Topic: Prometheus - Things I learned listening to the two commentaries

The trailer for the PROMETHEUS Blu-Ray declared 'Questions will be answered'...

I've now had an opportunity to listen to both Ridley Scott's and the screenwriter's commentaries, and here's a summary. I've also seen the deleted/alternative scenes which also add a bit more detail.

1. Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelhof recorded their commentaries separately and before the movie even premièred. The comments were merged together to form one audio track. Lindelhof is used to being hated (after Lost) and anticipated the abuse in his self-deprecating way. Nevertheless he likes adding mystery. Both acknowledged potential problems and both had issues with the final theatrical release (e.g. whistle password, rapid growth of the fetus, etc). Both writers (& director) seemed scientifically illiterate - whenever they talk about biology or astronomy, they make serious blunders.

2. Ridley Scott delivers a laconic 'phoned-in' commentary - half of which is just describing the bleeding obvious. For the rest of the time, he's being satisfied how well everything turned out. Not once does he acknowledge any problems. In fact, in an eye-opening section between 31min and 33min, he says that anyone who questions his judgement can fuck off - they must be either inexperienced or stupid. He's got 3 movies in the Library of Congress, therefore he's earned the right to be surrounded by 'yes men'. For him, the movie is perfect. But there's no indication that he's into the story or even the genre. It's just a job he does. He repeatedly states how pleased he is in knocking out the movie in 82 days because he doesn't bother with rehearsals, etc. (I wonder if he got a bonus in keeping the movie to 2 hours as he eagerly dispensed with many interesting scenes the writers came up with.)

3. Why did David spike Holloway's drink? Because Weyland implored (from his dream-state) 'try harder' to find a cure for mortality. After Holloway admitted he'd do anything to find answers, David had carte blanche to use him as a guinea pig. (The second law of robotics obviously doesn't apply). David didn't know what the goo would do, nor was there an ulterior corporate motive. (No, it doesn't make any sense why the robot would potentially infect the entire crew simply to see if the goo made you live forever. Ever heard of a lab rat?)

4. Why did the Engineer go 'aaaaaah' and rip off David's head? According to Ridley, he was offended at being addressed by a synthetic being. According to the screenwriters, he was offended at being woken up and addressed by 'chimpanzees' (i.e. us). (yeah, real god-like).

5. Why did the Engineer not talk? In a longer deleted scene, he did talk. But it was felt during editing that speaking removed his god-like aura. Apparently making him go 'aaaaaaah' and act like a WWF wrestler is more god-like. Idiots.

6. Where do the Engineers come from? Paradise. (does that clear things up?)

7. Why did they change their mind in respect to Earth? No one knows. (No one attempted to speculate what threat iron age humans have to any thing else in the universe).  If the intention was always to use Earth as a weapons testing ground, then why graffiti our caves?

8. When was the opening sequence set? According to Ridley Scott, 10 million years ago before there was any life. (Which is completely wrong. Life began on Earth at least 3.5 billion years ago. In an alternate extended opening sequence, you clearly see trees and moss as the Engineer sacrifices himself. )

9. Why is the ship in the opening scene a saucer and not the iconic Giger horse-shoe ship? Because their ship design evolved.

10. Why can David speak the Engineer's language? Because he learned sanskrit and other ur-languages and somehow the Engineer language got transmitted in the DNA that seeded life. (Doesn't make any sense, but that's what you get when you have arty people writing science fiction.) No mention that they would have had to come back around 35,000 years ago and scribble on our cave walls.

11. Could staples really work on Shaw's caesarian? Ridley once got his knee stapled, so yes it could. (I'm serious - that's what he says).

12. Was there any significance to "Christmas" or events 2000 years ago? Nothing was mentioned. But the theme of children wanting to kill their parents was often mentioned. Charlize wants Weyland to die. David wants his creators to die.

13. David's motives? The screenwriters spoke at length about David's thoughts towards humans and the Engineers and his own artificialness, but not wanting to go down the Pinocchio route. For all of Fassbender's terrific performance, he actually doesn't convey half of what is supposed to be attributed to him by the writers.

14. Other issues? Ridley Scott repeatedly says that he decided to do something that way because it was cool or 'seemed right'. No explanations. No justifications. Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense. Sean Harris, the actor who played Fifield the geologist suggested he go 'punk' and Scott simply said 'okay, why not?'. Can you really re-animate a 2000 year old head? Doesn't matter. Just add some techno-babble and it's fine.

In summary, I get the impression Ridley Scott doesn't really care. He's suffering from 'George Lucas Syndrome' (his shit don't stink), and is more concerned with delivering a product on budget, on time for the studio, than pleasing the fans. I did investigate the issue of science consultant, and amazingly the The Science & Entertainment Exchange was used, but only minimally and I can only conclude that most of the scientific advice was ignored.
Had it just been Jon Spaihts original script and had it been given to a director that cares about the material and who listened to a science consultant, it might have been a good movie.

