever projects they like. If Krennic can take a peek at blueprints for an unproduced shuttle and convince Sienar to make one for him, someone high in the Imperial Remnant can say, "Hey, what about this, but *usable*?"

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

As the forum's resident Clone Wars lover, you can bet I squee'd hard over the Darksaber.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I did some Wookiepedia hunting yesterday night; apparently those TIEs are called Outlaw TIEs, and were specifically made to make ingress and egress easier outside of Star Destroyers.

Yeah I will 100% admit to checking Wookieepedia before my last post about them tongue

OH. Can I say: the two biker scouts just sitting there with nothing to do for like five minutes straight is some of my favorite Star Wars? That is the kind of stuff we'd see in some fanfilms back in the day.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Same!! The biker scene is gold. And I noticed how the show made sure that *both* troopers hit the Child. Otherwise we might have sympathy for them when IG murders them. Fuck those guys tongue

And,
Mandalorian: I'm not sad.
IG: Yes you are. I'm a nurse droid, I've analyzed your voice.

...was adorable

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah, you hit baby Yoda. I hit you. It's odd that this little wrinkley green grotesque thing is just SO. FREAKIN'. ADORABLE!

I'm pretty bummed about IG-11 but a valid way to go.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thoughts on seeing Pedro Pascal's face? I thought for sure they were going to cut away, or at least use camera angles to obscure him, but I do like that we got to see his reaction to the droid taking care of him and his reversal of his anti-droid stance on, at least, this droid in particular.

I think you had to see it for the emotion in the scene. But it was a surprise that the helmet-off scene happened.

Also, the speeder bike stormtroopers being unable to hit a can that’s two yards away was amazing.

Despite being someone who is not a massive Star Wars fan, I really enjoyed this show.

I have spoken, etc.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2020-01-20 22:07:30)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm enjoying the new season so far. First episode was fantastic (Krayt Dragon).
Spiders episode had really good atmosphere.
Episode back with Greef Karga and bluefish guy was reeeeally fun.
Seeing the mandalorians taking over an imperial ship was also great.

The Ahsoka episode definitely feels like it would ring better if I could have brought myself to like Clone Wars, but it did a pretty good job even for someone who barely knows who Ahsoka is. She's the Jedi Mando was sent to find, she has a history...yada yada. They could have over-explained it, and I'm really glad they exercised restraint. For those who know Clone Wars, I imagine it worked, and for those who don't (me) it worked as a simple Jedi side-character episode.
Only thing that reeeeeally wasn't working for me was her gosh-darn lightsabers. I know enough about Tano to understand why they're white (no issue there), but the *effect* of them was so......bland. Like they legit looked like FX plastic bars. They had practically no flare, like the Ep 3 "physical point" sabers dialed up to 11, with no halo.

I actually liked the juxtaposition of Mando and the Other Guy talking while listening to the saber fight instead of watching the whole thing. That was an awesome directorial choice. Although from what little they showed of the fight being kinda bad choreography, maybe that choice makes practical sense tongue Either way, I liked that quite a bit. I also liked how the episode didn't explain everything verbally. You pick up on what happened through off-handed remarks, even that one old dude probably being the former magistrate of the town who they all still respect because he's been trying to help. Good stuff.

So we're probably in the wrap-it-up episodes next, which I'm sure will be great. But I'm stating here that I've really appreciated how the show is totally fine being so limited in scope. Love it, love it, love it.

Oh, also Grogu is.....a name. Dunno about that one yet tongue

Last edited by Writhyn (2020-11-28 15:49:26)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Grogu will Grow-gu on me, I'm sure (yes, please, groan at the pun, it was bad).

As someone who enjoyed Clone Wars, Ahsoka *worked* so well for me. I didn't have a problem with her sabers visually, but I did notice that they showed a lot of restraint in their sound design. Barely any idle hum, the swinging sounds were quite soft, and even when impacting the beskar spear the sound was more of a metallic clang than the familiar saber clashing sound.

