Re: Are Video Games Art?

Here's a wrinkle: playing a video game, as opposed to watching someone else play a video game, i.e., are video games inherently more subjective than film?

Part of the enjoyment of video games is that the player is creating the experience as they go.  They dictate the pacing, where, when and how a character goes or solves a puzzle or defeats a foe.  If they stop playing, the experience stops.  While one player might take a long time to figure out a puzzle in Portal, another might figure it out right away, and yet another has already figured it out on previous play-throughs and is on to the next puzzle in no time.

In each case, the player is still deriving a level of enjoyment from the experience, because they are the ones creating it.

So what about observing someone else play?  I would posit that it depends on the observer's familiarity with the game in question.  A new player might find watching an experienced player enjoyable, and indeed helpful if they're stuck.  I remember getting stuck a few times in Portal 2 and was grateful for the wealth of game play-throughs available on YouTube these days.

On the other hand, an experienced player might not find watching a new player stumble around to be as enjoyable.  The theory I posit is that because the experienced player has defined the outline for their experience of that game, perhaps watching someone else with a different outline, or someone figuring things out for the first time, could be frustrating, particularly if there were no opportunity to offer advise when the new player get stuck.

With film (or T.V.), every "play-through" is exactly the same, and yet a room full of viewers can have vastly differing subjective experiences, and those experiences can change over time.  With video games, even with an experienced player, each play-through can be slightly different, and offer a slightly different experience. Granted, in a game like Portal, there is a very clear through-line in terms of how any one player move from beginning to end, so most players will likely have a very similar experience.  This is by design of course, so perhaps in the broad strokes, there really isn't that much difference between the two mediums as it might appear.  If that's the case, then it brings up the questions of whether a non-player could enjoy watching someone play a game, and whether they would be more inclined to watch a game with a story as opposed to one without.

So I guess my questions are:

A.) Does the fact that each player creates their own experience as they go with a video game make that experience inherently more subjective than film or T.V.?
B.) How does that experience translate when watching a new player, or simply another player?
C.) Can a non-player enjoy watching others play a video game?
D.) Would they be more inlined to do so if that game had a story?

The final idea I will posit is this: if a non-player can enjoy watching someone else play a video game, particularly if that game has a story they can invest in, how is that experience any different from watching a film?

Well I'm actually really well versed in at least part of this culture. I watch on a daily basis, and actually create my own let's play...(well I havn't done one in a while, but thats beside the point)... for minecraft and other games.

It's a very interesting thing.

A/B) The thing about video games is that the gameplay can be incredibly diverse (if you know anything about minecraft, you know what i mean) but even portal and other video games. So that the way one person solves a puzzle or a level, is naturally going to be different than the way you do it (or with minecraft, oh gods, endless). So it can be highly entertaining to watch that person's line of thinking, and see how they process the exact same situation.

C) Absolutely, theres an entire subsection of gamers dedicated to creating that very content, and their are hoards of people that love watching it (Myself included)

D) YES. It's actually something that most of the LPer's I watch look for, and most actually won't play a game if there isn't a story to it. Because then it;s just watching someone jump around for half an hour. And so what the fuck is the point?

I would say that the experience of watching an LP and actually playing the game are two very diffrent things. When you are playing the game yourself, you yourelf are becoming invested in it because the choices YOU make directly affect the outcome. Whereas when I'm watching an LP it's much more about enjoying the commentary of who evers playing that game and getting to relive the story without actually having to be the guy playing it.

It's different than watching a film, because when you're watching a movie, it's about directly getting you to interact with the story itself and get invested. When I'm watching someone play a video game it's about partially getting to live/relive the story, but it's also about enjoying the process and commentary of whoever is playing.

For example, one of my favorite LP's is GuudeBoulderFist's playthough of Portal 2. I got to relive the story and his commentary is hilarious, and it brings a whole new level to it which i absolutely love.

As a note, I will not watch an LP if the commentator sucks or there is no commentary, because then i might as well just be playing the game myself.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I loved watching that. Going to watch part two now.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Back when I was playing Dead Space for the first time I found this guy's LP and loved it.

As an aside, and as a WASD gamer, I got the idea a while back to do an LP, with a game I know, using a 360 controller.  Might need to plunk down for Fraps and make that happen.

