Re: Zangrethor Digital

So between work being absolutely crazy for the past 2 months with Convocation season and me hitting a bit of a motivation block, progress kinda stalled out on the scene I was working on for a bit, and I basically made it my goal for my week off to bulldoze through as much of it as I could and get to the next stage of things and just get this shit moving.

So this is the first time I've actually been able to put the Daffokill into the actual environment and see what it all looks like together, and gaddamn I'm so happy right now. Still some tweaks to make, and the compositing is still just a test version, but it's getting closer to the look I want.

https://i.imgur.com/zo3B30u.png

Bigger

Basically me:

https://i.imgur.com/GIx5i0C.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So I've been all-in on getting shots through the pipeline for this scene, and I finally got my first one fully ready to go into compositing, so I did a rough comp on it that sort of got out of hand, so anyways I'm pretty that file is just gonna be my actual comp now oops. A few things I want to clean on the actual for real, real comp, but this is the first real shot of the scene that's 100% put together with all the layers, and it's kinda surreal to see. So you know, big landmark, figured I'd share for the non-social-media folks.

And I am a very very happy man fwiw, it's looking almost exactly like I was aiming for, which is also kinda surreal.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Wow man, this is really great, I love it. So much life in 2 seconds. Can't wait to see more.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Wow, I could watch it dozens of times and see more things I love, I bet! Love it!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Thanks guys, it's been a long time coming without really being sure it was going to work, so it's good to know other people than me actually think it looks good tongue Lots more to come, I'm pretty much in the phase of having everything built, so it's just running the shots through animation and rendering then I can get everything comped and put this thing to bed. Lots to go, but this was a big milestone.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Comp is really solid, great cinematography.

I just noticed two pulsating glowing Avatar thingies exactly in sync, the one at the top left corner and the one at the bottom right. No idea what these are so I may be talking out of my ass and they're supposed to be in sync, but just in case, thought I should say it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks man, once I actually start having to comp in the plate of the actress it gets a bit sketchier so I might have to get you guys to take a look at it when I get there, but trying to really level up the composition & cinematography was one of my big focal points when I decided to re-do this scene, so super happy that's coming through.

And yeah, for [insert complicated world building reasons here] they're not strictly /meant/ to be in unision, but I'm not mad if they are tongue Thanks for the call out though, always down for more specific feedback from you guys btw. The one-two whammy of 'moving up here' and 'the pandemic', killed off pretty much all of my irl sources of talking about movie stuff with other people who do this.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

2021 was one of those years where I feel like I finally unlocked the next level of both my art and how I relate to my art, and where I want to be going and doing and all that jazz. So I thought it might be fun/interesting to do a little shot evolution comparison through the years.

https://i.imgur.com/RAwpZxC.jpg

(Side note: Between the two 2018's is when Teague did his notes pass and suggestions random recording thing he does and somehow managed to unlock the mental block in my brain and I very literally had that "all my instincts suddenly flood back into place and I feel like I've regained my power" moments, and remembered how VFX work after not touching it for like 5 years. So if nothing else, we can all blame Teague for where I am now...thank? Maybe thank.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

2021 was one of those years where I feel like I finally unlocked the next level of both my art and how I relate to my art, and where I want to be going and doing and all that jazz. So I thought it might be fun/interesting to do a little shot evolution comparison through the years.

https://i.imgur.com/RAwpZxC.jpg

(Side note: Between the two 2018's is when Teague did his notes pass and suggestions random recording thing he does and somehow managed to unlock the mental block in my brain and I very literally had that "all my instincts suddenly flood back into place and I feel like I've regained my power" moments, and remembered how VFX work after not touching it for like 5 years. So if nothing else, we can all blame Teague for where I am now...thank? Maybe thank.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

That newest render looks so badass. Infinitely better, much cooler.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Infinitely better, much cooler.

A-fukin-greed my friend. I'm so ridiculously happy with how this matte extension turned out.

And now In Living Motion whynot:

(Still some work to do, I haven't even touched the roto on her since 2018 so there's something kinda funky going on there I think)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Been working on learning Blender's new geometry nodes system with a spooky procedural tree system for one of the shots in Innervate that needs a buuuuuuunch of these.

Feed in some rough line geometry to guide the basic shape of the trunks and main limbs, and GeoNodes does the rest.

https://i.imgur.com/QpSvqJi.png

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I finally just got everything rendered for my rework of one of the scenes in innervate (which was an adventure and a half hooooboy) so I'm starting to do final comps on all of them and I just finished this one, and iunno, I'm super proud of it, but it's getting close to the point of final final frames that I feel kinda weird sharing it super publicly unlike my wip journal type stuff I usually do. Is that weird? That feels like it might be weird...

...hey look, those trees I posted about!

(also, always down for comments/notes if you see something)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Fuckin' looks real. Outstanding comp. Hell yeah.

The lighting, the hazy atmosphere, everything. Super cool.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

AH, thanks T! Missed that!

__

Been updating my Artstation portfolio with some work from the day job:

NLC Logo Reveal
Christmas
New Years
Valentine's
First Day Of Spring