Topic: #58 - The World of Film Scores

This was a lot of fun.

Also, I think it's actually the longest episode of DIF ever, so, hooray! We've entertained you for half your work day!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #58 - The World of Film Scores

The Return of the King episode has it beat by 4 minutes. But that one had a movie dictating its length. This one...goddamn, you guys.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague + music. What else could happen?

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This might be the best episode of DIF.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Here's some epic / ambient / instrumental score recommendations that came up on another thread...

http://downinfront.net/forum/viewtopic. … 571#p29571

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've not finished listening yet (as I'm typing 'I Am The Doctor' is being played...awesome), but on the topic of underrated scores, I'd really recommend James Horner's Casper score.

EDIT: In regard to the best non-Spielberg/Lucas score by John Williams, I have to go with Home Alone. It might be a childhood thing, but damn I love that score.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2013-03-26 01:18:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Worst Williams score is undoubtedly Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Best non-lucas/Spielberg is Superman.

I'm baffled at your defense of the Star Trek reboot score, but the Incredibles soundtrack is undoubtedly fucking great.
With all the videogame talk, wish Jeremy Soule had gotten a shoutout.

Other than that, an amazing episode. Like I seriously would listen to a weekly version of that panel.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Best non-Lucas/Spielberg is .... umm... I'm gonna go with... The Poseidon Adventure.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

One of my favorite film score moments is actually an un-scored moment: the T-Rex attack on the SUVs in Jurassic Park. Not a note of music in that whole sequence, and it's a great example of how sometimes less (or none) is more.

Worst bit of scoring in my recent experience: John Williams's work on "Lincoln", wherein he felt obligated to interrupt Daniel Day-Lewis' brilliant performances with musical cues to remind us that DDL was saying something important and poignant.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I'm baffled at your defense of the Star Trek reboot score

I was particularly impressed by the score for this movie.  Its unique among modern film scoring in its style.  The music is very accented and rhythmic, and the themes are generally very bold.   I actually thought that Giacchino's score for this movie should have been nominated for best original score instead of his score for UP.

However, the very fact that it was for a reboot movie automatically disqualified it from being nominated  (and for that matter, barring the movie itself from being nominated.  Yay Academy prejudice.)

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It'd be good if it wasn't following up a series that has some of the most iconic sci-fi music of the last 40 years, to which it doesn't even come close. Opinions are gonna be subjective no matter what, but to me it's a kinda weak main theme when you stack it up against Horner's and Goldsmith's work, it doesn't convey the wonder and sense of exploration that I think it should.

The opening theme of Up collectively made half the grown men in america cry in a 5 minute span, so it absolutely deserved the nomination and win (it won right?).

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-03-26 18:02:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd say Giacchino's score for ST is quite good and even rousing, but it probably doesn't stand up tot eh best ST film scores. That said, scoring trends change, and I'm not sure you could get by with some of the old ST film scores now.

I think Giacchino's score for John Carter is better than his ST score. I like it a lot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got 20 minutes left. Home stretch.

The first score I really ever noticed wast The Rock (Zimmer). I was in 6th grade and we had it on VHS. I watched that movie so many times. I remember playing viola in my school orchestra and was wishing we could play that theme.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-03-27 04:35:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also I think Horner's themes for animated kids' movies like The Land Before Time, An American Tale, and Balto are freakin sweet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very entertaining Podcast. Made me wonder, does anyone know of any music-oriented Podcasts that include things like the random improv stuff that was in this episode? If not... dude, Teague, make it happen. I think it would make for a really interesting podcast.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like that idea, myself.  cool

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that you guys went for FOUR HOURS without stopping proves that there's a wealth of material to cover.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, I would absolutely listen to a weekly thing like this, that was super cool.

Also there's a potential for a Whose Line is it Anyway style music improv show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

but to me it's [the Star Trek theme] a kinda weak main theme when you stack it up against Horner's and Goldsmith's work, it doesn't convey the wonder and sense of exploration that I think it should.

The opening theme of Up collectively made half the grown men in america cry in a 5 minute span, so it absolutely deserved the nomination and win (it won right?).

Don't get me wrong I love loooove Horner.  He's probably in my top 5 favorite film composers.  I just liked the ST reboot score because it was something strikingly different that was actually good. 

As for Up, it did win the award for best original score.

Last edited by Hastings (2013-03-28 00:47:52)

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Resonance FM radio has The OST Show podcast...

http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archive … /shows/ost

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Only an hour in and it's already my favorite episode of a podcast ever.

Also, I am one of the many who's first film score to grab them was Star Wars.  I was 7 when Empire came out and I remember the first thing I asked my friend when he got back from seeing it was if they kept the same music. 

Now back to listening...

Last edited by dbngaa (2013-03-30 18:38:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking of film scores, the edit for The Boogeyman is close to being locked. So, would anybody like to try their hands at a bit of composing?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague, I request, no, I demand that you take the Super Teague theme Alex came up with and flesh it out into a full on thing.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This has been a great episode so far (I've got about 50 minutes left to listen to).

I was three when Star Wars hit the theaters in 1977. My dad was in to photography and stuff so he enjoyed films and I remember having this Super8 reel of an abridged version of Star Wars. It was black&white and silent but you could watch a few scenes. We also had this LP (record) of the Star Wars soundtrack. I remember being five or six years old and I would load in the record on my families HiFi and sit in front of the speaker and close my eyes and watch the movie clips in my head while I listened to the music.

When I was 13, Cd's were just coming out and my dad took me to Circuit City to get my first CD player and CD. I chose this, a compilation of Star Trek movie soundtracks, as my first CD. It had music from Star Trek the Motion Picture through Final Frontier. This introduced me to James Horner. Unfortunately, this disk, along with half my CD collection, was lost 15 years ago when vandals set fire to my car. But, being inspired by your DiF episode, I just purchased it again from Amazon.

I was in band for seven years (from fifth grade to my Junior year in high school). I played trumpet and french horn but I never did anything in music after high school. I was second trumpet my freshman year and first french horn my Junior year and had three solos in our marching band performance, but I never learned to read music. I could read notes and play the keys on the instrument, but I could not sight-read. I couldn't look at the notes on the page and figure out the melody, I had to hear the music then I could play it. So, even though I was passionate about movie soundtracks, and could play a musical instrument, I never got into composing but instead focused on the camera side of film making.

Now my kids share my interest in soundtracks because I still buy them and listen to them constantly. My twelve year old knows the names of movie composers. His favorite right now is John Powell (How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, and other Dreamworks flicks). But he also likes Trevor Rabin (National Treasure) and Hans Zimmer.

My favorites have changed over the years. I started with Williams, then Goldsmith and Horner, then to Zimmer. But recently I've really been mesmerized by Steve Jablonski. I could listen to The Island and Transformers all day long.

Thumbs up Thumbs down