Topic: And now for something completely different...some film scores!

You may remember my drunken piano noodling from the "The World of Film Scores" DIF (may it RIP). Well, that's generally what I do with myself all of the time and I'm working on making a career out of it. Teague provided some VFX for my most recent film, and he liked the music a lot and wanted me to post it on here. Unfortunately, festival restrictions...er...restrict me from posting anything about this film for quite a while. So in the meantime, I thought I'd post something just for shitz n gigz.

So here's two things I did back in 2012. The first is short and sweet: a re-score of the Final Fantasy XIII trailer. https://vimeo.com/66788345

If you want to hear the music just by itself: https://soundcloud.com/alexsmith-10/fin … trailer-re

So...video games are fun, but movies are better.

Here's my re-score of Saving Private Ryan's D-Day scene: https://vimeo.com/66788346

I say "re-score," but really, it's just a score--John Williams and Steven Spielberg mutually decided that this scene works best without music. Which is precisely why I tackled scoring it (even though I still think they're right).

I hope you guys enjoy, and if you do, there'll be more to come in the near future. Hopefully some real movies, when I'm finally allowed to show them.

Last edited by Alex (2013-05-23 22:10:02)

Re: And now for something completely different...some film scores!

Fuck and yes. Dude, you're doing exactly what I wish I had the wherewithal to do.

What DAW are you using? VSTs?

Really great stuff!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

auralstimulation wrote:

Fuck and yes. Dude, you're doing exactly what I wish I had the wherewithal to do.

What DAW are you using? VSTs?

Really great stuff!

Mac running Logic Pro. I have a slave PC running Windows 7 with all sorts of VI's...LASS 2, CineBrass, etc. Lots of fun stuff. I tried the Cubase trial a little while ago so I may be switching over to that soon (Logic pisses me off to no end), but it runs much better on a PC than a Mac, and moving my whole rig over would be quite a clusterfuck. We'll see.

Edit: Also, I just realized that (I presume) Holden gave me the subtitle of The Harbinger of Doom. I'm ok with this.

Last edited by Alex (2013-05-23 21:24:45)

Nice. I'm no composer, but I've cobbled together a tiny setup over the years. I'm currently using a trial of Reaper for my DAW, which I love and intend to purchase.

For VSTs, I've got various incarnations of EWQL Colossus, Orchestra and Gold. I also like Reason because it's fun to play with.

My issues are twofold. 1) I'm not classically trained or well versed from a theoretical or music appreciation standpoint, aside from my minor in music. 2) I'm a dad and have practically no time to sit down and invest in composing.

Some day, I hope to live the dream and create something worthwhile, even if it's only one finished piece.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) You don't have to be anything or anyone to create something or worth. As Mr. al Guhl says: "Your training is nothing. The will is everything."

2) If you don't have time work, listen. Find some great classical works that have inspired the great film composers and go from there. Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Holt's The Planets Suite, etc. Blast it, soak it up, and write when you can.

I give private lessons in composition, harmony, production, etc, so if that interests you I'd love to help you out. You're already clearly on your way--Reaper is awesomely powerful and is quickly becoming a contender in the DAW game. EWQL stuff is incredible (I've got Gold--amazing woodwinds). Reason rocks as well.

Any place I could hear your stuff?

These are both old, but they're finished, unlike most of my recent stuff which is all just snippets of stuff. I've got a new piece I'm working on, but it needs much more work until it's ready.

https://soundcloud.com/auralstimulation/frozen-glory

https://soundcloud.com/auralstimulation … ance-theme

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Frozen Glory: Nice! Nice riff, great guitar tone, pretty good mix overall (though at the end during the big cymbal hits it becomes obvious that your master compression is a bit heavy). The only real criticism I have is that I want to hear more action in the strings. You've started off with this really high-energy riff--why stagnate the energy with the sustained strings? The strings are a great idea--especially considering the subject matter--but if they were staccato, faster, and provided more than simply following the guitar's lead (i.e. adding a melody--bringing them to the forefront of what's going on, rather than just another texture), this track would really benefit from it. Try thinking outside of the "4 bars -> repeat -> something else but still similar -> repeat" sort of form. Instead, always sit back and listen while you're writing as if you were an audience member. When would they get bored? Why are they getting bored? Writing and arranging are all about that. Manipulate the audience's attention span via keeping the energy of the track up and keeping them guessing, and baby, you got yourself a stew.