Last edited by avatar (2012-10-02 09:22:05)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Prometheus - Things I learned listening to the two commentaries

I recently went on a commentary binge and listened to the commentaries for Alien and Blade Runner for the first time. The way Ridley Scott talks, just the fact that he's full of himself and uses these bizarre sentence structures (like ending sentences with, "yeah?")... I swear to God he's the real-life David Brent.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is bizarre when the creator of something seems to know less or care less than the fans. I remember watching a quizz show where the topic was the career of Alice Cooper. One of the contestants was an Alice Cooper fan, and the other contestant was... Alice Cooper. And the fan did better.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for posting this, was very interesting to read through.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some of Scott's commentaries are quite interesting, The Duelists and Kingdom of Heaven for example, but he does come across as a bit self-satisfied at times. I've not listened to Robin Hood, and I found that to be as disappointing and flawed as Prometheus - I wonder, does he consider that film to be perfect?

3. Why did David spike Holloway's drink? Because Weyland said 'try harder' to find a cure for mortality. After Holloway admitted he'd do anything to find answers, David had carte blanche to use him as a guinea pig. David didn't know what the goo would do, nor was there a ulterior corporate motive. (No, it doesn't make any sense why the robot would potentially infect the entire crew simply to see if the goo made you live forever. Ever heard of a lab rat?)

I believe the greater problem from this subplot stems from the fact that David demonstrates absolutely no further interest in the experiment, nor in the baby that's created in Shaw's womb as a result. This sort of half-baked approach to virtually everything in the story is why the script (and resulting film) is so appalling.

And yup, thanks for posting, saves me having to download the MP3!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I believe the greater problem from this subplot stems from the fact that David demonstrates absolutely no further interest in the experiment, nor in the baby that's created in Shaw's womb as a result.

Actually the writers address this point. As soon as David found the sleeping Engineer, the 'former lines of enquiry' were abandoned. But you're right - that fact that none of this is spelled out and you have to piece it together from commentaries, deleted scenes, and interviews is evidence enough what a cluster-fuck the movie is.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5. Why did the Engineer not talk? In a longer deleted scene, he did talk. But it was felt during editing that speaking removed his god-like aura. Apparently making him go 'aaaaaaah' and act like a WWF wrestler is more god-like. Idiots.

Well, it's going to depend on the god, isn't it smile

It is bizarre when the creator of something seems to know less or care less than the fans. I remember watching a quizz show where the topic was the career of Alice Cooper. One of the contestants was an Alice Cooper fan, and the other contestant was... Alice Cooper. And the fan did better.

Don't see why that's bizarre. Who's going to know more about your life, you, who has stuff to do, or a stalker who has memorized your entire family tree and what you had for dinner for the past eight years?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Don't see why that's bizarre. Who's going to know more about your life, you, who has stuff to do, or a stalker who has memorized your entire family tree and what you had for dinner for the past eight years?

I know extreme fandom can get dysfunctional, but still, wouldn't it freak you out if you met someone who knows your life better than you do?

But that's a separate issue to, say, George Lucas referring to a lightsaber as a 'laser sword'. Are we 'stalkers with no lives' for laughing at, or correcting, or being disappointed at Lucas for not knowing/caring about his own creation?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well...I can defend ONE thing there, my wife got a caesarian and she had staples.  They were....gnarly.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Well...I can defend ONE thing there, my wife got a caesarian and she had staples.  They were....gnarly.

Was she able to go for a jog immediatly afterwards?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But that's a separate issue to, say, George Lucas referring to a lightsaber as a 'laser sword'. Are we 'stalkers with no lives' for laughing at, or correcting, or being disappointed at Lucas for not knowing/caring about his own creation?

I honestly always got a hipster vibe from GL when he'd do that shit. I think he knows full well it's called a lightsaber -- he wrote the word "lightsaber" in all the damn scripts, even in the prequels -- and I think he knows full well a lot of other things he pretends not to, but he wanted to make a show of having better things to do than care about the minutae of these "kids' movies," to let us know we should all be embarrassed that we don't. Of course, there is clearly a level at which George didn't pay attention to the minutae, but I think its an affectation in at least a few cases.

Ridley Scott, on the other hand, clearly gives no fucks and needs not pretend to give fewer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I dunno though, it might be more of just a personality thing on his part. I get the feeling he's always just kind of been that way, hence all the on-set conflicts on things like Blade Runner back in the day.
I don't sense a not giving-a-fuck vibe from him on this movie, maybe not giving-a-fuck on the story level, but his taste and sensibilities are all over the production design choices on this movie. And from interviews it sounded like he genuinely had a great time making it.

