Re: (Old Serenity Thread.)

Little late to this party, but I throw in with the no guest-ites. I most look forward to this commentary for your guys thoughts on the story and what did or didn't work for you. The only real inside person who's specific to talking about that would be Joss himself, and... actually, could you get him in? I'd totally listen to that commentary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's another point.  Just because you have insight into a project or genre or something doesn't mean you're a good Down In Fronter.

Eddie is a great example.  If DIF ever does the Karate Kid or Drunken Master or some shit I want Eddie there.  He has all the awesome kung fu insight be he's also very entertaining.  He fits the DIF mold- you listen to Eddie talk for two hours and he's immediately a new friend in your head. 

Trey's Abyss commentary wasn't awesome because he worked on the Abyss, it was awesome because he worked on the Abyss and he's a hilarious asshole.  I love you Trey, you know what I mean.

There's a certain amount of charisma required to DIF, and the core four have it in spades- as does Eddie, as does Ryan.  If you have someone with personal insight who fits in well with the team and brings more to the table than raw factoids about the project I could find with a little research, by all means bring them.  If you do The Wrestler without me I'll kill all of you.  But just be a little selective about who you let on the air, because I DIF for friends in my head, not to find out the dirty secrets of the Best Boy on Legally Blonde 3.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

Here's another point.  Just because you have insight into a project or genre or something doesn't mean you're a good Down In Fronter.

Eddie is a great example.  If DIF ever does the Karate Kid or Drunken Master or some shit I want Eddie there.  He has all the awesome kung fu insight be he's also very entertaining.  He fits the DIF mold- you listen to Eddie talk for two hours and he's immediately a new friend in your head. 

Trey's Abyss commentary wasn't awesome because he worked on the Abyss, it was awesome because he worked on the Abyss and he's a hilarious asshole.  I love you Trey, you know what I mean.

There's a certain amount of charisma required to DIF, and the core four have it in spades- as does Eddie, as does Ryan.  If you have someone with personal insight who fits in well with the team and brings more to the table than raw factoids about the project I could find with a little research, by all means bring them.  If you do The Wrestler without me I'll kill all of you.  But just be a little selective about who you let on the air, because I DIF for friends in my head, not to find out the dirty secrets of the Best Boy on Legally Blonde 3.

Wow, man.  Mighty kind of you.

And yes...Dorkman and I have long discussed doing Karate Kid and Crouching Tiger in the same session.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, hey Eddie.  Nice to internet meet you.

You're far and away my favorite fight choreographer to appear on DIF.  You've never talked shit about Randy Savage.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like Randy Savage.  His WM3 with Ricky Steamboat is one of my top 5 Pro Wrestling matches ever.  Nice to meet you to.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You guys are going to be retarded for each other.

*awaits Doty/Mattingly 2012 ticket*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

I like Randy Savage.  His WM3 with Ricky Steamboat is one of my top 5 Pro Wrestling matches ever.  Nice to meet you to.

That match is awesome, but I'd have to say my favorite Savage match was against Hogan at WM5.  I know the Steamboat match was much better on a technical level but the Hogan match had so much more emotional charge to it.

Also, it is REMARKABLY refreshing to hear a shootfighter who has nice things to say about pro wrestling- don't hear a lot of that these days.  I marked out when you mentioned Judo Gene LeBell, for the record.

Also, if I do make it out there, I nominate Ready To Rumble as well.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, you stop paying attention for several days and you miss everything around here.

Yes

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

*waves* Hi Zarban.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why do we have to lose someone to have a guest? Does your equipment limit you to four people? Is it because the format has always been 4 people? I'd love it if you had guests in addition to the regular cast, as opposed to in place of one.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We can do five folks on the board without splitting mics between multiple people, but on a movie where everyone has something to say at every moment, like Serenity, five folks trying to get air time might be more pain than its worth to listen to.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a fair point. I don't know, guests seem to be pretty hit or miss here, and what I'm afraid will happen is he'll tell an interesting behind the scenes story or two, then just sit there letting you guys talk, occasionally saying something like "I worked on that shot." I could be wrong and he'll be awesome, but if I'm right, it could kill the commentary. Having him there in addition to all four of you means if that does happen, it more or less turns into a regular commentary with a little extra input. If he's good, then I guess you have to restrain yourselves and talk less.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2010-04-22 19:00:39)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This point is good.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have no idea if a contribution now is incredibly pointless but my vote is a Hell Yeah as far as a guest with a decent reason to be there.

The eps on shows where Trey has something specific to say about a movie he worked on are often my faves, and if the dudes cool, hell, give him a seat & let him contribute. If if you're not doing it, can you get him to talk about his experiences some other way? smile

Also, I'm astonished at the guest hate further up in the thread. Christ, it's one episode of DiF...

Guest Please

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yes please do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is always good when there is an expert on rather than just 4 opinions (which is good too, obviously but it's nice to mix things up).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm gonna say no to the guest idea. To me, special effects are not what's important about Serenity. There are a million other things to talk about when it comes to this film, special effects and insider's knowledge should be the least of them.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone else catch the latest episode of Castle, Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind?  All kinds of Sci-fi references, one in particular that literally had me lol-ing after it sank in.  Worth catching on Hulu if you haven't.

Just finished it actually. Definitely lol-worthy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I got it.

I lolled.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just want a Serenity commentary, guest or not. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mr. Pointy wrote:

I just want a Serenity commentary, guest or not. smile

Quoted for fucking truth.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If he's good, yes. Otherwise, just a regular episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you know you can always ask some of the panelist to bring their own mic.  That is if they have one.  You don't want to make them mad by making them go buy one... 

As for wrestling matches, I liked the Stone Cold/Bret Hart match from WM13  not my favorite but a solid match.  Randy Savage was good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What is so difficult with.... wait for it.... FIVE friends in your head?

As for being "invested in the regulars", thats illogical, since, yes, I am primarily investedin Trey, Dorkman, Teague, Ryan-or-Brian, but notsomuch the others (sorry, others). So for me, the "regulars" are already diluted with "guests", so I see zero problem.

Honestly, I am pissed for every commentary that is missing Trey's gnarly tech insights, and Dorkmans razorsharp analysisisis.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down