Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug teaser trailer

auralstimulation wrote:

There are definitely some cartoonish effects. I guess you could say it's staying consistent with LOTR in that respect.

By "staying consistent," don't you mean "it's completely opposite?" The thing that I loved about LOTR is how gritty and real it was. I can lose myself in those movies because, oddly enough, makeup and miniatures (err, big-iatures) make for a deeper cinematic experience than CGI. The Hobbit looks like a video game, and I'm completely aware that I'm watching an actor reacting to a green screen.

It's Star Wars all over again.

Syl wrote:

I do get that in every Tolkien adaptation there will be a female part expanded or inserted, as he is mostly writing about dudes (with a few exeptions here and there), but seriosly, who is that elven chick?

Given the time in which the books were written, I've always felt that the low quantity of female characters in Tolkien's work is actually a good thing in terms of feminism. All of his female characters are strong and unique; focusing on what a single female could do was far more meaningful and interesting than having a ton of women in the book/film simply to have them there. Quality over quantity brings the characters' allegorical and poetic importance to the forefront.

Consider Eowyn's story: she is a symbol of feminine strength. In the Middle Earth mythology, that is her role--the idealized feminine realized through struggle. Her entire story revolves around being doubted as a woman and then proving that women can be just as strong, or stronger/more influential, than men. If every woman character did that, it wouldn't matter as much.

And I know Tolkien said he hated allegory. We all know that's bullshit.

Jackson's approach seems to be the opposite: rather than trying to underline a woman's story line in order to outline the genders' strengths, he's poising a preemptive strike by simply throwing in a female character with a lot of screen time but without much depth. It's like he's saying, "See? She has tons of screen time! Don't get mad at me about there being so many dudes!" As if he would be the one to blame in the first place.

Again, quality over quantity--except Jackson picked the wrong one.

Syl wrote:

Btw I still dont get why they go for the hobbit and not for the story of Hurin´s Sons or the story of Luthien and Beren, if they want to go all lenghty and epic on it. Those are material for the format they want.

The Tolkien estate won't give them the rights and they never will.

auralstimulation wrote:

What I missed from the Hobbit was the colour grading they did back in LOTR. There was a desaturated, subtle blue-y green tint  to the world and they weren't afraid to get grainy. That made the whole thing feel so much more like an old story. Couple that with models and prosthetics and PJ's never ending mantra of "it has to feel like it's real" and you end up with a world you feel you could walk right into.

Ah, never mind--looks like we agree after all.

Duuude, remember when Faramir is taking Frodo/Sam/Gollum to Osgiliath? It's basically black and white with a bit of green. Such amazing color grading.

Last edited by Alex (2013-06-12 15:02:43)

Alex wrote:

Over-use of CG was the Prequels' least problem. Poor child actors, mismatched casting, monotone line delivery, infantile Jar-Jar, flat directing, and ruining the original trilogy with unwanted wtf revelations (midi-chlorians) are some of Lucas' many sins.

Peter Jackson hasn't quite stooped so low yet. And he hasn't fucked with the original trilogy.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alex wrote:

Over-use of CG was the Prequels' least problem. Poor child actors, mismatched casting, monotone line delivery, infantile Jar-Jar, flat directing, and ruining the original trilogy with unwanted wtf revelations (midi-chlorians) are some of Lucas' many sins.

Peter Jackson hasn't quite stooped so low yet. And he hasn't fucked with the original trilogy.

Fair point. Though, many of the problems with the story are (thankfully) taken care of because this prequel was already written.

Alex wrote:

Though, many of the problems with the story are (thankfully) taken care of because this prequel was already written.

So long as you willfully ignore all the brute force hack and slash work to get all that extra shit in there.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Alex wrote:
Syl wrote:

I do get that in every Tolkien adaptation there will be a female part expanded or inserted, as he is mostly writing about dudes (with a few exeptions here and there), but seriosly, who is that elven chick?

Given the time in which the books were written, I've always felt that the low quantity of female characters in Tolkien's work is actually a good thing in terms of feminism. All of his female characters are strong and unique; focusing on what a single female could do was far more meaningful and interesting than having a ton of women in the book/film simply to have them there. Quality over quantity brings the characters' allegorical and poetic importance to the forefront.

Consider Eowyn's story: she is a symbol of feminine strength. In the Middle Earth mythology, that is her role--the idealized feminine realized through struggle. Her entire story revolves around being doubted as a woman and then proving that women can be just as strong, or stronger/more influential, than men. If every woman character did that, it wouldn't matter as much.

