Re: Suggest a movie!

redxavier wrote:

I only remember Willem Dafoe's hilarious performance in Boondock Saints... the rest was a bit shite (or at least forgettable).

If that were true, why does everybody and their mother have that stupid t-shirt with the two leads on the front and their prayer on the back?

Don't get me wrong, good movie overall.  Just HATE that stupid t-shirt.  And people who memorize that prayer.  You're not cool.  You didn't invent it.  Bugger yourself off.

Well, aren't you glad those idiots now identify themselves for you with their clothing choices?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Boondock Saints gets a lot of love from some people, but they seem to be the same people who also give a lot of love to Roger Dodger and Bottle Rocket, two films that I despise at a level I normally reserve for despotic governments.

I have not seen either film so I can't provide another data point.

Ben wrote:

If that were true, why does everybody and their mother have that stupid t-shirt with the two leads on the front and their prayer on the back?

I have never seen this t-shirt you speak of. I'm sure it exists and I can imagine it pretty easily, but I don't find it as prevalent in my area as it apparently is in yours.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Perhaps it's just my proximity to Boston/NYC, because I've honestly seen it on New Yorkers more than Bostonians.  It's just... I dunno, it seems like one of those Hot Topic shirts.  And when I shirt for a cool indie hits Hot Topic and I see it every other day, it seems to me the movie has jumped the shark (not proper use of the sentence, but the idea is there).

Now, on the other hand, the guy who walked into our store the other day with a THE BEETS: KILLER TOFU TOUR t-shirt gets applause in my book.  Now that's taking mainstream to obscure, rather than obscure to the mainstream.

here take it

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 … _00000.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha. I like Trey's.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Probably already been suggested, but I gotta say it.

Double Feature:
Spider-Man 3
X-Men 3

Make it happen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool! Except for all the misspellings. Seriously.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

You do Mighty Ducks yet?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ben wrote:

Now, on the other hand, the guy who walked into our store the other day with a THE BEETS: KILLER TOFU TOUR t-shirt gets applause in my book.  Now that's taking mainstream to obscure, rather than obscure to the mainstream.

You know that's from the TV show Doug, right?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have that song on my iPod.

Billy West gave it to me.

As you were.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TrowaGP02a wrote:
Ben wrote:

You know that's from the TV show Doug, right?

Yes, I know.  Doug was a mainstream television show, however, The Beets Killer Tofu tour was only mentioned a few times.  Therefore, an obscure reference about a mainstream show.  Furthermore, the store I work at has lots of employees about my age, so they grew up with Doug.  And they didn't get the shirt.

Network.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

okay, you've done UP, you've done Monsters Inc., it's time to do The Incredibles!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love NETWORK hardcore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Obviously, you guys should do Hackers.

What a great movie.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Yay, Orbital.

*liquid-dances out of the thread*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holden Hill wrote:

Obviously, you guys should do Hackers.

What a great movie.

I think I can speak for Cloe, so that's two presenters.

Hackers I haz not seen.  But The Incredibles? I'm so there.

Trey wrote:

Hackers I haz not seen.  But The Incredibles? I'm so there.

Ba-ra bah! ba-raaaaooh!

Oop, sorry, wrong thread.

Hey, you guys should do Raiders of the Lost Ark.....

What? Whaddya mean live show? Dammit!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anybody suggested Stardust yet?

Yeah, definite maybe.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ben wrote:

Has anybody suggested Stardust yet?

One of my most re-read books.  Movie wasn't what I was expecting, but I can't say I was disappointed.

I saw the movie before reading the book. I prefer (and love) the movie, actually. I had the same experience with KICK-ASS. I seem to like what Matthew Vaughn brings to the table.

Not that I hate the book, Gaiman's prose is always literary comfort food and plot-wise it feels very much like an old fairy tale which is exactly the point. But Vaughn diverged in precisely the right way, IMO, to make the story cinematically satisfying.

Thumbs up Thumbs down