It's definitely not a case of someone just coasting for the paycheck, like McTiernan on Rollerball or John Woo on Paycheck.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great post avatar, thanks for that.

bullet3 wrote:

I dunno though, it might be more of just a personality thing on his part. I get the feeling he's always just kind of been that way, hence all the on-set conflicts on things like Blade Runner back in the day.
I don't sense a not giving-a-fuck vibe from him on this movie, maybe not giving-a-fuck on the story level, but his taste and sensibilities are all over the production design choices on this movie. And from interviews it sounded like he genuinely had a great time making it.

It's definitely not a case of someone just coasting for the paycheck, like McTiernan on Rollerball or John Woo on Paycheck.

There's no question that Ridley Scott movies are a triumph of production design... Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, Black Rain, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, and Prometheus. No issues with him there. But he's not known for being an actor's director. The style-over-substance accusation has been levelled at him more than once. Have a listen to the Prometheus commentary - he's very smug and doesn't at all appear thoughtful when it comes to the story. More of a box-ticker. Personally I  think the problem is just (1) RS is now an old man with less patience, energy or enthusiasm than before (2) having past success causes him to feel entitled not to have his judgements questioned.

He'll be close to 80 when the sequels to Blade Runner or Prometheus come out. How many octogenarians make cool movies? Scott should look at Weyland: "A King's reign comes to an end, it is inevitable"

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

Great post avatar, thanks for that.

No probs. Who's going to volunteer to watch the 3h:40m making-of documentary (The Furious Gods) & another 1 hour+ enhancement pods on Prometheus and report back?  big_smile Five hours of Scott telling you how cool his "vision" is and all the actors/crew blowing sunshine up each other.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Tune in next year to find out!

Given the high expectations for a new Alien movie, Prometheus was a disappointment. But for the Blade Runner sequel, now that we've got stung once with Ridley Scott, we're all going to dial our expectations way way way down, like with Attack of the Clones. If the Prometheus sequels and Blade Runner sequels aren't a complete steaming pile of shit, it'll be a triumph. It's hard to judge a movie objectively if there's so much history with previous instalments.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For those chomping at the bit for a commentary to tear down all the scientific inaccuracies, Double D have posted the 1st commentary for it online (according to Zarban's site), and go quite in depth: http://www.zarban.com/?p=29987

Can tide us over till the official DIF take on it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

If the Prometheus sequels and Blade Runner sequels aren't a complete steaming pile of shit, it'll be a triumph.

When I'm in charge sequel making will be a federal crime. While I realize that some people will claim that occasionally there is a sequel worth watching, we'll be saved from a whole lot of bullshit. Plus, the peace dividend will be huge. We have to realize that for every Transformers 12 a potentially good movie could have been made.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

If the Prometheus sequels and Blade Runner sequels aren't a complete steaming pile of shit, it'll be a triumph.

When I'm in charge sequel making will be a federal crime. While I realize that some people will claim that occasionally there is a sequel worth watching, we'll be saved from a whole lot of bullshit. Plus, the peace dividend will be huge. We have to realize that for every Transformers 12 a potentially good movie could have been made.

For every Transformers 12 as many as forty potentially good movies could have been made.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well ain't that the truth.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not that I'm defending those piece of shit movies, but it is because of Transformers that good movies did get made. The substantial revenue received from guaranteed blockbusters allows studios to fund movies that otherwise wouldn't get made due to the perceived risks involved. It's not really an equation where studios would have made 40 good movies in place of the 1, in the same way that spending several billion on Curiosity doesn't mean that that money would have otherwise paid for homeless shelters in Detroit.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It won't be a bad on blockbusters, or even a ban on shitty movies, it will simply be a ban on the reflex reaction of studios that says 'wow - that made a lot of money, let's make that again, only worse this time!'.
It's not that studios will be prohibited from producing pandering, brain dead drivel, but that they won't be able to do it automatically.
Think of it like the assault weapons ban. You can still buy huge guns that wreak terrible havoc, you just can't make them work by simply holding your finger on the button.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

For those chomping at the bit for a commentary to tear down all the scientific inaccuracies, Double D have posted the 1st commentary for it online (according to Zarban's site), and go quite in depth: http://www.zarban.com/?p=29987

Can tide us over till the official DIF take on it.

Hey thanks for that bullet3 - it was lot of fun! The commentators have seen the 4 hours+ of extras and so have incorporated what they learned into their observations. The gauntlet has been thrown down to DiF to tear Prometheus a third or fourth or fifth one. big_smile

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heres the script for Prometheus from before Damon Lindelof got Involved Link

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Just read it, agree with Sqig. Had a hard time putting it down, truth be told.
Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and watch the film now.

edit:

re 4) is Milla Jojovich still working?

re 5) the dog-alien in 3 does some munching, but it's framed in a wierd way so it's debatable what's happening. I agree the feeding motive has been left a bit too much to the imagination. Makes me wonder why cocooned bodies in 2 were not considered edible.

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-11-13 16:19:35)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down