Topic: The Walking Dead

They got me; anyone else hooked?

Re: The Walking Dead

I have it recorded for later in the day. I've heard surprisingly great things about it, so suffice to say that I'm pretty stoked.

EDIT: But not Trey Stoked. The last time that happened, five people had to be sent to the emergency room.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2010-11-02 16:33:12)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm hooked too. Loved it.

And I just started reading the comic a few days ago. It's the only comic I've ever read where I haven't been able to 'put it down'. I downloaded all the issues and am just reading them one after another late into the night. Each issue ends in such a way that I simply must find out what happens next. So rarely do comic stories, or any stories really, so frequently and geniunely surprise me.

The only thing I find difficult about the TV series is the lead actor Andrew Lincoln, thanks to my familiarity with him from an old Brit TV series called Teachers that I used to watch way back when. I'm finding it hard to take him seriously. He did well in the pilot, don't get me wrong, I just have to overcome that hurdle before truly accepting him as an American cop.

I found this hard with Hugh Laurie as Dr House too.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Weebs is working on this one. Haven't seen it yet.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's one of those comics where I picked up the first issue, said "Hey, this is pretty good", then forgot about it until I later noticed it it had 20+ issues under its belt smile I've watched some of the pilot so far and will record the others, but we'll see if it holds my attention. Just because something's great doesn't mean I'm in the mood for that type of story at the moment.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am so fucking sick of zombies.

But I enjoyed the premiere enough anyway to tune in next week.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Michael Rooker is in this, right?  How big is his role?  I shot a movie that he was in earlier in the year, and he was talking about going down to Louisiana to work on it.  How's he doin' in it?

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haven't seen Rooker yet.  As of this post only the pilot has aired and he's not in that episode.  I have every reason to believe he'll bring it when he does show up though.

I have to say I was underwhelmed. With all the buzz around this I think maybe the bar was set too high. I found it overly melodramatic, slowly paced without being gripping, characters spouted exposition ad nauseum, the lead character is a bit dim witted, and the zombies seem to get bored of their prey rather easily.

That said, the gore effects are amazing, but seem to feature far too prominently as if to compensate for the lack of much else. I understand the comic is known to be quite gruesome, so gore is a selling point to appeal to those fans. Slow moving soap opera plus gore effects just doesn't add up to the entertainment level we expected. I prefer Zombieland over this and that's saying something.

Can't say I'm hooked. It's not likely we'll be watching episode 2.

Last edited by insideoutcast (2010-11-06 02:35:26)

Where Geek Meets Goth

Finally got around to watching this one and I gotta say. I likey, I likey a lot. They got me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I enjoyed the second episode a lot less than the pilot, but I'm not canceling my season pass or anything just yet. I'm in wait-and-see mode with this one. If we don't get some actual character stuff next week, I'll be a bit let down.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, second episode didn't grab me the way the first one did either, but I'm willing to give them some latitude.

I gotta say, the third episode was six to seven hundred thousand times better than the second.

Though they did something weird that I didn't care for. In the scene where the two characters were in the tent together, they had two setups. There was a fixed camera shooting from one angle (on sticks, presumably), and a handheld camera covering another angle. They cut between them, and I found it distracting.

But story-wise? Yeah. Much, much better than last week.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally saw the first 3 eps and liked how they took their time in the pilot. Nice looking show. Man, the main dude's wife hooked up with his partner quick! She's got needs, i guess.

I went 'yuck' when they left the asshole handcuffed on the roof, if you're gonna do stuff like that you might as well join the zombies cause it's the end of civilisation (damn you, US english spell-checker!). But at least it became a thing and they went back for him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, am I the only asshole who completely missed the fact that she was the sheriff's wife?  I'm fine with it, it works, but I'm going to have to go back and watch the pilot again to see where I missed the setup.

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2010-11-21 13:44:03)

I believe it was at the end of the pilot episode. The action cut to the campers, then cut back to the protagonist in his car. He had a picture of his wife and son rubber-banded to the sun visor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

Ok, am I the only asshole who completely missed the fact that she was the sheriff's husband?

I didn't see that coming either. She's actually a he?

That's a man baby!

Last edited by redxavier (2010-11-20 17:26:54)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doh! Wasn't supposed to let that slip...

redxavier wrote:
Matt Vayda wrote:

Ok, am I the only asshole who completely missed the fact that she was the sheriff's husband?

I didn't see that coming either. She's actually a he?

That's a man baby!

And yet...I don't think that would stop me.

If it ever happened to come up...

Why are you all looking at me funny?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dude. *in the voice of Jerry Seinfeld* Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well...I quite enjoyed that. (Re: latest episode, not the...other thing...)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Me too, back on track with the comic. I think I heard somewhere that Kirkman wrote this episode and I can certainly believe that, it has his style.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hard to believe there's only one episode left in the season.  Loved the use of John Murphy's Sunshine score in the last episode.

Really? I hated that, because I'm damn sick of it. It's a neat piece, but this is the third time I've heard it used like that. It was so obvious that it just popped me right out of the scene.

The problem I have with zombie stories is always the ending. It always seems to boil down either to "everybody's dead" or "they think they're safe but … here we go again!"

I want to see some kind of victory over the zombies that doesn't involve a miraculous "cure" for the plague or whatever. I have no idea what shape that kind of ending would take. I also just might be sick to death of the turn-of-the-century nihilism that's dominated the past decade.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recognised the tune right away, but I was a bit confused and convinced myself that it just sounded similar. I was confused because I didn't think that kind of borrowing happened a lot (outside of trailers and temp tracks).

Thumbs up Thumbs down