Edit: I wonder what sort of copyright stuff comes into effect with uploading the entirety of a game play-through onto YouTube.  I know they have filters to check for movie and song copyrighted material, but I wonder about video games.  Could it be that since the experience they are selling is that of playing the game, there is no loss in value in simply watching it?

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2012-04-16 22:21:43)

An example of a game that I would never ever actually play, but I love watching someone else play, just because I love watching him play it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Most of my video game experience is as an observer. I have no patience for the mechanics of video games and hate the parts where I know what you're supposed to do but the $#@*! character won't do it to get to the next bit of plot. Nearly all of my interest in video games is for the story or humour. Street Fighter is kind of the extreme of no story all mechanics and it's just boring button mashing to me. Portal was just the right combination of story and play. Both Batman Arkham games had too much shoe leather for me to want to play them myself, but I enjoyed watching Spiff play through them. An exception for me would be StarCraft, which I enjoy watching as an esport without story (though the single player mode had some amount of story and pretty cut scenes).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the main point that we've gotten out of this is that Portal is great.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I think the main point that we've gotten out of this is that Portal is great.

Truer words have never been spoke.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Taking this further are games like Psychonauts, which take a strong narrative and combine it with puzzle elements that tie into characters motivations. There are also plenty of older RPGs which basically replicate the p&p experience (such as Baldur's Gate).

Story and emotional investment in characters are at the heart of every game I love. Even titles which focus on strategy (such as civilization) allow the player to build their own narrative as the game develops.

This is key, games are not a passive form of art. They require a player shaping the experience to appreciate them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

This is key, games are not a passive form of art. They require a player shaping the experience to appreciate them.

cough*minecraft*cough

tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dave wrote:

Taking this further are games like Psychonauts, which take a strong narrative and combine it with puzzle elements that tie into characters motivations....

...Story and emotional investment in characters are at the heart of every game I love. Even titles which focus on strategy (such as civilization) allow the player to build their own narrative as the game develops.

Psychonauts.. (sniffs game box) ... i love that game more than any movie, EVER

(nerd boner)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have now watched three hours and twenty minutes of Portal 2.

Just two more hours to go. I think.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know what would be a better use of your time? Playing it.  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

come and play with us, Teague

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On that note, I've gotten all the single player achievements in Portal 2, but I'd love to get some multiplayer in.  I know we've got a DIF Steam group.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/CAJOME/sirens2.jpg

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Damn, I get back from work and there's a ton of stuff to read...

In regard to story / gameplay, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, and in fact every single game ever made already has a story even if there's not one scripted into the game. Most games today actually have two stories going on:

1) The story that the developers wrote up and added dialogue and cutscenes for
2) The one that describes your own personal experience with the game, written as you play.

Story #2 is almost always going to be the more compelling story for a player, and it's usually the one you talk about, even if the game involved has an amazing story written into it.

The sad fact is that a lot of games now sacrifice Story #2 for the sake of making Story #1 feel more... epic? Cinematic?

Since my Skyrim cred has been called into question, I shall use it as an example:

Remember the first dragon you fight? The one outside Whiterun? That dragon made me rage-quit that game and I almost uninstalled it and never played it again. That dragon was the most disappointing gameplay experience I've had since the opening driving sequence of GTA4 (which I also rage-quit after...)

So I'm level 6 or 7 or something. I've done a couple of easy fetch-quests so far just getting used to all the ins and outs of everything and then I goto Whiterun and there's a dude there and he's all "Holy shit! There's a fuckin dragon flyin around!" and the king guy is all "Fuckin go out there and help my dudes check out this dragon!" so I go out to meet up with the dudes where the arrow's pointing.

So I get there and this chick is all "be vewwy quiet...  we're hunting dwagons...  hehehehe" and we go to this watch tower that's seen better days, and this dragon flies over and the dudes are all "fuckin DRAGON!"

At this point in the game, I had an axe and a bow and about 20 arrows and a couple health potions and my armor was crap. I'm level 6 or 7. I firmly believe that this is some kind of scripted bullshit because there's no way I'm about to fight a fucking dragon this early in the game. There's just no fucking way.