Having a Jedi come in and make this be a tipping point of the season, if not the series - now we know who Grogu is, his backstory has been decently explained, and they've outright said that Din is a father figure and shown how much they both care for each other - is a good move, and for those up on those parts of the lore, having it be Ahsoka is great. She is a bit overly dramatic at times (standing on the courtyard wall behind Din - I said, "Dramatic much?" and Steph replied, "Well, remember her master *was* Anakin - also the effect of literally disappearing into the fog at the start which I *loved*), and her movements really matched her show presence as well, while still being more grounded in live-action.

Great episode, perhaps my favorite of the season. Though I am getting a little tired of the, go to a planet and be told which planet to go to next, format. Hopefully the temple planet next episode will stay there for a couple episodes.

I did notice the sound stuff, but I assumed that must be how her sabers were in the show and shrugged.

And yeah, I've been ok with the planet-of-the-week format, but I'm hoping to see more of one place in the rest of the season.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sorry Mando, The Jedi is in another castle"

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I cannot stress how much I'm fanboy-ing out having Bo Katan Introduce Ahsoka, and then Ahsoka introducing Thrawn.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I legitimately gasped when she asked about Thrawn.

Also, her sabers also light and retract with a different sound than what we're used to. Maybe whatever is causing that also makes them silent. Also also, Galaxy's Edge sells replica hilts of those sabers and I want them so badly but they're $200 sad

Last edited by Ben (2020-12-14 16:32:21)

SONIC. CHARGES.

I may have squealed a bit when I saw Fett reach for the switch!!

Overall great episode, some really cool character moments. But honestly one of the best parts was seeing the interior of the slave 1 do its thing while the characters were talking (rotating and such). Dunno why it was so neat, but it was.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed. They handled the ship really well. Hell, Boba in general they're doing a good job of using well but not stooping to fan-service. Looks good with newly painted armor, and his off-the-cuff, "Let's just say they might recognize my face," landed for me at the time. (In retrospect it'd make him a natural for the infiltration.)

When Slave I flew across screen and made its signature engine noise, I squeed a little, and noticed Steph looking at me. "Shut up," I said, fake-abashed, and she laughed and said that she really enjoyed seeing me get so excited over things like that.

Other thoughts:

Pedro Pascal did a great job of not emoting with his face, partially because Din isn't used to it, and partially because he was uncomfortable to the point of being in shock interacting with people without his helmet. It was tough to watch - you can see him giving up everything to make sure Grogu is safe.

And finally... "It's one load of ore, and you're all celebrating like the first transport is away."

AHHHHHHHHHH HOLY CRAP THAT LAST EPISODE HOLY BALLS HOLY CRAP HOLY CARP HOLY BOLLOCKS.

Okay, I feel better now.

Everything about it was awesome. I think some were frustrated that they went back to the old well, so to speak, by bringing Luke in....but so what? It makes perfect sense. We knows he's been looking for trainees. Why wouldn't it be him? And it's not like now we have to watch the Luke and Grogu show: it's not about them at all. It's about *ahem* The Mandalorian.

That said, my gosh Luke did not look right at all. The lighting on his face was completely flat and unlike the entire scene. We've seen extraordinary deepfakes at this point. There's no excuse for that sad

Other than that, the episode was great and a perfect conclusion for Mando's quest with the Child. It was powerful and emotional. Great episode, great season.

Last edited by Writhyn (2020-12-19 03:37:55)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty much agree on everything. I said, half-jokingly, after last episode that I'd flip my shit if they actually brought Luke in as the "other Jedi", knowing there's no way they would... and well holy crap they actually went and did it. But yeah, oof, my poor boy Luke, they did you more than a bit dirty on the facial match there. I do appreciate the clever framing of having every shot that wasn't Luke's face from that one angle exactly cut off at the neck so they wouldn't need to do the face match on it. Like, c'mon guys, you can frame it down a /little/ bit, it doesn't have to cut off exactly at his chin every time.

