Re: Suggest a movie!

Too bad they didn't work on that ending every morning for weeks.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yes, we're all agreed the ending is wonky.  Doesn't invalidate what they got right.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I disagree. I think the ending is brilliant. The whole movie establishes that Max is a man of routine and habit while Vincent stresses improvisation. In that final shootout the roles are reversed, Max improvises by shooting wildly while Vincent goes with his standard routine of triple tapping. Vincent falls victim to the very concept he derides over the course of the movie.

Further more, the ending also contains a bit of irony. During the first stop cab stop, Vincent tells Max that he was right about the time it took to get there, Max responds that he "got lucky with the lights". The lights during the train shootout flicker off and allow Max to get the upper hand.

I remember liking COLLATERAL but I remember almost no specifics about the film itself. Only that it's one of the few cases I didn't mind the "video look," and the part of the chase sequence at the train station was cut in a really confusing way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

I remember liking COLLATERAL but I remember almost no specifics about the film itself. Only that it's one of the few cases I didn't mind the "video look," and the part of the chase sequence at the train station was cut in a really confusing way.

What do you mean by "video look"?

It was shot digital with an open shutter. It has the same effect as those "motion smoothing" televisions of making things look and feel like they were shot on a video camera (associated with being more "real" since people record their real lives with video) rather than film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

/too lazy for a joke about The Hobbit

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

It was shot digital with an open shutter. It has the same effect as those "motion smoothing" televisions of making things look and feel like they were shot on a video camera (associated with being more "real" since people record their real lives with video) rather than film.

Excuse my obliviousness but that what you're talking about sounds similar to boosting up the FPS. Mann's latest flick, Public Enemies, has that odd non-cinematic appearance going for it. I think Collateral was shot at the standard 24 frames per second and I've never noticed the disconnect like I did with Public Enemies.

According to IMDB-

Cinematographic process
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
HDCAM (1080p/24) (source format)
Super 35 (source format)

If that means anythng to anybody....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's altering the shutter speed, not the FPS, but it has a similar effect. When shooting film, a frame of film is by default exposed for half the time it's in the gate, the other half being used to advance each frame forward. So a frame of film shot at 24fps (i.e. 1/24th of a second per frame) has a shutter speed of 1/48th of a second. This is also known as a 180-degree shutter, since the shutter is a spinning disc and the shutter angle is how much of the disc is open to allow light through.

Because digital doesn't have physical media to physically move, it doesn't need to close the shutter for any longer than the equivalent of a couple degrees, so you can have effectively a 360-degree shutter, or 1/24th second exposure per 1/24th sec frame. Longer exposure means more motion blur per frame, which makes it feel something like having a higher framerate capturing the motion.

PUBLIC ENEMIES was shot at 24fps just like COLLATERAL was. But the style feels appropriate for COLLATERAL and not for PUBLIC ENEMIES (and also the effect is less pronounced in darker imagery).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dorkman

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lol

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

It's altering the shutter speed, not the FPS, but it has a similar effect. When shooting film, a frame of film is by default exposed for half the time it's in the gate, the other half being used to advance each frame forward. So a frame of film shot at 24fps (i.e. 1/24th of a second per frame) has a shutter speed of 1/48th of a second. This is also known as a 180-degree shutter, since the shutter is a spinning disc and the shutter angle is how much of the disc is open to allow light through.

Because digital doesn't have physical media to physically move, it doesn't need to close the shutter for any longer than the equivalent of a couple degrees, so you can have effectively a 360-degree shutter, or 1/24th second exposure per 1/24th sec frame. Longer exposure means more motion blur per frame, which makes it feel something like having a higher framerate capturing the motion.

PUBLIC ENEMIES was shot at 24fps just like COLLATERAL was. But the style feels appropriate for COLLATERAL and not for PUBLIC ENEMIES (and also the effect is less pronounced in darker imagery).

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/04/04/jackie.jpg

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2011-04-20 21:47:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

let me give it a try, and correct me if I get it wrong...if you shoot 24 fps with a video camera, but your shutter is set at 1/24th; you'll have that video look that you see in Public Enemies.  If you change your shutter to 1/48th, you'd get the more cinematic look.  Every Video camera, even the Red One, has a scanning rate for the sensor; which is essentially expressed in FPS; and they have a shutter speed setting.  The shutter speed is completely independent from the FPS.  It's confusing at first, but once you get a little into it, it begins to make sense both practically and mathematically. 

In film, you have both FPS and shutter angle.  And shutter angle is a whole 'nother can of worms...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wikipedia, 'splain.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

I disagree. I think the ending is brilliant. ... Vincent falls victim to the very concept he derides over the course of the movie.

Thematically lovely. Logically preposterous. Cruise's last hit happens to be a personal acquaintance of the man he happened to choose to drive him. That man wrestles a gun away from a cop, escapes that cop, catches up before the target is murdered, AND outguns the professional assassin.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I think he explained it pretty well, myself. I made the image 'cuz I was like "well, bam."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought he explained it pretty well too.  Just seems like from the Jackie Chan image that someone was still confused...  So I tried to explain it a different way for Kyle's sake.  Whether I did or not is up for debate...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jackie Chan AND Dorkman on the same page? Too.....much.....awesomeness.......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's see if this works.

dorkman

: dorkman : (without the spaces)

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Someone very industrious should create one for the cast members.  A nice way to punctuate a post. 

For the record, I am not that industrious person.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holden, that's fucking genius! Thankfully, there's a 'Preview reply' button as having that much awesomness on the one page may splode the internet big_smile

(although, the pic is that big, it would probably go onto the next page but I just couldn't take that chance, dammit!)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That pic is totally making it into the enhancements.

holden

: holden :

I thought it was fitting. pimp

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I can dig pimp

ZangrethorDigital.ca