Tour de France: Since it's a cover there isn't much to say in regards to writing, but the mix is a bit less clear than the last one. Consider taking the drums down a bit--the cymbals and hi hats are fighting with the guitar. And try cutting around 300hz on your master output to help open up both the low and high end. I could go in to more detail in regards to mixing if you'd like, but I don't know your current knowledge level.

Overall, nicely done. A couple tweaks and you're there. I can't wait to hear your newest piece!

Thanks so much for the input, Alex!

I am so horribly guilty of "4 bars -> repeat -> something else but still similar -> repeat" it's not even funny. I tend to do that because I run out of ideas, or time, or both. I've got way more unfinished bits of songs than songs and even then most of the finished pieces have that problem. It wasn't an issue when all I made was simplistic trance music, but I want to evolve into a more cinematic score sound (even though I don't know what I'm doing).

Mastering is something that still challenges me. These are older tracks and I'd like to think my mastering skills have improved a bit since then, but I don't really have anything to show for it yet. It's still damn hard to master, is what I'm trying to say.

Would you mind if I put up my work-in-progress piece and privately shared it with you on SoundCloud? I just want to be able to show you something more recent. It still has the same repetitive problem for now (it's still very rough), but I'd like to think the balancing of the different textures and channels has improved slightly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Absolutely! I'd be happy to take a look.

Writing is damn hard. I mean--before I arrived at Berklee, I was an instrumentalist only. Something clicked when I stepped foot in Boston, but it was still nearly 3 years before I finished a piece of music. And another year before I wrote something that I liked. And I was writing just about everyday over those 4 years.

I have an entire 3TB hard drive full of unfinished pieces of music, scraps of ideas...and another (physical) filing cabinet full of others. Probably hundreds or even thousands, just sitting there. Whether those ideas amount to anything--whether they're even touched at all--isn't the point. The point is that you simply write, write, write, and maybe one day you'll write something that truly fulfills you.

Trust me--it's impossible to run out of ideas. The whole "4 bars" thing is just temporary. It's a wall that you have to work through, but you can work through it. It generally stems not from a lack of ideas, but from loving your original 4 bar "chunk" of music too much--deviating from it can be a fearful act. In my case, at least; it took me a long time to realize this.

On top of all that, production is very difficult. A complete different world from writing, but in this age the two must and do inform each other. Sometimes I envy Beethoven for not having to deal with computers, mixing, etc, but then I realize that I'm being silly--what could he have done if he had complete and immediate control over his music? If he had a synthesizer?

So, keep cracking at all that as well. The internet is full of tons of great mixing tips, EQ and compression tutorials, etc.

Anyways, looking forward to the track!

I love this thread.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alex, you've really inspired me to keep going. You've hit the nail on the head with loving the 4 bar "chunk" of music and being afraid to branch out from there. That's me in a nutshell.

I'd like to think that eventually I'll break through that wall.

I'll let you know when I have something up. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Btw, I had a second listen to the soundtracks episode. That episode is so stupidly my bag it wasn't even funny. I was geeking out the whole time. What you guys were doing with adding the lower end counterpoint to the Tron theme: bad. fuckin'. ass.

Teague, we're gonna need another one of those, m'kay?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

holden

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't give you that title, but man, I wish I had.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

auralstimulation wrote:

Alex, you've really inspired me to keep going. You've hit the nail on the head with loving the 4 bar "chunk" of music and being afraid to branch out from there. That's me in a nutshell.