I definitely made some variety of unnatural noise when R2 rolled out and did his little hello wiggle.

And I'll give Filoni, and maybe more so Disney, some credit in /letting/ Filoni et al. do this but I am downright flaberghasted and impressed that given the ABSURD cashcow that Grogu is, to actually exit him from the show for legitimate story reasons is kind of a bonkers thing actually go through with, and oddly makes me really hopeful for how far they're going to be willing to go in doing some weird story stuff with their million and a half other shows down the line.

But speaking of... excuse me... *ahem*... THE BOOK OF BOBA Coming Dec 2021. AAAAAAAAAHHHHOOOHMYGAWDYESSSSSSSSS. I have just, an incredible love for the entire mythos and concept of the clone army and the fallout thereof and Disney bringing that back in with older Boba is just fueling this weird little fire that's been buried in my brain since Attack Of The Clones first came out. And I just absolutely adore watching and hearing Temuera Morrison on screen, full stop.

So. I'm a little excited.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I just watched the scene again in a little more sober headspace, and while it's a little weird he hasn't changed his hairstyle in almost a decade, the face is actually pretty close, but there's absolutely some wacky shenanigans happening with the compositing that kills the effect. The bigger issue is that he's so dang lifeless. Like when has Luke Skywalker ever NOT introduced himself? That's like, his thing. And especially to someone who's risked his life over and over safegaurding Grogu, he just comes as kind of a dick about the whole thing. Just "Yo, I'm here for the kid, k, bye. Oh sorry what did you say-? Where are we going? Who am I?  Sorry can't hear the door's closi-" Which feels so antithetical to the Post-ROTJ-But-Pre-TFA Luke we know, who I think would deeply care about those relationships and about the normal people involved. Paired with the restricted movement they seemed to impose on themselves for the VFX, it's just intensely awkward, and not in the "Holy shit we're meeting a literal wizard right now" they could have played it if they were fully committing to playing The Mandalorian from Mando's POV of the universe, but just in the "he's not really talking, and everyone's just doing a lot of staring at each other and I don't know what I'm supposed to do right now" sort of way.

IDK, maybe it's just me, but nothing about that interaction, except for R2, /felt/ like the character of Luke.

ALSO.

OMG.

You guys spend 2 freaking seasons setting up how absolutely intrinsic that control knob is to their relationship and then DON'T use it for their 'goodbye, we'll see each other again'?! WHAT THE ACTUAL **** GUYS!?!?? uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhh

ZangrethorDigital.ca

My issue with Luke was that he looked too young. Pre-ROTJ (but post-ESB). His face should have been a bit rougher. And... yeah, it didn't really feel like a Luke thing, but that said, we know he went through some pretty heavy development through to TFA. Maybe he did get a bit into the "powerful Jedi master" role, and he played *that* part really well.

The rest of the episode was absolutely amazing though. Gideon had some great scheming going on, and it was gratifying when it finally collapsed when he saw the X-wing.

With Gideon gone - the main antagonist - and Grogu gone (for some time at least), I wonder where they'll go with season 3, but I'm excited to see it.

Gideon's setup such that Bo-Katan couldn't have the darksaber was wickedly devious. Full marks!

I assume now the next season is going to be Mando figuring out if he wants to be Mandalore

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it's official: The Book of Boba Fett is NOT season 3 of The Mandalorian. It's a spin off show. Apparently, season one of Fett and season three of The Mandalorian will have the same storyline, just from two different points of view (how Star Wars is that?).

Also, one thing I liked about Luke is that we got to see young and brash Jedi Luke kicking around some robots (no living beings were harmed) in his prime. It was nice to see him given modern saber choreography, much in the same way it was awesome to see Vader at the end of Rogue One.

And if you think the fact that both those scenes mirrored each other is sheer coincidence, I'd bet you're wrong.