Topic: just some horseshit, you know

cw: Traumadumping! And this is just the beginning of it! It hasn't even started!

(This is gonna take a while.)

------------------------------------------

Lives are not stories, and for fuck's sake, to start somewhere, I just think it's weird that we don't have a better medium to communicate our lives with. The story of our lives. Well, I'm going to tell you a story about why I disappeared from the universe for years on end, a story in which I am massively humbled by a multitude of events both within and also beyond my control; and, if may say so humbly, it is a whole thing. Hell of a story you're reading right now — humbly — so, don't worry about that; and anyway, I'm a very 'pro-story' person. Stories are luminous, magical items: disembodied worldviews, alive when you look into them; transported memories, still aglow with meaning, and somehow delivered in their vivid entireties via these goofy little symbols or sounds.

The story has a lot of pain in it. The story is almost entirely comprised of mistakes. The overall arc of the story is, as yet, a slide. The story contains a lot of really formative stuff, and a bit of trauma. It contains me being abusive. Also just being an asshole. Me learning; me being profoundly ashamed. It contains wells of shame so deep that they manifest as jerks and tics on a daily basis, rocking me to sleep, and, frankly, I'm writing and publishing this multi-part life-story update thing more because I have to [for my own sanity] than because I'm looking forward to the experience of doing so.

In any case, it's a wonder what we ask stories to contain.

As it stands, I'm isolated from most of the people I know, in the sense that I'm stuck here on the far side of a story too long for me to easily tell. (Also in the sense that I'm literally isolated from most of the people I know. There can be layers.) I don't need everyone to read my story; nothing like that. So I've got that, at least. I guess I just need to know that I've explained myself somewhere, in case the universe is keeping an eye on me (or maybe I am?) or whatever crazy shit you say when you're really doing things half for vanity and half for therapy, and you should really be keeping it to yourself, but that was the problem.

My story — (sigh) — is interwoven with many others, and I don't want to invade any part of their privacy. This will be written to meet that goal. (To be clear, may we all know that wantonly removing players from the story obviously alters the appearance of it significantly, and in some cases doing so would leave the impression that I behaved more favorably than I actually did; in those cases, I'll acknowledge as much of my shitstainery as possible, without going into the personal specifics of anybody else's life.)

Mostly, I want to apologize to the Teague of fifteen years ago.

Baby-idiot Teague.

I've really let him down.

In happier news, I now know that I'm autistic, and suspect I might be non-binary — and, in 'seriously, what's the actual best news from the story' news, it feels like I've learned so goddamned much about myself and the world in the past few years that it hurts not to have it typed down. You know? I want it out of my head.

...which: Neat. I know in advance that by telling this story, I will later feel a more-physiologically-lightweight sensation in my head. It will be associated with a relief. Just from having converted my experiences into a story, apparently. Just from telling my story.

Perhaps that's why we do it.

Perhaps it's why we shouldn't disappear off the face of the fucking Earth.

Lesson one, baby-idiot Teague: Stay on Earth.

We've got a lot to talk about.

------------------------------------------

re: replies and comments and off-topic chattery spawned by the contents of this selfsame thread: totally welcome; I'll be doin' these blog posts as well as normal replies in this thread.

(fwiw, all of this text is to be considered a first draft for an edited version later. Same deal as what happened with the Arduino article. I'm just serializing it to motivate myself. We'll see if it works.)

(fwiw, I feel like such an egomanaical doofus doing this thread. Sorry. Yikes. Thank you. I'm embarrassed. And I'm excited, after all those things. I'm looking forward to it, after all these disclaimers. Oh, wow, down here I finally got into it! I'm looking forward to it! In the disclaimers! Thanks, disclaimers!)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Re: just some horseshit, you know

I feel like being the first to respond here, I should tread lightly. I can already sense there is a solemn stillness about this particular place in the forum, one we've seldom encountered in the past, one akin to the learning of Mike's accident, or Invid's passing. One that transcends this forum, and binds us all together for our future, whatever it may be. This place should statistically have been dead for years but it goes on, never quite sure what it is and not caring one bit about it. It's just here. In a little more than a month I'll be celebrating my ten years of first registering here. I've marked it in my agenda, with a notification. Anyway, I'll be writing more about what this community keeps meaning to me on December 5th. This is not about me right now.

I'm writing all this because I need you to know that I love you deeply and while I would never have asked anything, because it's an unspoken contract of true friendship that one needn't explain themselves about disappearing for months on end, and saying hi whenever the stars have aligned enough for one to feel good enough about saying hi is sufficient, I for one feel humbled and privileged that you would tell us your story.

