I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Top Five thread.

Thirty seven!?!

In a row?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This thread has CRASHED INTO THE MOUNTAIN! smile
http://counterforce.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/screen-shot-2009-11-01-at-1-30-10-am.png?w=500&h=300

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:
ShadowDuelist wrote:

Also, are we just doing the top 5 of whatever we want now?

I blame insideoutcast.

Yes! Blame me. Crucify me. I am Goth Jesus.

Imagine how weird it would be if Jesus wore a crucifix.

Top 5 ghost movies.
1) The Legend of Hell House
2) The Shining
3) The Haunting (original)
4) The Sixth Sense
5) The Changeling

Might as well be the top 5 movies starting with "the"

Where Geek Meets Goth

Stop the madness!

Top five Monty Python characters, please.

Answerer please proceed to name the next top 5 challenge.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I believe Beldar left off with top 5 audiobooks, so for the sake of completion, here we go.

1. Harry Potter, Years 1-7.  (I have the Jim Dale (US) versions, but I hear good things about the Stephen Fry (UK) versions.)

2. Youth and Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad, read by Brian Cox. (Two stories for the price of one!  The character Marlow "recites" both tales.  If you like sea stories you'll like Youth, and Heart of Darkness is a must read anyway. Audible)

3. Stardust, by Niel Gaiman, read by the author. (Need I say more? Audible, go.)

4. Sphere, by Michael Crichton, read by Edward Asner. (This was my first audiobook.  I don't listen to it as much anymore, but that's only because my digital copy was recorded off my tape deck, only moderately successfully.  Ed Asner has a wonderful reading voice, great for long trips.  Also available on Audible.)

5. Riptide, by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston, read by David Birney (abridged cassette version) (The version currently available on Audible was re-recorded by Scott Brick, and is unabridged.  Facinating story based on accounts of the "Money Pit" of Oak Island.  For more info, set aside some time to check out the author's page.)

Zarban wrote:

Top five Monty Python characters, please.

Characters? Not cast members? Eeks.

1) Sir Galahad
2) Bicycle Repair Man
3) The Dentist/Spy
4) The Bishop
5) Brian

Next, Top 5 war cries.

Where Geek Meets Goth

Matt Vayda wrote:

1. Harry Potter, Years 1-7.  (I have the Jim Dale (US) versions, but I hear good things about the Stephen Fry (UK) versions.)

I listened to the Jim Dale Versions growing up and I love them dearly, but I'm currently halfway through Order Of The Pheonix with Stephen Fry and he too is awesome, although I do take issue with a few of his pronunciations and accents (Tonks still gives me shudders) but on the whole...he's freakin Stephen Fry man!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I haven't heard either, but I was just about to say that I can't imagine anyone even bothering with any other version if there is one available read by Stephen Fry. The man is godlike in voice and skill.

Then I went to YouTube and looked up this Jim Dale fellow and watched him read a passage from Winnie the Pooh.

Jesus. I've got tears. His voice is like a fuzzy blanket on a chilly night at grandma's in the rarely-used upstairs bedroom with wood floors.

/man crush

I picked up the Jim Dale readings of Harry Potter to re-read the books and I hated them. His cadence is all wrong and Hermione's voice (she always says Harry's name "Hauwwweeeeee" like she's about to cry and have a stroke simultaneously) makes me cringe and want to smack her around.

I was despairing of having proper audiobooks until I was informed that Stephen Fry did versions in the UK, and having gotten those all is now well. Hermione sounds like she should, his Umbridge is amazing, and as a bonus his Hagrid sounds exactly like Robbie Coltrane's.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

I believe Beldar left off with top 5 audiobooks, so for the sake of completion, here we go.

1.The Dark Tower books 1-3, written and read by Stephen King. Damned hard to find now, as they've been replaced by new versions read by someone else, but much better imho so try and find the old cassettes. Actually, anything read by King is good (such as Bag of Bones)

2. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. Actually, all three books in the series plus the two short companion stories. All the dialog is done by actors, with the author reading the narration. Works incredibly well, and while I may not have ended up liking the actual books if I had started with them I love these.

3. John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The narrator is a guy with a great southern accent, who really captures the character.

4. Dragonsinger and Dragonsong by Ann McCaffrey, narrated by Sally Darling. I can just listen to these over and over, especially Dragonsinger. The first few Dragonrider books are also fun, with the same male narrator doing the original trilogy and Dragonsdawn.

5. Dealing with Dragons (and 3 other books) by Patricia Wrede. This mocking of fairytale conventions is done in the same style as The Golden Compass, with a narrator and actors. Lots of fun.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I prefer audiobooks that are just read straight, with no bells & whistles. John Lee (The Terror, Drood, etc) and, damn i can't find his name, the guy who read Hyperion 1 & 2 are my favorites. A lot of these older ones were books on tape, meant to be checked out of libraries. To me they're the best ones, then there's audible, and librivox at the bottom (which is understandable).

I shouldn't like William Gibson reading Neuromancer because it's slightly abridged, has music (by U2 of all people) and sound effects, but i love it.

I've recently discovered Graphic Audio. It's 'radio drama' and a little hit and miss, but i have laughed my guts out a few times. I'm tempted to put together a quick mp3 of the funny bits, but i'm too lazy. There's also the Decoder Ring Theatre podcast.

And Star Wars: The Original Radio Drama, that i ordered directly from Lucasfilm many moons ago. It's worth checking out if you've never heard it. They also did Empire and Jedi but aren't quite as good.

Last edited by beldar (2010-11-23 23:17:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Star Wars the Radio Show came out in the 70's, and has the advantage of not just taking stuff from the original cuts of the movie and the book but not having to worry about any of the sequels. It came at a time when radio dramas made a brief comeback (This, Lord of the Rings, and Hitchhikers Guide made NPR briefly a cool thing to listen to for geeks). Empire and Jedi were made post Special Edition, iirc, and not for radio broadcast. I put them in the same category as the newer Hitchhiker shows adapting the later books, meaning I ignore them smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can speak to the Star Wars Radio Dramas, as I am also an avid fan, and listen to them often.  Star Wars was broadcast on NPR in '81, and Empire in '83.  Jedi was intended to be broadcast as well, but NPR had some money trouble; it was recorded by Highbridge Audio and released in '96.  So, all were available prior to the Special Editions, and yes, they are indeed considered canon.

They're all quite good, but do get progressively shorter, and stick closer to the narrative of the films as they go.  Empire is probably my favorite.

I've never heard the EMPIRE one.  A buddy of mine had STAR WARS, and then I got JEDI when it came out.  On cassette, I believe.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

insideoutcast wrote:

Next, Top 5 war cries.

1. Geronimo! (Geronimo, US paratroopers)

2. Yeeeehah! (US cowboys)

3. Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba! (Speedy Gonzales)

4. Charge! (US/UK cavalry)

5. Banzai! (samurai/Japanese soldiers)

Honorable mention: Leeroooooy Jenkins! (Leeroy Jenkins)

Next: Top 5 physical injuries that are kind of cool to get

Last edited by Zarban (2010-12-02 02:28:59)

1.) Large facial scar. John Connor and Seal have both taught us that in equal measure.

2.) Broken leg. In elementary school, at least. The whole cast-signing deal makes you much more popular.

3.) Amputated arm. This is tragic, certainly, but you have a robot hand now. This will likely become cooler in the future.

4.) Shot in both kneecaps. Whatever happened, the story cannot possibly be uninteresting.

5.) Black eye. Old-fashioned and simple. And the storytelling possibilities are endless.

Next: Top 5 Ending Scenes from Major Movie Franchises

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a Lord of the Rings joke there, but I've got other things to do right now.

Top 5 Movies they'll never show on a plane flight:

5) Executive Decision ('96)
4) Passenger 57 ('92)
3) Cast Away (2000)
2) United 93 (2006)
1) Alive ('92)

Thumbs up Thumbs down