Topic: Matrix Resurections - 1 word: "Bullet Time"

Wow.  This was good.  I'm on my first first watch.  The one where I pause and rewind every other scene.  Some of the dialog is rapidfire intense.  Gonna do a straight through watch now I know what's up.  The cast sure is having a good time.  It didn't quite give me what I wanted, but definitely in a good way.  The archival footage is disorienting and confusing, but also in a good way.

The particular intro/framestory/whaaaatever you call the 'beginning' in a movie like this that Lana Wachowski landed on here was, um... scary in the way that it mirrors some events in my life recently, so gonna hafta sort that out sometime too...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Matrix Resurections - 1 word: "Bullet Time"

I can't see NPH saying 'nemesis' and not think of Captiain Hammer.

The IO?! What ever the real world bits were dull but that was a hang up of mine on the other sequals.

I didn't mind it as a watch once and forget it movie. People head-firsting out of sky scrpaers and face planting made me giggle, but yeah, that's what you would have them do.

The fight scenes were forgettable. The dialog, iffy. The plot, meh. Got a little bored at points and felt the movies lengh though I still enjoyed it. Not a classic though.

Overall, a bit of weird film, tonally, but would reccomend if they slimmed it down.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw. Well I thoroughly enjoyed it. Watched it twice. Subtitles on the second watch was helpful. I thought it tried to do a very difficult thing, and did so very well.

I think my ranking right now goes:

The Matrix
The Matrix Resurrections
The Matrix Revolutions
The Matrix Reloaded

But the first two sequels trade places a lot. I think Reloaded is the more watchable movie, but the end of Revolutions wins in terms of 'cinema' sequences. iunno.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the main problem I have with it is they've named it another Matrix colon 'R' word. I ain't ever gonna remember which one is which.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fun fact: A million years ago, I wrote a short film for Kyle to star in called 'The Mystrix.' (It was about Myspace. That's the era.) Before we shot it [we never shot it], I had already written a sequel called 'The Mystrix: Refrigerated."

I have no way of getting my hands on those documents, I don't think. Lost to time.

Tears in rain over here.

Anyway.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I liked it a whole lot. The movie felt very much informed by The Force Awakens in terms of how to do a sequel after a large gap and repeat some of the iconography from the original, without falling into the same traps as TFA by just retreading the same ground. Every callback in Resurrections felt like it was included to make commentary on it, rather than just to go ‘hey, recognise this?’.

I’ve seen some particularly heated negative opinions of the movie online, and it seems to be that if you went in hoping for an action movie, Resurrections ain’t it, and that negativity unjustly spills over onto other things. This is a movie that’s here to offer some thoughts and opinions on The Matrix as a franchise, a cultural touchpoint, and as a story, as well as to continue that story without backtracking or invalidating things that came before, and it does both of those things well. It also has some action scenes, which are fine but not outstanding, but they don’t feel like the point of the movie.

Also, on Teague’s note, I wrote a script for a stage show parody called The Matrices, which had some fairly decent jokes and observations. I *can* find the document if anyone’s interested.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regan wrote:

I think the main problem I have with it is they've named it another Matrix colon 'R' word. I ain't ever gonna remember which one is which.

Re: the title (see what I did there), they changed the format slightly. With the others, the wordplay was invoking both the robot and war parts of the robot war setting; Reloaded referring to either loading software, or a gun; Revolutions being both Revolutions Per Second, as in a mechanical system, or the revolution against the machines that the humans are aiming for.

With Resurrections, the wordplay is referring to the resurrections of Neo and Trinity (and sort-of-not-really Morpheus and Smith) as well as the resurrection of the franchise itself. A shift from in-universe reference to meta reference. On brand with the rest of the movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also the code streams backwards (upward instead of 'raining' down)

Thumbs up Thumbs down