Whatever amount of detail is in it, whatever omission you feel you need to do to say what it is you need to say, it doesn't matter, because this is your story, and we, as friends, will be happy as long as you give us what you need to give us. Should it have been nothing more than your typical "hi, I'm still here", again, I would have been perfectly okay. But here comes something else. And there's nothing egomaniacal about it; it means you trust us enough to share it with us. I feel loved and cared about just from you doing this, even if it's a tool for your therapy. Especially if it's a tool for your therapy. That this place can be a tool for your therapy, even if it's one amongst others, has a special meaning, and I can't stress enough how strongly I feel that meaning.

I'm excited too.

--

And just think about it: you can totally have a kickass TEAGUE'S HORSESHIT banner at the top of the forum.

Last edited by Saniss (2021-10-24 19:51:11)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Thanks so much, man. I don't know what to say except thanks.

(Also, thanks for volunteering to post. I really don't want folks to feel like they can't chime in on the horseshit just cuz it's blog-seeming; it's not a blog, it's a thread.)

(anyway, I'mma keep posting in bursts, possibly multiple times per day)

--

EDIT: and, lol

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Where could so many parts of a life go," might be a good question open this.

It's honest. It's probably the better question for the beginning of this story, which will predominantly be about ways in which your protagonist makes their life worse. Or, perhaps, "How could so many things appear to be functional when they actually weren't?" That's honest, too, and it's one of the centerpience coincidences in my life. If I were looking for a contrived question to open the story with, that might be the very best one.

A writerly contrivance is not necessary, because my unwriterly life story provides a jumping-off question that's directly pertinent to our purposes. One hundred times a day (this is an honest approximation), I ask myself the same blistered thing. Call it The Big Question:

"What am I supposed to be doing?"

Sometimes, more rarely these days, it's asked existentially. Back around the time I had to move back in with my parents (over a year ago, at the age of 33), I was wracked with huge existential strains of that question for hours on end, every day, walking in circles, working the problem, re-asking the question. Answering The Big Question seemed extraordinarily urgent. Urgent like an emergency — or, rather, urgent like a disemergence. In those cases, the Bigness will be felt as bigness.

Usually, it's asked in such an innocent little mental voice that it breaks my heart. I'll be miserable, I'll have just "finished" "digesting" some new moment of shame or depression or panic about my future, and I'll look up — precisely as if there was something productive I was just doing; as if I'm snapping out of it — and I'll say, "what am I supposed be doing?" In these cases, the Bigness is experienced as a physical ache, from the pure priority of it.

A hundred times a day, in disordered, neurotic fashion. It needs answering.

An innocent voice has forgotten, for one last moment, that there is no answer.

Depending on which version of me doing the answering — for instance, if you asked a version of Teague who was not spiralling into said question at the moment — there would be all different sorts of answers I was capable of coming up with, big or small, creative or prosaic; alas, in the real world, the version of me doing the asking-part is always the same minimized Teague with watery eyes, fixing to dump an emotional fireplane onto pronounself.

(Just kidding. We can go with 'he' or 'they' [singular] or 'them' [plural].)

If The Sanest Version Of Myself were to answer The Big Question, you'd get an answer you'd recognize from the Teague you're most-familiar with, about the life said-Teague was leading. The Sanest Version Of Myself is basically a proxy for the version of me I knew, who existed... say, on my 30th birthday. As of September 5th, 2017, The Sanest Version Of Myself knows what it's supposed to be doing.

It just... can't.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Good to see you in the words again!

Dood. Existence.

I keep typing things here and then deleting them because they all seem like projection.

I'm here for this.

Carry on.

Last edited by Beeg (2021-10-23 19:55:35)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Ha!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We're all here to listen, Teague, and to let you know that what you've been through, we've all been through in some form or another. We all understand. An example? I moved back in with my parents after having lived alone post-college for some number of years. And then we had a house fire and I stayed with them even longer. The stigmata around that, I learned, is only a stigmata. I look back at that time fondly now, because I wouldn't be where I am today without it. And I imagine in 30+ years time, I'll really miss that time with my parents and wish it might have been a bit longer than it was. Being in your 30s isn't easy; it's like being in your 20s without the shine-on-life that cocoons you from the existential dread of "what am I doing" and the fragility of mortality of realizing those around you won't always be around no matter how hard you love them.

All that said, it sounds like you've made some really big self-discoveries lately. They're hard to make, and sometimes the consequences of them in the near term really screw with you and hurt. But in the long term, I think you'll be better off. If your PMs are open, I can go into a big more depth; it's something I don't really talk about publicly, but I am happy to share.

tl;dr: We're all here to support you, mate.

Last edited by Ben (2021-10-25 14:50:39)

I don't think I have anything constructive to add. But I'm here; I'm listening. Thank you for sharing when, as Saniss said, a simple "hi" would have sufficed.

