Topic: Pre-Constantine.

Just some video.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Pre-Constantine.

On a similar subject of weird instruments, here's a quesiton.

Trent Reznor has started a new group called How to Destroy Angels with his new bride, Mariqueen from West Indian Girl.  Go to their website here:

http://howtodestroyangels.com/home.html

watch the bottom video.  Mariqueen is...playing(?) something I have never seen before.  Any ideas what it is?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

Trent Reznor has started a new group called How to Destroy Angels with his new bride, Mariqueen from West Indian Girl.?

Awesome, glad to see Trent still making music; looking forward to seeing what they produce.

watch the bottom video.  Mariqueen is...playing(?) something I have never seen before.  Any ideas what it is?

Looks to me like a some sort of resistor uses as a synth input/patch.

Last edited by Feunatz (2010-05-03 17:57:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Feunatz wrote:

Looks to me like a some sort of resistor uses as a synth input/patch.

That's kinda what I figured.  But I couldn't tell if it was something they cobbled together themselves (note the hand drawn lines above where Mariqueen pulls the band) or something that already exists.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague and Trey do a duet.

Last edited by Brian (2010-05-03 21:03:05)

BrianFinifter wrote:

Teague and Trey do a duet.

...Did you purposely link back to the forum, or did you copy/paste the wrong url?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have no idea what you're talking about.

*whistles*

Never had one lesson...

/Bueller

Ha! I do want to do a theremin piano duet properly some time, you missed all of the preparation we did for this duet.

*plunk plunk plunk*

"Trey, this is a C, find that. Okay, here!"

Improv ensues.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trent Reznor has started a new group called How to Destroy Angels with his new bride, Mariqueen from West Indian Girl.

As God is my judge, I read that sentence four times before realizing it didn't actually say "Mariqueen the West Indian girl."

Which I thought was a curiously specific way to refer to somebody's wife.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Trent Reznor has started a new group called How to Destroy Angels with his new bride, Mariqueen from West Indian Girl.

As God is my judge, I read that sentence four times before realizing it didn't actually say "Mariqueen the West Indian girl."

Which I thought was a curiously specific way to refer to somebody's wife.

Yeah, thankfully I'm not a total dick.  No, Mariqueen was the frontwoman of a band called West Indian Girl, and they were pretty rad in their own right.

Turns out, How to Destroy Angels just released a 7 minute song as their first sneak at the album called, "a drowning."  Its pretty nice.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I sussed out the meaning eventually, but I think it's a sort of testament to the kind of day I've had that it took some time.

I haven't listened to the new track yet, but I saw it on Twitter earlier and meant to, and now's a perfect time. Off I go.

And now I'm back. I'm really glad I listened to that; it's great. It reminds me of something, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out what.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-05 00:23:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As someone who has intimately deconstructed virtually every NIN song and who can play many by heart, I feel like my inherent ability to sniff out Reznoration was wasted on this.

Sounds pretty much identical to where he was at circa With Teeth. Not that that's a problem. I dig it. Everything that doesn't sound exactly like With Teeth sounds like other NIN, so I'm all warm and fuzzy.

EDIT: This will sound snotty and know-it-all-ish, but: the chorus moves most like "the line begins to blur," there's a lot of similarities texturally to "right where it belongs," and the ending with the anthemic reverb distortion guitars is straight up Fragile.

I'm falling in love with this rapidly.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And as someone who enjoys NIN for the most part but hasn't actually bought an album since "Pretty Hate Machine," I'd say that the track is succeeding with the washed and the unwashed alike. This bodes well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty Hate Machine drifts in and out of my first place position, but there's not a NIN album (or other Halo) I don't love. Curiously, perhaps my least favorite - or what is most frequently drifting into last place position - is The Downward Spiral.

Sidebar to that: Further Down the Spiral (the remix album) is always in my top three.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was 19 years old. I had a beat-up horseshit-brown Toyota station wagon, a girlfriend who never wore underwear, and Pretty Hate Machine on cassette tape.

It was a good summer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw. Wow, man, you just took me back to a thing I didn't even experience. That sounds like an awesome summer.

I had one of those summers a couple years ago. I already feel it becoming more and more a thing that happened once and ceasing to be a possibility of things to ever happen again.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're too young to think like that. Wait until you're on the wrong side of 35, when stuff really does cease to be … that thing you said better than I could.

(This is Trey's cue to get in here and tell us both to get off his lawn.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sure you're right, but trust me, that's a summer that will at least be associated with paradise for the rest of my life.

Anything could happen! I'm young! I'm almost skinny! Optimism!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're a very attractive young man. All the girls must surely swoon for you.

That girlfriend, by the way? The one from that summer? The one who went commando? I googled her not that long ago. She's married now.

I wonder if she lets her husband do all those things she let me do…

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No way she does.

If you want to enter into thunderdome here and have an ex-girlfriend-off, I pit my pokemons against your pokemons. One time she put in Passion of the Christ, proceeded to engage in devious behavior, and calculated an ending to co-happen with the death of Jesus.

I think this is funny and not chauvinistic. Hm.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have that experience every time I hear Wilco or Modest Mouse.

That girl was CRAZY, though. Fig knows.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Crazy. And cute.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Be it funny or chauvinistic, I bet they'd all be flattered to know we still think of them.

Your pokemons will beat my pokemons, I'm sure. (Is that how you say it? I am aware of, but unfamiliar with, the whole pokephenomenon.)

The one I'm thinking of was about five four, black hair down to her ass, and if she was a hundred pounds I'll eat my shoe. Just on this side of the slender-bony divide. Cute enough, I guess, in a conventional way, but beyond that for reasons I couldn't explain even then she just charmed the hell out of me.

And that was before I learned … the things I learned about her. Oh yes. There were things.

Of course, that was also back when I could keep up with her, so y'know, it worked. Until I got stupid and started treating her like crap all the time. I'm not sure which of us I was ultimately more annoyed at: me, for being a right jerk, or her for letting me get away with it as long as I did.

My most recent ex emailed me a few months back. She was in town for the weekend and wanted to get together. Fortunately I had the flu, so I was saved the trouble of figuring out what "I'd love to see you" meant.

Thumbs up Thumbs down