Topic: Bourbon (and other whiskeys)

So, very recently (within nine or so months) I've gotten into bourbon, due to a friend really enjoying it and then taking the time to teach me the nuances. Are there any other bourbon drinkers on the forum? Currently, I've got a lovely bar filled with:
-Buffalo Trace
-Buffalo Trace (Knightly Spirits Barrel Select)
-Eagle Rare
-W.L. Weller Special Reserve
-Elijah Craig
-Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C918 batch
-Litchfield Distillery Cask Strength
-Litchfield Distillery Double Barreled (10 year)
-Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

The basic Elijah Craig is my daily drinker, with the Eagle Rare, Weller, and Litchfields reserved for special occasions. I have to be in the mood for the Woodford, as it's a very bitter finish, almost like coffee. The Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is one of my favorite pours, and the C918 batch clocked in at a staggering 131.4 proof or thereabout. It's a fantastic bourbon to drink neat, even with the heat from the high proof. It almost tastes spicy, but has incredible caramel notes. I also have a couple of ryes: Sazarac Rye (once again, Buffalo Trace Distillery), and just got a bottle of Whistlepig Piggyback 6-year.

Last edited by Ben (2019-06-28 13:32:55)

Re: Bourbon (and other whiskeys)

Before I quit drinking, I'd usually opt for Makers Mark. This represents 100% of my whiskey knowledge.

(Oh, and I tried Laphroaig at some point. I didn't dislike it... but, it kinda tasted like the inside of a barbecue.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Went to Scotland earlier this year and toured some distilleries. Best part of the tour was absolutely the hippie tour guide, but the distilleries were cool too. 

I had always assumed that "years" of scotch were like wine vintages, and that if you bought a Glen Goyne 15 in 2015 it would taste different to a bottle of Glen Goyne 15 you bought in 1990, and also, if you had bought both then opened both at the same time and sampled them they would not only taste different, but the 25 year old bottle from 1990 would taste "older".

That's apparently wrong, and those should both taste the same.  The years refer to the oldest stuff in the batch, but they customize each batch to taste the same, even if that means changing the blend ratios to achieve uniformity across time.

Anyway, learned something new. Also learned I don't like peated or smoked whiskey.  I thought it would be hard to decide, peat no peat, maybe I like it??... NOPE.

Ever tried Mellow Corn?

Last edited by Beeg (2019-06-30 19:36:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This conversation is way over my head. I'm a gin drinker. Well was. No mind. Fire ball is yummy. That's my, sad to say, only real Whiskey taste.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bgii2000 wrote:

Ever tried Mellow Corn?

Can't say I have, though I do keep a bottle of Climax Moonshine in the freezer. I do live in Florida, after all!

I've only tried straight scotch once, and like you, don't like that peaty flavor. However, I did stumble upon High West's Campfire when I was trying to order a glass of Blanton's (they were out), which is a bourbon, rye, and scotch mix. Very, very interesting drink... the smokiness of the scotch is mellowed out by the sweetness of the rye. I would recommend a bottle if you can find it on sale.

I'm at that stage where whenever I'm offered a glass of good whiskey, I'll never decline, but at the same time don't really feel like I'll enjoy it. I can have a good time with very smoked ones, and probably peaty ones though I'm not quite sure I identify what it refers to exactly.

I'm naturally curious to try things so we'll see where whiskey leads me. Right now I'm finding I have a taste for very good amber rums, but other than that red wine remains my favourite drink when it comes to looking for subtle, complex flavours (did I mention I'm french?)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've never gotten the taste for whiskey. Navy rum, yes. Gin absolutely yes.I default to red wine at the best of times - since I really shouldn't drink carbonated Gin. Godamn you stoma.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After malting (sprouting the grain you're using by getting it wet) you stop the seed germination process by drying them all out.  If you use a fire to dry out the grain the smoke from that fire gets into the taste.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

<---Prefers Mezcal, with or without the worm.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regan wrote:

carbonated Gin

what what whattttt

https://i.imgur.com/WZPlD3Q.png

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love a good bourbon.

https://www.shemazing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/bic-bourb.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey look! Cookies!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, grabbed a couple new bottles recently. Sourced myself a 1.75L of Eagle Rare, which is fantastic. I also found a bottle of Whistlepig that was cheaper than $80, called Piggyback. I'm not a huge fan of rye, but it's quite good. It's a hot rye, though... punch of alcohol and some good fire. It's a nice drink.

Found some new stuff: Kirkland (yes, the Costco brand) makes an incredibly smooth Bottled-in-Bond bourbon that's $25/1L. It's as smooth as Blanton's, IMO, and I tasted them back to back. The flavor profile is completely different, but if you're okay with that, it's an absolute steal of a bottle.

25?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

$25

For bourbon, I tend to stick with Old Granddad bottled-in-bond. It’s a little rough, but I like it that way.

For Rye, my true love, I actually really like Wild Turkey’s offering and Bone Snapper.

For scotch, Laphroaig if I want to live that peat life. The Macallan if I want it casual.

Yes, I am seeing the basicness now that I’ve typed all that out.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got into Whisky(scotch) this year, and so far, it's Single Malt all the way. currently my favorite is Macallan 12 Year Double cask. So tasty I could probably identify the exact tree the casket came from by licking the tree.

Also, got myself a Glenfiddich Reserve cask. Loving it on the rocks!

Last edited by Tomahawk (2022-02-24 19:34:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down