Re: Top Five thread.

When Dorkman and I were on the plane flying to Washington, we had network news on all of our little monitors. That was the day they found bombs in planes from Yemen. Future fun!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

frankasu03 wrote:

Top 5 Movies they'll never show on a plane flight:

5) Executive Decision ('96)
4) Passenger 57 ('92)
3) Cast Away (2000)
2) United 93 (2006)
1) Alive ('92)

Question...

Where the hell did that one come from???!?!

It's anarchy in here people, and I'll have no part of it.! BAH!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Why does this keep happening?! Answer the previous top 5 challenge, then pose your own. It's a perfectly cromulent concept.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/858/cbg.gif

Excuse me, the neologism "cromulent," in the context in which it was coined, clearly means something along the lines of "valid" or "acceptable," and not "straightforward" as you have used it here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

It's a perfectly acceptable concept.

I think it works just fine. Also, I can't see that picture for some reason, so I don't know if that clarifies that you are making a joke.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry about my topic. I did not understand the rules of the game. I'm sure my top 5 "embiggened" no one.

Here's a new Top 5: Films with 'In Living Color' Alumn.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DoctorSubmarine wrote:
Zarban wrote:

It's a perfectly acceptable concept.

I think it works just fine.

The grammar works fine, but in context the definition doesn't.

DoctorSubmarine wrote:

Also, I can't see that picture for some reason, so I don't know if that clarifies that you are making a joke.

It's the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Really, if everyone made a habit of reading ALL my posts with his voice, there'd probably be a lot less misunderstanding.

frankasu03 wrote:

Sorry about my topic. I did not understand the rules of the game. I'm sure my top 5 "embiggened" no one.

Here's a new Top 5: Films with 'In Living Color' Alumn.

I am thoroughly enjoying this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Could have done all five with just Jim Carrey, but to play fair:

1.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jim Carrey)
2.  Requiem for a Dream (Marlon Wayans)
3.  Hollywood Shuffle (Kim Wayans)
4.  Quiz Show (Kelly Coffield)
5.  Beverly Hills Cop (Damon Wayans)

Next:  Top Five awful performances by great actors

Top Five awful performances by great actors

1: Keanu Reeves' intro in Matrix Revolutions.
2: Christian Bale's gravely voice in The Dark Night.
3: Sam Jackson in SW I-III.
4: Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter 1.
5: Rupert Grint in Harry Potter 1. (sorry, ran out of entries here)

Next: Top Five SHOTS in big studio films(e.g. we've HEARD of, at least, no artsy-smartsy bullshit here)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. The shot of the various degrees and awards decorating the wall of the psychiatrist in Garden State, panning up eventually to reveal one more glued to the ceiling.

2. The ping-pong-ball sequence/shot in the car, in Children of Men.

3. Water rippling in the footprint of a T-Rex, Jurassic Park.

4. Any shot from the end of The Fountain.

5. The crane up to the loudspeaker in Shawshank.

Top five creative uses of the camera, in movies.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not worthy of answering this one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) The one take handheld steadi-cam shot that goes into the pool and out in "I Am Cuba"
2) The Trombone shot used on Roy Schneider's face in "Jaws"
3) The computer controlled Dolly/Timelapse of Ellen Burstyn cleaning in "Requiem for a Dream"
4) The Interrotron rig low angle that gets the both Bob McNamara's and Errol Morris' face in "The Fog of War"
5) The first bullet time rig in "Matrix"

The top five Documentaries that don't feel like documentaries.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-12-03 19:44:46)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not worthy either but here it is anyway.

1 - Rocky. When he runs up the steps during his jog he's being followed by the inventor of the steadycam. It's nothing now but at the time that was pretty slick. Compare it to Chinatown 2yrs earlier, in the scene were they find Mulray's body, the POV moves up a little hill which had to be hidden by 2 cops walking in front of the camera.

2 - The Passenger. At the end they dismantled a breakaway wall to let the camera (apparently) go right through a window.

3 - Contact. I know it's CG but when the girl runs to the medicine cabinet, etc.

4 - Raging Bull. When we follow De Niro into the ring the steadycam guy follows then sits on a crane and gets lifted. It's one of those things were you go 'big deal' after you hear how it was done but it was clever for the time.

