Topic: Avatar

We, uh. Talk about it. Go.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Avatar

WHOOOOAH!

Now thats over with.

I think it was Brian (Maybe Dorkman?) at the beginning that basically summed my Avatar experience up. It went something along the lines of, thier are people that think movies are about the experience and then there are those that need a story in order to qualify a movie. I am in  the former group, mostly, although in truth I'm probably closer to the middle. Whatever.
I've actually begun to notice this more and more in myself as of late, that I am willing to forgive a movie for a weak plot if I can enjoy and just live in the experience. Which I don't think anyone would argue this doesn't.

Would I have liked a super amazing plot? Hell yes! Do I not like the movie because I didn't get one, hell no.

Anyways, I agree with a lot of what you guys said and you kinda pulled a prequels on me, cause by the end I was sorta pinning for the movie we didn't get, but you know, thats how it goes.

Although I had to laugh at Teague pointing out the idea of Avatar being a Na'Vi propaganda. As that is essentially the idea I came up with basically in my second watching and have been talking to people about. (I coulda sworn I brought it up on here once or twice... )

And the other idea I was toying with was that Avatar is essentially a giant fairy tale. Now just listen for a sec. We have villiany villians who are villians because they are villians (Quartrich) We have the damsel in distress (Neytiri) And we have the Hero who rides in to save the day (Jake). Obviously this is an immense oversimplification, but it works. I know I am giving waaaay to much credit to Cameron on this, but fuck it, it's Cameron. What if this thing was set up like Starship Troopers, as this whole higher plane of thinking, fairy tale thing, that just no one got (Ala Troopers). Whatever, discuss.

Otherwise I still fukin love the shit outta this movie. And if the sequel is actually gonna be the whole underwater/ocean thing, I will shit my pants. (For those of you who don't know my final project for this year involves a 300ft long ocean trench dwelling whale. Soooo yah.)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-05-03 05:44:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

All I want to say is that I really like the soundtrack.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right, Teague you insane, the score is fukin amazing.

And I think we can all agree that if Stephen Lang had this on hand, we would have all been better off.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've only seen it once, in IMAX, back in December.  I knew going in that the script was weak, so I prepared for spectacle.

Due to me expectations, I was quite pleased.  The visuals and scope were fantastic, the pace was fine simply because I enjoyed just SEEING everything that was put before me.  On an 8 story screen with some of the best sound the world has to offer, I thought it was one of the most fun movie going experiences I'd had in a very long time.

Now, however, I can't really see ever watching it again.  Maybe just once more to show off my TV to some friends and to take in the visuals one more time... but this movie felt completely like a call back to the Cinema of Attractions. 

Magic was on the screen and that was enough.

Last note:  I do remember one of my first thoughts was why the film didn't have a more memorable score.  You'd think with something like this they would have wanted an iconic theme that would go down with the likes of Star Wars.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry for the delay everybody.

Pick up Avatar at the Down in Front store

As you know...

Depth of field

Character arc

Save the cat

AVTR

Fire in zero g

Thundercats fan trailer

Laz Alonso, Tsu'tey was at the Arclight with us opening night

Red Letter Media reviews Avatar

Neptune
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0108/neptunespots_vg2_big.jpg

Great discussion about the film. I felt all the criticisms (and praise) were fair. I have seen the movie once and have no real interest in seeing it again. This isn't out of protest, there is just nothing about the movie that makes me want to revisit it (but as mentioned in the discussion, i will revisit District 9 many times).

That being said i have two questions to toss out:
1) How did this movie make as much money as it did? It is a visually stunning spectacle to be sure, and there is a basic enough story, but I still don't understand why it got so much repeat business. The people in front of me in line when I saw it had already seen it once (not in 3D) and were coming back because they said the story was "So good".

2) I tend to agree with the Onion's A.V. Club review of this movie, in that they just don't understand why so many critics love this movie (Still something like 84% on Rotten Tomatoes). What's the deal there? Again, visually: great. Story: not great. So where are the extremely positive reviews coming from?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think most people (generalization warning!) go to movies to escape and witness beautiful and wonderful things.  The story is very simple and to a lot of people, if they completely "get" it, then it was good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I saw it three time on the Imax, and will probably see the re-release if my sister can find a sitter (she couldn't the first time around). Flaws and all, it's just fun and the 3D did suck me in. It'll be interesting listening to the commentary which is just about downloaded (I don't have the DVD as it's one of those Netflix is being paid to delay renting for a month, but I think I know it well enough).