The dragon lands and starts flinging guys left and right and takes off and breathes fire and lands and flings some guys. I shoot some arrows at it and it gets hurt. I shoot some more arrows at it and it gets more hurt. It lands and I run up to it and wave my axe at it and it's all "OW! FIREBREATH!" and I get mildly scalded. So I back off a little and then shoot more arrows at it and it dies. I absorb it's soul and all the dudes are like "holy shit, bro, you just ate that dragon's soul!"

And I hit ESC, save the game, quit the game go outside and smoke several cigarettes while trying to keep myself from punching things at random, so pissed off am I.

Now, I had already kinda had my doubts about the game after having wrestled a bear to death at level 2 or 3, but taking out a dragon at lvl 7 with a bow was not exactly what I had imagined going in. I had envisioned a game where the dragons were a thing. Not just some random enemy they would throw at you nonstop for the duration of the game, but something special that you'd get to fight maybe a half dozen times during the main quest and maybe every great once in a while otherwise. They would have been huge and varied and important. If you saw a dragon and you weren't at LEAST lvl 30 or 40 and decked out with some decent gear you would stand no chance. A dragon encounter would mean running like a bitch for someplace to hide until the big scary monster went away.

But while I was outside I basically had to tell myself that OF COURSE that's what the game was. I had to force myself to lower my expectations down to nearly nothing at all because these guys were trying to give me a visceral experience. It doesn't matter that you shouldn't be able to kill a dragon at lvl 7 with the weakest bow and nearly the worst armor in the game. Games don't give a flying fuck about that. Skyrim is a simple power fantasy. You're the star of your own epic fantasy adventure.

Dorkman pointed out that having fun and being told a story aren't mutually exclusive, but it depends on what your idea of 'fun' is, and what your idea of 'story' is. Those two things are pretty well defined for us in movie terms. You've got movies that are all about 'fun' like Star Wars and ID4 and 2012 and Transformers, and then you've got movies that are all about story like Schindler's List, The Prestige and The Fountain, but then you've got movies that try to do both as well as possible, or are some decent mixture of both, at least.

With games, I think those two things are a bit more nebulous. Fun, especially, is extremely subjective. I tend to play very strategic, very micro-management oriented games. Not as much now, maybe, but back in the day I was all over some of that shit. The Ultima games, oldschool adventure games where you had to keep your own notes of what the hell was going on, tactical war sims (I never found a copy of The Operational Art Of War, but I fucking want it badly), and today I play Dwarf Fortress and other roguelikes / RPG's that require a lot of detail awareness. A lot of people would find that sort of thing extremely boring.

On the other hand, many people obviously find more visceral games fun and I usually don't get off on that sort of thing. Sometimes the physics can be good for a laugh. The physics and ragdolls in GTA4, for instance, is the only saving grace for that game for me. Literally every single other thing about that game makes me angry. The only thing I ever do in GTA4 is perform random acts of cruelty and generally incite chaos. It is the only thing in there that I find fun at all.

When you're talking about story, again, there's a story going on in games that have no story. In Dwarf Fortress, which is the game I play most often lately, there's no story being told to you. The story is what you do with the game. Your goal is to just make and expand a Dwarf Fortress (I know, hard to imagine...) and keep it going for as long as possible. However, you only have the ability to tell your dwarves what you'd like them to do. It's up to the dwarves whether or not they'll actually do it. You're more managing a workforce than controlling characters.

Each dwarf has a personality, favorite foods, favorite colors, friends, enemies, personality quirks, job preferences, physical descriptions, etc. If one dwarf dies, all of his friends will mourn him and it will affect their willingness to work, sleep, eat, etc. It is one of the most detailed, challenging and rewarding games I've ever played, and the stories it has generated have been amazing. They aren't the sort of stories that have beginnings, middles and endings, but more shit you can talk about to other people who play the game who may have had something kinda similar happen to them, but usually not that specific thing...

Hard to explain...   here's a couple examples...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bronzemurder
http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/

That's the sort of story I dig on in a game. The one you make up as you go.

If you were to take Dwarf Fortress and try to give it a storyline with like...  quests and missions and specific characters and plot moments and stuff, you'd have to start ripping out the mechanics to prevent the players from doing things you didn't want them to do. The main characters couldn't die cause you need them for the story. You'd need an overall goal, so build this and this and that and then 30 missions later you get to the final mission which is to have your dwarf militia defeat the big boss creature and his army of zombie hamsters.