I'd like to think that eventually I'll break through that wall.

I'll let you know when I have something up. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Btw, I had a second listen to the soundtracks episode. That episode is so stupidly my bag it wasn't even funny. I was geeking out the whole time. What you guys were doing with adding the lower end counterpoint to the Tron theme: bad. fuckin'. ass.

Teague, we're gonna need another one of those, m'kay?

Ha, as soon as I move out to LA! It might be little bit, though...

Side-note: I'm not seeing that episode in the sidebar of the main page. WHAT THE HELL HOLDEN.

In regards to taking the time--no problem. Music is meant to be shared.

That one's on me, actually. The four-hour episodes (Abyss, Titanic, Watchmen, LOTR's, and this) all need special treatment to get WAYDM-ified. I'll do that one now.

(Holden Hill is not a dick.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah, the ol' switcherHolden.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/loss_for_words.gif

I don't know what to believe any more.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have no idea what you're referring to, but I like it.

This is my kinda thread.

I'd love another (17 or so) podcasts talking about scoring and soundtracks.  it's obviously harder to do, but it might be interesting to cover an entire movie and breakdown the scoring and how it evolves and changes over the film....when themes repeat and how it relates to the action on screen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shackman wrote:

This is my kinda thread.

I'd love another (17 or so) podcasts talking about scoring and soundtracks.  it's obviously harder to do, but it might be interesting to cover an entire movie and breakdown the scoring and how it evolves and changes over the film....when themes repeat and how it relates to the action on screen.

Yes. YES.

You know what? I might just...you know...do that. I could already talk about, like, a hundred scores/movies, and analyzing others would give me an excuse to do just that...

Teague...podcast via Skype? Somehow?

Edit: You know what, you've got me thinking. There's one huge problem that a scoring podcast taking one movie at a time faces. And that's the fact that to really analyze it and see what's going on, like what you're talking about, you've got to really listen and watch a few times--especially if you aren't a musician. The big "hey here's the giant main theme!" moments are easy, but I guarantee you can't hum what's going on when Ben Kenobi is giving Luke his father's lightsaber. Moments like that are where the real meat of a score is, and because 90% of big budget feature films are scored really well, you don't notice 90% of a film's music at all. It just fits right into the drama and right into your subconscious. As it should.

So we'd have to pause and rewind and stuff if we want there to be an actual discussion and for the people at home to follow it. Doing the "aaannd hit play...now" format would fall apart. I think.

Last edited by Alex (2013-05-30 04:04:08)

@Shackman:
Brilliant idea. Let's start with something dead easy. How about Return of the King? That'd be a piece of cake, right Alex? smile

It would also get problematic from a copyright standpoint. Unless it's considered educational. Is that a thing? If something's being analysed for educational purposes it's okay to use?

Because if it is, I'd eschew the audience needing to do the pause and rewind stuff and just do it on the show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh my god I could talk about LOTR all damn day.

I'd have to double-check, but as we 1) aren't selling it/making money off of it, 2) aren't actually using any parts of the film other than to say "we're checking this movie out today, watch it with us," and/or 3) using another entity's likeness (as DI--I mean, FIYH so coldly found out), then there's no copyright infringement.

But let's say none of that's a problem and I decided that this podcast will include the pause/rewind stuff.

That would take a long time. Your podcast is already +/- 2 hours without all of that. In a linear format, the time is fine. But when you're stopping, rewinding, pausing to talk, and going again, you could add some serious, serious time. Especially if you've already seen the movie--you'd find yourself 2 hours in but only halfway through the movie, and I guarantee people who could antsy.

Maybe this sort of thing would make a better blog?

Fun Fact: WAYDM DID talk about LOTR all damn day.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I WAS THERE!!!!

<- I got a circle for it big_smile

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Tomahawk wrote:

Fun Fact: WAYDM DID talk about LOTR all damn day.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is WAYDM?