And I know Tolkien said he hated allegory. We all know that's bullshit.

Jackson's approach seems to be the opposite: rather than trying to underline a woman's story line in order to outline the genders' strengths, he's poising a preemptive strike by simply throwing in a female character with a lot of screen time but without much depth. It's like he's saying, "See? She has tons of screen time! Don't get mad at me about there being so many dudes!" As if he would be the one to blame in the first place.

Again, quality over quantity--except Jackson picked the wrong one.

Respectfully, regarding Tolkien and allegory, he did hate it and he that isn't what he wrote in LOTR or the Hobbit. Allegory is literally a 1 to 1 representation of a person to another, such as Lewis' Narnia where Aslan is Jesus. Tolkien was not favorable towards allegory, and his writings, his letters all reflect that. He drew inspiration from mythological and historical figures, but they were not directly a representation.

I believe LOTR is a metaphor in some places, but not everything can be viewed as a metaphor and I don't think anything could be described as an allegory in terms of TOLKIEN's intent.

I know that Jackson has his own vision and I will be curious to see the Hobbit played out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Wow, that's really sad to hear PJ do such an apparent 360 (:P) on the use of miniatures. And ironically, the ability to swoop in and do any camera movement with the CGI sets is that the film becomes much less real. Maybe that's the intention, to make this trilogy a 'ride'?

Maybe it'll be entered into the Best Animation category at next year's Academy Awards.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe it'll be entered into the Best Animation category at next year's Academy Awards.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/70d0a8404c4019681492ca64b05557fe/tumblr_mnzifjNcE61s9msopo1_400.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

fireproof78 wrote:

Respectfully, regarding Tolkien and allegory, he did hate it and he that isn't what he wrote in LOTR or the Hobbit. Allegory is literally a 1 to 1 representation of a person to another, such as Lewis' Narnia where Aslan is Jesus. Tolkien was not favorable towards allegory, and his writings, his letters all reflect that. He drew inspiration from mythological and historical figures, but they were not directly a representation.

I believe LOTR is a metaphor in some places, but not everything can be viewed as a metaphor and I don't think anything could be described as an allegory in terms of TOLKIEN's intent.

Excellent point. I tend to equate metaphor and allegory, and that's definitely not right. Thanks for the correction.

I still haven't seen the first one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alex wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Excellent point. I tend to equate metaphor and allegory, and that's definitely not right. Thanks for the correction.

Its all good. Glad I could help smile
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/848/09b/7af/resized/compassionate-shark-friend-meme-generator-it-s-alright-bro-i-feel-you-02ec63.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The "reaction video" trend reaches the Singularity: http://io9.com/hobbit-actors-fuel-the-c … -513171900

Yes, the internet is folding in on itself. The dream is collapsing!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's adorable. Can't wait to see the actors reacting to the reaction video of the actors reacting to the reaction video.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-06-13 18:41:46)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

auralstimulation wrote:

Yes, the internet is folding in on itself. The dream is collapsing!

With Google Glass reversed, people can film themselves watching the whole movie. That's bound to be a thing by 2015.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Smaug looks like the dragon from SHREK.

Xtroid wrote:

I really wish you hadn't said that, 'cause I see it, too, and now I can't ignore it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Xtroid wrote:

YES! That's exactly the way to describe it! I kept thinking it reminded me of something, and there it is!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Okay, now you're just making shit up.

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/smaug.jpg

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/shrek.jpg

Smaug looks far more like Vermithrax Pejorative or the Reign of Fire dragon. 

But even so, they're all noticeably different in detail...

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/vermithrax.jpg

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/reign.jpg

If there's a resemblance, it's because they're all dragons.

EDIT:  Speaking of which, we should totally do a Reign of Fire commentary.

More Dots!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha, you're right - Smaug resembles Onyxia a bit too - especially in the way their mouths are shaped...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090815062361/wowwiki/images/8/85/Onyxia2.png

I turned the trailer off just before Smaug appeared as I didn't want to be spoiled on what he looked like, but is that real Trey? Looks like a cartoon.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is what Smaug looks like in the trailer, yes. So, sadly, you have been spoiled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love how the entire Internet is writing off Smaug based on 3 seconds of footage.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, not the entire internet. Some folk on here haven't. big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down