And then it's the same story for every person who plays it. You now play Dwarf Fortress once or twice and then never again, because you've already played it.

The one thing I do in Skyrim is run around and explore. If the game were built in such a way that me doing that was THE POINT of the game, and the game were generating content or doing something that would provide me with a unique experience every time I played it, I would play it a hell of a lot. You could play it all the time and so long as the mechanics were FUN for you, you'd be making up your own story as you went along and enjoy it.

A perfect game, in my opinion, is one that can combine a set of rules and mechanics with the imagination of the player. Adventure games are awesome and telling stories is awesome, but that isn't the natural form of the medium. That's not what it's good at doing. If you want to tell a story, there are tons of non-interactive mediums to choose from.

I'm glad the discussion has become more general and not game-specific (I guess I ruined that again...). Originally I wasn't trying to pick on ME3, I was just using it as a springboard into a discussion about story in games, or maybe just games in general and my overall dismay at my own perception of the medium as it currently stands. I've never played ME3 and it's probably better than I assume it is, and from what I've seen, it does at least use that interactive ability in ways that alter the story that the devs are trying to tell. Though, honestly, I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not either, just on a basic storytelling level.

That might be something else to consider, tho. How much outside input can or should a creator allow to influence his story before the point of the story is lost or weakened or whatever?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

But while I was outside I basically had to tell myself that OF COURSE that's what the game was. I had to force myself to lower my expectations down to nearly nothing at all because these guys were trying to give me a visceral experience. It doesn't matter that you shouldn't be able to kill a dragon at lvl 7 with the weakest bow and nearly the worst armor in the game. Games don't give a flying fuck about that. Skyrim is a simple power fantasy. You're the star of your own epic fantasy adventure.

Visceral experience? Not necessarily. Bethesda likely just wanted to make the game easier with the first dragon. Because if there's one thing that can be said about games over the last decade, they're definitely easier.

But it's very tricky to get the right balance in a game like Skyrim, where the audience's skill ranges from 'can barely move the character' to 'can perform perfectly timed feats with expert finger dexterity' and everything in between. Not everyone can play the same, which is why there is a difficulty slider. Did you turn yours all the way up? Easy dragons aren't an uncommon complaint, which is why there are PC mods that significantly boost them (one is called Deadly Dragons), because some players are so skilled that even the hardest difficulty isn't enough, but I'd argue Bethesda shouldn't assume everyone is this good and make their game too hard for the mere mortals. Otherwise people will stop playing, because that's the thing about games. Not everyone plays them for the Xtreme Challenge, some just like to chill out and relax a bit.

It's clear that your idea of fun is to be challenged and to make up the story as you go along, but you have to remember that that's your preference and that others are different. You say it's all subjective but then rant about the gaming industry because it doesn't jive with your idea of fun; that seems short-sighted. The huge success of the games you don't like says a lot about the kind of fun that others like. The Call of Duty series are an excellent series of games, with for the most part fun and engaging single player campaigns and superb multiplayer that can literally last you years. (Sure, the formula is getting somewhat tired now, however.)

There are still games that might appeal to you though, such is the wide variety of games on release and in development. So it just seems like you're the old angry man on the mountain shouting at the clouds.

Personally, I share some of your feelings and long from freedom in games, and find sandbox games to be my favourite genre for that reason. But you're always going to be penned in by both game construction and design choices, as well as the need for accessibility and stucture. But equally, there's a game for every mood and they shouldn't all follow the same doctrine. I love sinking hours into Call of Duty, Skyrim, and a Total War game equally, and even an incredibly basic Android game like Flight Control.

Squiggly_P wrote:

The one thing I do in Skyrim is run around and explore. If the game were built in such a way that me doing that was THE POINT of the game, and the game were generating content or doing something that would provide me with a unique experience every time I played it, I would play it a hell of a lot. You could play it all the time and so long as the mechanics were FUN for you, you'd be making up your own story as you went along and enjoy it.

