Re: Cool vids...again.

I've jumped off a lot of things, my high school jock identity was extremely tied to being a springboard diver on the school team. Did some indoor platform stuff up to about 5m, but that was the max the ceiling allowed. One summer,  1990-ish, my brother and I found a riverside cliff in Missouri by my grandparents house, climbed up it with a long surveyor's tape measure and kept jumping from greater and greater heights. We finished at 70 feet (20 meters, give or take). Scariest shit I've ever done. But that's the secret: you work up to it...and it's never not terrifying.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If youtube hadn't served me the same thing this morning, I'd be a bit worried.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@Drew: I was just watching one of Adam Savages QnA videos on tested about the Mythbuster days and he was talking about bungee jumping and how it's so true that every single time you go it just gets worse, even for the pros. (fun video, worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvhYMPvPR4)

I was a terrified of everything sort of kid, so the closest I ever got was... we had a 5m outdoor board at one of the swimming pools in town that I actually got kind of okay with jumping off by the end there. But that's about it. My blood still runs a bit cold thinking about much of anything higher than that, although weirdly I think I'd probably be okay with it now in practice (Maybe not 20, but probably 10), I just haven't even been near a swimming pool since I was 17.

@Beeg: ?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh shit, I missed the last and thought you'd forgot the link. I assumed we were talking about this:
... which showed up in my youtubes this morning.

Last edited by Beeg (2020-12-16 03:27:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH. Gotcha. We are, I posted that a couple months back and Drew was just replying, but I thought you were talking about the Wayne Brady thing I posted, so it's all sort of out of order and everything is just wackadoodle.

(It's on the last page, whee fun times with forum layout) It must've hit another trending phase so YT is posting it all over the place again, cause that's 100% how I found it last time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Hey google, define "Deadpan".

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Wow, Steph and I watched that, then we watched his other stuff - at first I thought he did more serious reviews then did the Ever clear as a gag, but no, his whole channel is like that and it's great.

He did Fireball dirty, though tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I could watch Jim talk about the Muppets forever.

Boter wrote:

Wow, Steph and I watched that, then we watched his other stuff - at first I thought he did more serious reviews then did the Ever clear as a gag, but no, his whole channel is like that and it's great.

It's so good, he pretty much immediately became one of those channels I will drop everything to watch when a new vid drops.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

As a somewhat asterisk'd fan of Mr. Clarkson: Neat.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Jill Bearup analyzes fight scenes from a stage combat perspective. I first watched her Mask of Zorro one, but here's what might be my favorite one, contrasting two fight scenes in the movie Pacific Rim:

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I watched that last night. Did you post that, is that how I saw it? Anyway, fascinating stuff.

I posted here, but that's it. Someone posted it in one of the many discords I'm on yesterday, and I promptly binged all 5 episodes so far.

And I love with the exception of Papa Roach, who had their whole garage band makes it big thing going on, all of the pieces were basically stories about just doin the work, thinking it was a failure or just another day, but then getting that momentary spark of dumb luck, and that propelling it to the iconic thing we all know. Very cool stories I had never heard before.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Brian David Gilbert is perhaps best known at this point for his Unraveled series on Polygon. He recently left Polygon and is sorta doing his own thing. When this one started, I expected something funny but creepy, like "Earn $20K EVERY MONTH by being your own boss". Instead I got... more than I bargained for, very uncomfortable, and so well done.

Teaching Jake about the Camcorder, Jan '97

seeing BDG take this left turn into horror shorts has been fabulous. this one is giving me the uncle who works for nintendo vibes. I'm so into it.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

I mean, he'd done horror before, but it's always been with a punchline, or at least a really silly through-line. ("how to make jorts" also comes to mind.)

This Indonesian guy built his own DIY drumkit and plays complicated pieces flawlessly with it. The Dance of Eternity is one of Dream Theater's most intricate songs with numerous time signature changes, I've been working on it a bit mysekf but I've got a very long way to go. This dude looks almost bored playing it.

Anyway, he's so good, someone on the Internet launched a crowdfunding campaign to get him a proper drumkit. The campaign didn't work, but Mike Portnoy, the original drummer from Dream Theater, received hundreds and hundreds of message about this man and decided to buy him a drumkit through his sponsors. This is really cool.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So as I was saying in the chat, a friend of mine gave me the best gift ever: a hurdy gurdy model.

Beautifully made, cleverly designed, sounds... kinda like a wasp with a bad cold and rusty joints.

I'm pretty sure you could get a better result with better aligned mechanisms, better greasing (the instructions have you wax some parts with a candlestick, but it's not terribly effective), and better strings. I have half a mind to replace the strings with horsehair strings, but this thing is more like a cool model to display on your shelf than a proper instrument.

I did put some cotton around the strings over the wheel, just like an actual hurdy gurdy. Reduces the buzzing, but also lowers the volume.

In any case, a really fun build, and a gorgeous object.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I guess the advantage is, it can be assembled without tools or glue?  What a squeak!  But repetition legitimizes, so by the end of your tune, it's just the beat.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah, you pretty much only need your hands, a bit of wax and a piece of sandpaper.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rad AF!

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

April Fools has gifted us one truly great thing amidst a sea of insufferability. Thank you Loop Daddy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

LOLoL THIS MY ALARM NOW.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Unlike most projects I've seen before in the storm photography world, this one is pure expression, an actual film telling an unspoken story, a vision of inspiration. The music, direction and image grading take us on a higher level. I've always wanted to bring to life my vision of storms but for the time being, this is as close as it gets.

Prelude is only a glimpse of what its author, a fellow french storm chaser, is undertaking: a feature-length film. I'm eager to see it come to fruition.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've seen gifs of this around for years but had no idea they were all from the same short. It's fantastic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca