Somebody say something.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: So, uh.

I want an iPad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or did you mean something movie-related? Um. I want an iPad 'cause there's a Netflix app for to watch the movies.

Or did you mean something interesting? I got nothin', brother.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I also want an iPad. I think I'll wait until the next generation, though.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I said this to Teague earlier today.

When you can run Final Cut Pro on the iPad, I will sell a kidney to make that happen. I'll even sell one of mine, if I have to.

FCP doesn't seem like a good application for the iPad. I'd rather have FCP running on a touchscreen iMac.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I see the iPad as a pure luxury device, like a gold-plated gravy boat or a toothbrush handle carved out of a chunk of the True Cross. I see absolutely no practical application for it in my life, but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Okay, I can think of one practical application for it. I've been doing a consulting gig lately, and because it's very button-down-Dockers-make-these-your-primary-action-items, I've had to shuffle a lot of documents around. I've grown remarkably tired of printing crap out, showing it to managers in meetings, then seeing it go right into the shredder. If I had an iPad with Dropbox on it, I could just pass the iPad around to show people things, rather than wasting paper. Want a copy for yourself? Here, lemme email you the PDF.

But back in the real world, it'll be a pure toy. If I'm doing an editing or compositing job, say, I'd keep it propped up on the console to show me my email. Kick off a render? I'd grab the iPad and surf or check Twitter or what have you. Pure toy.

But a really, really cool toy. I want.

Anybody got $900 they're not using for anything? I'll give it a good home.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Went with Ryan and Cloe to play with one of these at Best Buy earlier.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9408/82274609.jpg

I am now convinced that Steve Jobs is...onto something. It's a great little device, especially for anyone who just wants to check their websites, keep up with email, and watch a TV show or two on long car rides or flights. (My mom.)

Dorkman also mentioned the notion of literally using it as a digital frame for picture albums (it just sits on the dock charging, with a slideshow screensaver) that you can also pick up and use for a sudoku game occasionally, or something. (My mom.)

Jobs wants our moms.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have this whole rant queued up in my brain titled "The era of personal computing is over." I'd type it up and paste it in here, but you guys would throw me off your forum for being a bore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm interested. Make a thread in OT. Tech, social economics and philosophy is sort of my thing. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down