I count myself fortunate that I'm managed to avoid (largely though not completely) trauma and drama; but I hope that that makes me a solid thing to hold onto for those around me who are Going Through It. Teague, it sounds like you most certainly Went Through It, but maybe are Still Going; whatever the case, I'm here, and I'm listening, and I hope that helps.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Wow, and I thought my past year was bad (Brother's going through a divorce and my dad was in the hospital for six months)... but as I say to anyone I consider a friend, online or or IRL... "This guy is walking down the street..."

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Sorry you've had a time of it, but it's really good to have you back.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

You're good here T. (((Teague)))
Stop trying to tell us, and tell us.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

This is your home, Teague.
Let loose. We're all ears.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2021-10-26 17:34:58)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What all they said. Spill the Teague. smile

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

On my 30th birthday, I commute to an unmarked building in Santa Monica where the space shuttle from Armageddon hangs in the kitchen. When I glance up to assess it, the backdrop is a (large) screen-used Jolly Roger flag hanging in the rafters; this is from the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

Mr. Bruckheimer's not here yet.

It's a Tuesday. I'm the first person at his studio in the morning.

(Well, second. The property manager has to let me in. I'm a freelancer.)

I'm working for one of my favorite supervisors ever, and — ultimately, because my supervisor is cool — I'm operating out of Editorial for the feature I'm working on. This is incredibly odd. I'm a VFX artist, and typically a rather lowly one; I'm doing my normal job, while sharing space and meetings with the director, the editor, the VFX editor... and in this case, the executive producer, whose studio served as our home base.

At work, I work hard.

At home, my mind is elsewhere.

In recent years, having surpassed whatever career goals I'd ever envisioned in the first place (beyond working, I had envisioned none), I've made the mistake of becoming untethered from them. It's supremely untrue to say 'early success came easily' — more true, perhaps, might be to say that success kinda came for free with the person I was being. This is not meant to sound impressive — it's all just... flukes. Everything about me is a lucky coincidence. I was at the center of things that were happening, and so it looked like I must have been involved.

What's worse is, this illusion even fooled me. From the inside, such an illusion works like narcissistic rocket-sauce: "To make things work, one must merely already be worthy and then show up." It's a dumb heuristic, and nobody thinks they're really even thinking it — they're eschewing it — but, just like most heuristics, it never gets disproven until it's too late.

The magic was not in you. The magic was in the world. You were in the world.

Turns out, magic is transactional.

In this case, by magic, I mean 'success.'

That feels right.

• • •

And Drew's like "stop telling us you're gonna tell us and just tell us."

(Rightly.) Yeah. Sorry. I'm not being elliptical intentionally, it's just... there's a lot of themes and throughlines that all need setting up, because they're all involved, and they all come from different points in my life. Some big stories have multiple endings; this big story has no clear beginning. By the time the events are underway, the themes need to make sense; by the time the themes make sense, we're on introduction post forty-five. Yeah.

(This is gonna take a while. Heh.)

Broadly speaking, the point of this thread is to put into words the answer to the question "what the hell happened to Teague," because a large portion of why I've disappeared from... everything... is because I can't describe myself very well anymore, and (for one irrational reason or another), I feel like being describable is a pre-requisite for being a person. Which. Heh. No.

Ultimately, I'm stuck under the delusion that "who are you" is a question that requires an answer. I haven't been able to find it by myself, though I've spent a couple years trying to. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find it by writing these posts.

In the meantime, oh my god I know. I know. Elliptical. I know.

Most of the stuff we're breezing past at this point will be revisited.

• • •

There was also a freestanding rubber-band gatlin gun in the kitchen, but that's not from a movie.

See? Revisted. big_smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not entirely sure what new information that post gave us, but I really enjoyed reading it. What's that about?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

"Of course you're in love with her, she's an //actress.//"

That's the punchline of an anecdote told by one of my theater mentors. Cassie's tale dealt with a backstage crush that was predictably undone after the show's run. It's hard to pretend to be in love on stage because the off-stage emotions are a also performance to help not-degrade the on-stage performance. It's her job to appear desirable, she's good at it, so of course you fell in love with her. It's what she does: she is good at making people like her.
She has Charisma, in addition to whatever multitudinous other talents.
What she's not good at is actually loving others, or even herself, because it's always a performance, she doesn't know how to make it 'real.' As brother Maynard sings it: "Fuck these dysfunctional, insecure actresses."
Self-confidence and poise that motivates others to like or follow or respect you is psychically draining and often dishonest; masks that a talk-show shrink could expound upon.

