Re: Suggest a movie!

lelied wrote:

You could also get through ST IV: The Voyage Home. It's the most accessible for non-fans, stable time loops and research failures aside.

Oh god, that movie is so dumb. I do not understand why people like it. The only thing good in it is Kirk saying "I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space."

My friends and I thought it was funny, but only because we were tired of Star Trek by the time it came out. It's pretty much its own Galaxy Quest.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

It's pretty much its own Galaxy Quest.

I think at that point they had all accepted that they weren't getting out of these roles in their careers. And they took it out on the fans.

I didn't say they had to be nice to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're right. And I would like to hear Brian-as-apologist. "But wait! This part is good!" "Not really, Brian."

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

People like ST IV because it's a) all about the characters and not space battles, and b) not really Star Trek. It's like when that band you like for being hard core does a ballad that gets massive radio play smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Oh god, that movie is so dumb. I do not understand why people like it.

You don't have to understand it, mate, it's called 'personal taste'. The world would be a dull and boring place if we all liked the same shite. big_smile

I think The Voyage Home is great. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I enjoy a lot of the movies. I even think The Search For Spock is under-rated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Oh god, that movie is so dumb. I do not understand why people like it. The only thing good in it is Kirk saying "I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space."

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/2/25-greatest-star-trek-movie-moments-05.jpg

Come on, who doesn't like Kirk and Spock knocking out the punk on the bus. If you want to talk bad that's #5 and Nemesis. But 4's pretty good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Trek IV is great but I never remember why...

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

beldar wrote:

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/2/25-greatest-star-trek-movie-moments-05.jpg

Interesting trivia! The punk on the bus was Kirk Thatcher, puppeteer/producer for the Muppets and creature technician for Star Wars and Gremlins. (I don't know why I know these things.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Indeed it is, he was an associate producer on ST IV, or something like that. A further interesting note is that Thatcher wrote and performed the punk song that is playing in the scene. It is called 'I Hate You' big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love the "I eschew you!" line in that song. It's so stupid and funny.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Who can forget 'hello computer' and 'Transparent aluminum?' The latter of these being particularly amusing to my British ears since it wasn't until I was about 10 that I figured out that he was talking about aluminium.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a silly movie. Its main goal is to make the audience laugh.

That doesn't make it a Star Trek movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure it does, they come in all flavours. This one's silly, TMP is super serious and 2009 is an action movie. They couldn't all be WoK clones. Well, a couple of WoK clones would've been nice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lelied wrote:

It's a silly movie. Its main goal is to make the audience laugh.

That doesn't make it a Star Trek movie.

How would you define a Star Trek movie? What sort of film is a Star Trek film supposed to be? If you look at the movies as extended episodes of the show,ST IV is like The Trouble With Tribbles. I can't fault the producers to want to make a more light-hearted film after WOK and SFS

The show had comedy episodes, you know smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2011-03-07 21:47:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd like to nominate 11 Harrowhouse. Remember Charles Grodin from Midnight Run? Here he's teamed up with a gorgeous Candice Bergen (it was 37yrs ago) in a good-natured heist movie. It's kind of an acquired taste, but DIF might like it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty Bench wrote:

How would you define a Star Trek movie?

The great mark of a Star Trek episode was a thinly-veiled moral, some sign of deep thought as a commentary on the current social scene. The episode Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (the halfblack, half-white faced dudes) was all about a relavent cultural issue. Star Trek VI (which DiF has already covered) is about the fall of Soviet Russia and racism.

Star Trek IV is about... not pushing humpback whales to extinction, or else an alien probe will punish us? Time travel? Spock learning to swear?

Even Enterprise has its meaningful plotlines. T'Pal with her Vulcan AIDS, etc.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lelied wrote:

Star Trek IV is about... not pushing humpback whales to extinction

It's an important subject and like I said, it was a 'comedy episode' which is why I give it leeway. Besides, ST V is about religion and it's shit, moan about that big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lelied wrote:

The great mark of a Star Trek episode was a thinly-veiled moral, some sign of deep thought as a commentary on the current social scene. The episode Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (the halfblack, half-white faced dudes) was all about a relavent cultural issue. Star Trek VI (which DiF has already covered) is about the fall of Soviet Russia and racism.

Star Trek IV is about... not pushing humpback whales to extinction, or else an alien probe will punish us?

Environmental conservation? Appreciating that we're not the only living things on the planet? Realizing that the damage we're doing to the planet could have long-term unforeseeable consequences?

Environmental conservation was an extremely significant aspect of the contemporary social scene, and one of its big slogans was, in fact, "Save the Whales." To make that the plot of the movie was doing exactly what Star Trek -- and science fiction in general -- does best.

Is it a little silly and on the nose? Sure. But if you're going to condemn it on those charges, while using as a counterexample the episode that made a racial allegory by literally painting actors' faces black-and-white, I'm going to be forced to call shenanigans.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans!"

I've mentioned before that maybe you guys could do some more historical or fantasy movies to balance the sci-fi, has Gladiator been talked about before?

Also, any plans for Speed and Red Dawn?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

beldar wrote:

Well, a couple of WoK clones would've been nice.

Star Trek: Nemesis was, at least in part, a deliberate attempt to clone WoK, and how well did that work out? The phrase "poop on a pencil" comes to mind.

My Bodyguard, from 1980: Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Joan Cusack, Martin Mull, Ruth Gordon. I saw this at age 11 with my younger sister as part of some double feature, which pissed my mom off when she discovered that was the second movie smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anybody mentioned Patton?  Wow, what a good movie!  I'm watching it on BluRay and it looks phenomenal.  All the practical shots hold up really well.

Great little scene during a battle, where Americans shoot down a German plane.  Instead of blowing up an expensive plane, they have it fly behind a hill and then have a big practical explosion.  Beautiful filmmaking.

Also, I don't know if anyone's suggested Saving Private Ryan. It kicked off the recent gritty WWII revival.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By recently I'm guessing you mean 12 years ago?

You should do the Japanese film "Ping Pong", because I enjoy the soundtrack / small vfx-ing here and there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sooo...two years this makes it.

Are we disbanding with the anniversary episode tradition already?

ZangrethorDigital.ca