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

emfayder wrote:

Sorry for the delay everybody.

So the longest movie has the shortest notes? Interesting...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

So the longest movie has the shortest notes? Interesting...

It is, isn't it?

What? Not even close. Titanic is half an hour longer than Avatar.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah, you're right. I was confused as the file for this one was 162 MB and Titanic was just 70 MB smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished listening. Lots of interesting info, although I still love the movie (this was a fun change given the past "Cameron rules!" episodes). Couple comments:

1) Mechs are good! And, you don't build weapons into them because the one advantage of a vehicle with hands is you can pick up new weapons quickly. Hmm, I just realized the Macross/Avatar connection, as in Macross (the first part of Robotech for some of you) the big mechas were developed because the aliens were a race of giants.

2)Why is there just one Home Tree? There isn't. There's probably one per tribe, and there's probably thousands of tribes all over the planet. It probably takes a century or three to get one big enough to actually live in, so losing yours is a big deal and maybe even ends up killing most of the tribe (how many ants survive having their anthill dug up?)

3) No comment about how the whole place seems to have been designed by someone, which either is a huge hole in the plot or will be the main plot in future movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know, I've gotta be honest. This one was really difficult to listen to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not sure how to articulate it. It just felt different from your other commentaries to me. Angrier, maybe. I dunno, I know I'm overgeneralizing and I know that's unfair, which is why I didn't elaborate the first time. I also know you guys don't do this for me, so mentioning it at all is an ungrateful dick move. But it just seemed abrasive somehow. Bitter.

I dunno. Ignore me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, I agree it did sound angrier and more bitter. Usually even when a movie is being trashed there's a sense of fun, and that was missing. I was even surprised when the sum up by everyone was that Avatar had reached the level of "good", as I wouldn't have guessed that after listening. It's like a review that trashes a film but still gives it three stars.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jake is an angry man.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it feels kind of weak to trash such a popular movie. Maybe instead of harping on the use of mechs, you could have tried to figure out why people loved it so much?

Oh and by the way: mechs are awesome, and I loved their use in Avatar.

And a human-colored Avatar for Quallrich is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm completely with Greg on this one.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I see no reason to spend 3 hours practicing apologetics for a movie that's made almost three billion dollars (that's worldwide, Greg). The people who like it know why they like it. We didn't, and we say why, because obviously we're the minority opinion.

And "weak to trash such a popular movie"? So if a movie is popular, we can't have/express a dissenting opinion if we don't like it? Let me go on record right now and say: that's bullshit. It would be one thing if we had no real reasons for doing so and were only dissing it to be contrary and "edgy," but I think we spend quite a bit of time articulating why this falls short in our opinions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You should trash a movie you don't like. As a listener maybe I would have liked to have at least one person who enjoyed it more sitting in with the group, but that person may not exist among you and I have no problem with that smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Yeah, it feels kind of weak to trash such a popular movie.

I'm kind of blown away by this statement.  Was it weak when WIlliam Goldman completely decimated Saving Private Ryan?  Or weak when Pauline Kael said Star Wars (the original) was like a Cracker Jack box with only prizes?  If you have never "trashed," (a weird choice of words for what was a sober critique) a movie that was otherwise popular then you simply have a pedestrian point of view.  I don't BELIEVE that that is the case so I'm going to chalk it up to a combination of a) poor choice of words and b) getting butt hurt over a movie you liked.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-05-04 06:05:21)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll admit that I didn't explain my point terribly clearly, so lemme give it a go again:

I believe my point was not 'it was popular therefore it's perfect,' and more like 'it was popular, so perhaps you should give it a little benefit of the doubt,' and 'it was popular, and your criticism is coming across as more of a backlash than honest critique.'

I had problems with the movie too, but I'm still able to enjoy it on many levels, and I think there's a lot of work that went into making it that got glossed over in favor of what I felt was a series of overzealous arguments.

I do think that Goldman calling 'Ryan' a 'detestable piece of shit' was pretty weak. I mean, come on. I didn't love love love every minute of Ryan, but it's nowhere near as bad as his 10,000 words would have you believe. As he states in his own essay, he decided to hate the movie based on its hype before he even walked in the theater.

And Pauline Kael's one paragraph dismissal of Star Wars is exactly the sort of hackwork I'm talking about. OK, she didn't like it, but after it's made billions of dollars and started a six film franchise and countless other works that many people love to this day, perhaps she looked back and regretted that review. Perhaps she missed something really important in her rush to combat the 'hype' that she apparently hates so much.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down