Is that on-topic? IDK, but that's a somewhat polished thought that bubbled up while re-reading the posts in the thread thus far.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Which in turn reminded me of this, a tangent from a tangent that may, because geometry or... something, lead us back somewhere almost but not quite relevant.

"Backstage here, you can just relax and be yourself."

"But that, you see, my dear Kermit, would be altogether impossible. I could never be myself."

"Never yourself?"

"No. You see, there is no me. I do not exist."

--Kermit the Frog and Peter Sellers

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

This tangent has ruled. (EDIT: Thus far?)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There was a good while there where I thought that in order to "follow the will of God" (we can unpack THAT idea some other time) I should just do literally whatever I wanted to do at the moment... since that was obviously The Plan... and because I had done it, it had to have been The Plan.

It was a weird headspace to be in and I somehow I survived in it for, like, 6 or 7 years there.  I was basically untethered from any life goals of my own.  Sounds like a cool story where I repair a motorcycle and become Interesting, but was mostly just a lot of getting super wasted, blowing off commitments, chasing Get Interesting Quick schemes, and just in general trying to avoid responsibility for... anything?

Not conflating our backgrounds, just to say that, since that period began to wrap up I've been more than little obsessed with figuring how the hell I ended up there, and what I'm supposed to do with all the bizarre skills, habits, and literal stuff I picked up along the way.

Pulling my head out has been... Weird.

I've gotten better at understanding a pointless universe from a rational frame, but the Other one keeps whispering, "but what if it turns out that's not good enough?" and "what if the next time you wonder what's next there's just nothing left?"

And my brain is like, "ooooh! Better worry about that for the rest of the day and every day after that."

Point being, I also (accidentally) FORMAT C’d my life goals and have been reading man pages for days trying to rebuild the main boot record…

Last edited by Beeg (2021-10-27 23:03:48)

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

See, this guy gets it.

Thanks for writing that, that was really lovely.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now you. You do the thing.

EDIT: I have a pre-socialmedia parasocial relationship with… er, all y’all mostly.

@Teague, you keep bouncing high enough on the RL trampoline of InternetPeopleWhoBecameReal in my life to make that relationship REALLY CONFUSING.

#notyourfault #notyouitsme #IsItWeirdToRunAFanSiteForYourLife #definitelynotforgetiasked

Last edited by Beeg (2021-10-28 00:15:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HELLO-O-o-o... ECHO-O-o-o.... I'm very much just throwing my voice into the echo chamber of what others have said, though, not as eloquently.  Hello.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Seems you can't even get through describing your own inner turmoil without other folks jumping in to share theirs. Kids these days with their emotional vulnerability and openness to reflection...

The intent here not being to detract or less your experience, but to show that you're not alone, and that we listen and understand.

__

I failed initial officer training last year, due to a number of reasons (well sure, it was *last year*, everything then had a number of reasons), but the one with the largest lasting impact on me was that I wasn't sure if it was actually a goal I wanted to achieve.

'Success' would mean commitment to a role that I didn't think I'd excel in, and 'failure' would mean potentially finding somewhere I would fit better. It's hard to be motivated to 'succeed' under that mindset. Sure, I had the qualifications and experience necessary, but my passions lay elsewhere.

I was given a second chance, and passed on the second go around, but the doubts from that first failure still linger. It's probably at least once a month where I think 'Why am I trying so hard to do this if I think I'd be better off elsewhere?'

That being said, it's probably more often that I think either 'it was worth it', or less optimistically 'while not perfect, this is the best achievable outcome'.

To put it into other words, just because there are some days where I have an answer to give to the little voice saying "What am I supposed to be doing?", doesn't mean that it stops asking.

__

From the description you've given us so far, Teague, it seems like you're looking back on things from a place of acceptance - of looking at the aftermath of the storm rather than holding the hatches shut against it. Though I may just be some kid who liked your podcast a decade ago and should rightly hold no importance to your mental wellbeing, I still want to say that I'm glad you're able to put these feelings into words in a way that's causing good and not harm.

Take your time, write what you need to, write what helps you. If you get a few posts in and decide that it's better for this experience not to be recorded, well, you can always delete the thread

Kia kaha

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) Oh hell yeah. This is the inner turmoil thread now. Hell yeah. All in!

2) I was taken aback when you said you ailed the first round; I was briefly worried you must have gone off and done something else. Super cool that you kept at it. Feather in the ol' cap.

3) Man, thanks.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Only interrupting or contributing to the flow to mention that this January, on the eve of my 43rd birthday (!!!) I too was diagnosed as Autistic.

Whatever cold comfort you can take, take this: going through this process of understanding ourselves in this way  requires courage at any age, and you can take pride in knowing that it's still relatively early in your life that you are on this path of self discovery/acceptance/admiration/forgiveness.

Carry on.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down