Topic: The Rubik's Cube Thread

So, after seeing Teague speed through a Rubik's Cube during a live show, I went and got one for myself. I have now finally solved it for the first time in my life, taking an incredible two hours to do so.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/980180_598865973468297_1655765676_o.jpg

Saniss prompted me to start a 'Who's the fastest' type thread. So for the first and probably last time, I am at the top of the leaderboard. Get solving!

LEADERBOARD

1. Owen: Two hours

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Rubik's Cube Thread

You are putting a lot of trust in folk telling the truth here, Owen big_smile

Ummmm.....I did it in, uh, let's say 7 seconds. Not the record. but, you know, it's cool, I don't mind that. I'll get better, you know? Not that I like to boast or anything, it's no big deal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got my eyes on you, sir.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this thread.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, single me out, like I'm some devious conniving Scotsman........oh, wait, that is exactly what I am. Carry on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The seven seconds wasn't the time it took to open the box by any chance?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait.....that wasn't the challenge? Ah, bollocks. I'm out!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I never managed to solve a rubik's cube back when they came out, although I could solve two sides. I think I COULD solve the pyramid puzzle, which just had four sides. That one was also easier to take apart and put together, iirc smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have never finished a Rubick's Cube.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Anyone here, Will Smith?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There you go. 2'14". Not so bad, although I had a bit of trouble with the last layer. Sometimes I get stuck in a loop of combinations for some reason.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Damn.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw, no, I call bullshit! There was nothing French in that video!

*secretly in awe* *Will Smith is awesome*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I used to be able to do it in under five minutes, but it's been awhile, not sure I even remember how.

Looks like it's time to dig out the cube.

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spork wrote:

I want that on a T-shirt.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My friend is a ridiculous genius and can do, if I remember correctly, a 12-sided cube in under 2 minutes. I'll go and dig up the video posthaste.

Yeah, I've got a friend like that too, I don't think he has any vids. But yeah, dude is nuts.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Invid wrote:

I never managed to solve a rubik's cube back when they came out, although I could solve two sides. I think I COULD solve the pyramid puzzle, which just had four sides. That one was also easier to take apart and put together, iirc smile

This is the beginner error: You do NOT do "side by side", you (generally) do it layer by layer.

There are some more holistic methods, but I never learned those. I've never really timed myself doing it.... should try that.

These days I keep rustily misremembering my "moves", particularily for the bottom "layer", so I keep mixing up the "swap two corners" with the "rotate three corners" and it takes me a bit of extra time when I snafu that.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-05-30 05:43:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am terrible at the Cube, so for those uniformed, how do you mean by "layers" versus side by side?

I can imagine it, but I want to make sure it is right.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
Spork wrote:

I want that on a T-shirt.

http://www.fleximoviedownloads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Transformer-2007-More-Than-Meets-the-Eye-Movie-Poster-02.jpg

Close enough?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By "Layers" I mean you solve the "top" side first (including the edges around it - super-rookies thinks they have "solved one side" just coz it is all red, but it isn't "solved" unless the edges around it have all the right colors too). Then you solve the 2nd "row", and then you solve the bottom (generally by first solving the corners and then the middle pieces)

The techniques I use are probably not "the best" but are stuff me and my friends came up with ourselves in school, oh, 30 years ago.

Here's my rough step-by-step description.  I have only like 4 "moves" I know, and I can't explain them, coz they are all muscle-memory, and every time I've tried to EXPLAIN to someone what I do, I inveriably end up doing slowly (to show it) and holding the cube "wrong" compared to my muscle memory, so I screw up doing the "move" ... so no, you won't get details, just a principle:

Step 1: You do the "top", well, you just do it, it's simple enough to just figure out, you need no special "moves", but make sure it color matches all around the edge too.

Step 2: Align the center squares under the right color of the "edges" of the top side.

Step 3: Fix the non-center parts in the 2nd "row". There is only one "move" you need to know to do this, it's a "move" that switches place of 2 middle pieces. You just align the piece you want in the right place on the bottom side, and do the move sequence... what used to be on that particlar spot in the bottom is now in your "middle row" instead. Repeat this until "middle row" is done.

Step 4: Rotate bottom side so that the corners have the right POSITION (so the colors of the sides matches the colors that EXIST on the corner - ignore the rotations of the corners). If that is impossible, you need to swap two corners. If so, you need to use the "swap two corners" move.

Step 5: Now the corners are in the right place, but probably rotated wrong. You use a move that "rotates three corners" to do this.

Step 6: Now your corners are rotated correctly and in the right place. Only bottom side "middle pieces" are wrong. You use a variant of the "middle piece moving" thing from step 2, only when used on the bottom it actually swaps place on 3 "middle pieces", so you need to be mindful of orientation and sequence to do the "three piece shuffle" until things are in the right spot.

I could make a video, but you wouldn't be able to follow it due to the Muscle-memory thing. smile

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-05-30 10:24:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen, you're still first on your leaderboard. That's not fair!  big_smile

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

53 seconds. I think my record is in the 30s, I'm losing my touch.  tongue

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I hate you.

My method has always been the same - it's the exact one MasterZap described. But I don't think it allows me to get it done in under 2 minutes most of the time. I couldn't follow your method, Teague, but it seems very different. Could you describe it a bit?

Last edited by Saniss (2013-05-30 23:54:14)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm now down to 17 minutes, damn you both.

Updated Leaderboard:

Teague: 00:53
Saniss: 2:14
Owen: 17:00

Thumbs up Thumbs down