Except the game does do that with the Radiant system, which randomly gives you quests depending on various factors, and the different play styles means that you can literally have a unique experience every time you've played. Have you tried playing through the game again with a new character? It's surprising just how different you can do things, even when following what is ostensibly the exact same path. In an old typical platformer, you jump at the same bits and the enemies behave in the same way, it's repeating the exact same experience. Not so with Skyrim. That wizard might be the same and he might always be in the hall up ahead, but how you defeat him is never the same. I just think you've picked on a bad example there. Also, to some extent the point of Skyrim is just to play around in the world, chop wood and go hunt elks; the main quest is entirely optional (and arguably there in order to provide structure to that broad section of the audience who lack the imagination to make their own story).

Bioware's style is to create branching stories, so a player can have multiple experiences that are unique each time but are eventually limited by the game's content. In Mass Effect you can make a choice and the game takes you along a different path than if you had made another choice (and so on until the end). I guess the question here then becomes, how many unique experiences should a game provide to a player? Or while we are here, why should a game give a unique experience to every person who plays it? Why is there a need for this in the first place?

An interesting topic to bring up is the Western-Eastern differences in game design. The Western style of games is very different from that of Japan, where the story is equally if not more dominant and the gameplay is usually much more linear and shallower (compare the Yakuza series to the GTA series, or the FF series to Elder Scrolls). But then, most Japanese games are designed with just one playthrough in mind.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

I know we've got a DIF Steam group.

Wow, for real? Didn't know that.

I never completed the co-op campaign in Portal 2, btw. I am deeply ashamed of it, but if someone here hasn't either, we could do it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

An interesting topic to bring up is the Western-Eastern differences in game design. The Western style of games is very different from that of Japan, where the story is equally if not more dominant and the gameplay is usually much more linear and shallower (compare the Yakuza series to the GTA series, or the FF series to Elder Scrolls). But then, most Japanese games are designed with just one playthrough in mind.

They also seem to like adding side games and lots of them. In the newer Final Fantasy games you can spend twice as much time playing a card game as you can the main quest and still not collect all the cards and such. Collect all the things!

I gotta respect their experimentation, tho. They made a game about being a mosquito and a game where a talking fish from the uncanny valley randomly insults you for no apparent reason among other things.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have now watched a playthrough of all of Portal 2.

That was fucking fun.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Told ya.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Portal has always been a game you could have fun by just watching somebody else play the game.
That's why they decided to put co op in 2 ( which is awesome by the way)

1UP: It was that difficult, why have co-op mode to begin with?

EW: [Including co-operative play] was one of the first decisions we made going in Portal 2. The feedback we were getting immediately after we released Portal 1 -- and we got this all the time -- was that people were playing Portal 1 cooperatively. Someone would hold the controller, and someone else -- boyfriend or girlfriend, kids, whoever -- would sit next to them, and they would work through the puzzles together. They would actually play it together even though only one person was holding the controller. And so going into Portal 2, we knew it was a way that people were already playing the game, and we just wanted to formalize that so that it was an actual game mode.

That being said, it's way more fun to play then to just watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

if you don't want to blow $60 on a game you're not sure about, you can always find someone doing a LP for it either on day one or the next day. ME3 had about a thousand videos on youtube by noon on the first day it was released. Most of them have pretty unintentionally funny commentary by hopeless 14 year old nerds as well.

I've been thinking about doing some for older and/or more obscure PSX and Saturn games, but I hate my voice. People will mock me.

Not that they don't already...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd love to do a commentary (LP or film) but hate my voice too. I wonder if getting a voice modulator thingy and doing it all in a Darth Vader voice would work?

It's so hard to know whether you're going to like a game or not, and here in the UK we're paying about 40-50 quid (which is, what, around $70-80?). Really expensive! Occasionally, you get suckered into the hype only to end up a game like Medal of Honour, a clunky and really poorly scripted CoD wannabe. Nowadays, I usually wait until metacritic has an ample amount of reviews and then skip right to the end and read the 5-6 reviews with the lowest scores. Gaming journalism is shock full of folks telling you about all the bad stuff in a game and then giving it a high score (possibly influenced by the delicate, one-sided relationship between publisher and website/magazine).

One thing I would really like to change in the industry is have a revolution in the fighting game genre, which I used to love but find so utterly boring now as they've not done anything new with it in at least a decade. Wish it could get the 'boxing sim' treatment as seen in the Fight Night games. There's a new UFC game that might go someways in this direction... anyone been able to try it out?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down