5 - The Matrix. Say what you will about the 'bullet time' thing, it's creative.

edit: Aaand Eddie beat me by 4min.

Last edited by beldar (2010-12-03 23:45:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The shot from I am Cuba.  Handheld, hand crank 16mm Box Camera.  One take.  PT Anderson admittedly stole this shot for Boogie Nights.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-12-03 20:34:51)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How did TWO rounds on "uses of the camera in movies" go by without mention of the opening of TOUCH OF EVIL?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's insane.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't really associate long tracking shots with 'creative'.

To me, the way Tokyo Story keeps the camera at waist-height for the first half of the movie (because they sit on the floor in Japan, or something) is more creative than that 8min opening of The Player (which i like and hope DIF will do one day), which is cool and a tongue-in-cheek homage, but not really creative.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you're here vidina, i'm watching season 2 of the X-Files and i just saw this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2lu6eq0.jpg

You're not suffering from rapid aging, are you? smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not Vidina and I'm not from Lofoten, but I'm gonna comment anyway.

When I first saw that episode (Død Kalm) I was pretty excited by Mulder and Scully coming to Norway.

Then they met a guy with the last name 'Trondheim', which doesn't really work as a Norwegian last name. The supposedly Norwegian language spoken in the episode is all wrong as well, but the last name thing somehow bothered me more.

Thinking back on it, I'm actually pretty sure all the other last names in that episode were more Swedish than Norwegian.

Yes, There IS a difference! And it matters!

Last edited by Hansen (2010-12-14 23:53:47)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think these 2 lines from The Thing can explain how the oddity you describe could in fact occur in an American TV show:

"Hey Sweden!"
"They're Norwegian, Mac."

/cue X-Files music

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:

1. The shot of the various degrees and awards decorating the wall of the psychiatrist in Garden State, panning up eventually to reveal one more glued to the ceiling.

I think you mean tilt, not pan.

Trey, you got a high five for me buddy?

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Damn right I do.   

/five

beldar wrote:

If you're here vidina, i'm watching season 2 of the X-Files and i just saw this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2lu6eq0.jpg

You're not suffering from rapid aging, are you? smile

The most annoying thing about that episode(amongst MANY) is that it isn't even shot some place even REMOTELY similar to Lofoten. And let's not get into the language, names, and the fact that the ship left LEEDS. Look it up wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

The top five Documentaries that don't feel like documentaries.

1) Roger and Me. We follow Moore on a quest to ambush the CEO of GM in an embarrassing interview. Along the way we see the actual subject of the doc - the effect of GM's layoffs on people, like getting evicted on Christmas Eve.

2) Connections. It's about how scientific discoveries are linked. The host is so affable that you forget the lifetime's worth of study he's throwing at you. I like to have a few drinks and watch him describe the military contraption next to him (they call it a G.P.S. receiver), or holding a mainframe disk pack (100 million characters of information), or watch intel employees crawl around on their hands and knees on a 20'x20' printout of a microchip. The end of the series is great where he sums up our options for the future.

3) Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Filmed by Francis Coppola's wife during Apocalypse Now. It's as much a soap opera as a 'making of'.

4) Lost in La Mancha. Terry Gilliam starts directing a movie. On the 2nd day we watch a flash flood wash the set away. Then we see the star hurt his back while on horseback. Game over, man. A $15m insurance claim and they own the screenplay rights for the next 6yrs. I'm amazed any movie can get made after watching this.

5) Koyaanisqatsi. I like to crank it up to 11 and treat it as a music video.

Next, top 5 stunts that made you smile.

http://imcdb.org/i006490.jpg
(From It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1)  Without question, Yakima Kanute's climbing under a moving Stagecoach during "Stagecoach."  If you haven't seen it you're missing out.  Greatest there ever was.

2) Bullit, the car chase scene.  I count it as a stunt in the amount of drifting and jumping that McQueen performed himself.
'
3) Tony Jaa's Fire Legged flying knee from Ong Bak.

4)  The Man Who Would Be King, Joe Powell cuts an actual rope bridge and swings from it.  No trickery or gigging, just an actual rope bridge over an actual ravine.  Breathtaking.

5)  Tony Jaa doing another flying knee, this time onto a woman hanging from a helicopter over Australia.

Next, top five albums you listened to in 2010.  Not that came out in, or you bought in, but just ones you listened to the most in 2010.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down