Topic: Mulholland Drive

I do want to fuck David Lynch in the eyes.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Mulholland Drive

A sentiment that is clearly reciprocated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, well played.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*nods* This is why his eyeballs can regenerate.

Welcome to the forums, Anodreth. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Anodreth. smile

Thanks! Pretty cool place. big_smile

Never seen Mulholland Drive, but I really did enjoy Inland Empire after a couple viewings, I even enjoy Dune on occasion.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The itunes feed is busted. Twilight too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fixed, should start working shortly.

Also, good news everyone! Holden is making a script that updates the RSS feed for me, so I won't be breaking it anymore!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have only ever seen the lesbian scene of Mulholland Drive.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was fun to listen to the "how movies grow on you" part. That happens but i usually decide real quick what kind of movie i'm watching (my art or not art thing), separate from the story. Like when Kevin Costner drinks his own piss in Waterworld, in such an obvious 'look what i'm doing' way. It was going to be hard for the movie to win me back after that.

As i understand it the whole movie is her lying in bed worrying, because she's got nothing better to do cause she can't find work. The movie is her daydreams, until the end. She's more than just depressed she's got a mental illness thing happening. She came from a small town unprepared and the big city chewed her up.

Her daydreams start out super happy then get dark, because when you're really unhappy your mind just goes there. Reminds me of Al Williamson's beautiful and sad Out of Phase

Speaking of spitting out beer: Guinness tastes like diseased moose piss. Yuck! Sorry in advance for any offence. smile

Last edited by beldar (2011-03-07 23:02:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Drink a lot of diseased moose piss, do you? That's messed up. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, you know how it is. You're goin' along, drinking regular moose piss with your friends, and then BAM you get one that's diseased. And you go, "Gross! That tastes like Guinness!"

And then all your friends laugh at you for knowing what Guinness tastes like.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I will admit, Zarban. I laughed quite heartily.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

Drink a lot of diseased moose piss, do you?

Only on special occasions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I drink moose piss.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel like all this talk of moose piss has deftly encapsulated exactly what David Lynch was trying to convey with Mulholland Drive.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Full circle, lelied!

Also, moose piss is one of those "eye of the beholder" things, as it were. The cheap-but-tastes-surprisingly-great vs. expensive-and-bloody-disgusting champagne debate, for one. Or variations of liquor from different regions.

Consider yourselves lucky. At least Mulholland Drive has some semblance of logic to it. Not here. David Lynch's "Rabbits" is where logic goes to die.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That explains a lot about what goes on in David Lynch's head. It's not all that different from the schizophrenic hallucination simulator.

Last edited by Zarban (2011-03-12 00:49:15)

I don't trust a man that doesn't like Guinness.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can trust me not to drink your beer while you're in the men's room.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad you guys covered this movie.  solid discussion. 
The first time i tried watching the movie, it was super late and the dumpster scene scared the shit out of me.  I realized i probably wasn't ready for whatever this movie was....so i waited a few days and tried it again.
I love the weird, emotional glue this movie uses to tie scenes together.  granted, it's not a linear story, but the story isn't even really the point, imo.  it taps into that dream state where your questioning everything, but unsure how you got there.

Also, i feel like acid or at least some travels deep inside (and out of) your head makes a film like this easier to digest.  You're not instantly rejecting the logic (or lack there of) of the film, but more letting it wash over you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally actually got to this one. I had liked it the first time around and felt it was more accessible than Lynch's other personal-vision films. I like that the panel didn't try to tease it apart completely but kind just got the idea and let the rest wash over them. I think that's the way Lynch would like people to look at his films.

I actually liked Barton Fink more than this (also about people getting crushed by Hollywood) even tho I KNOW BF really doesn't have a coherent "solution", whereas MD does, and the deeper you go into it the more interesting it gets. The titles The Sylvia North Story and Gilda and even a painting that is prominent in a couple of shots have hidden meaning.

...And yes, Chris, you can be on the quotes page.

Lots of Australians in this movie - I can count at least four.

Salon has the best explanation for the movie I've read...

http://www.salon.com/2001/10/24/mulholl … _analysis/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down