Re: Grab Bag 3

I refuse to live in a world where Fast & Furious 6 is considered to be a better film than Iron Man 3. It has been a shit year, sure but I'm not accepting that, sorry big_smile

Hell, the Evil Dead remake was a better film than Fast 6, although it's not a 'Blockbuster'.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-07-09 16:55:37)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad not to be the only one who thought the second episode of Under the Dome was dismal. What could have been a fascinating, extended series version of an Outer Limits episode mixed with Jericho turned into yet another Lost/The Event/whatever.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Episode 2 of Under The Dome was shit. Episode 3 was slightly better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Three episodes in and I think I'm out.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steve Buscemi pronounces his name /boo-SEM-ee/.

[video (unkown provider)]

Hooray! Trey agrees with me about "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality".

Last edited by Zarban (2013-07-09 19:56:03)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Under The Dome is such a disappointment. Three episodes in and absolutely NOTHING has happened.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, an exploding pacemaker, a house burning down and an accidental shooting is hardly nothing. Not sure what else you are expecting to happen this early on. I admit it is disappointing, I am not defending it but I have a feeling the real shit-hits-the-fan moments are going to happen towards the end of the season.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Episode 3 was a definite improvement. I really love the show runner (he created and wrote the Runaways comics, which you should all read) so I'm hanging on for him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking of things you love once they're taken off of Netflix, one series which became relevant when I found it was Farscape, which they took off right as I was getting into the meat of the second season (I think...it's been months since they took it down).  I was kind of put off by Orphan Black's pilot long tirade of plot points and setup, but my friends swear by it so I'll go back and re-watch that episode and the second in a row before I bury myself and throw up the headstone.

Add The Venture Brothers to the list of most compelling series currently releasing new episodes; their company switch hasn't hindered it a bit and is really doing an amazing job.

I really liked the book Carrie compared to the film, especially for the odd scientific moments between the primary story (which does help in explaining why this happened to her).  My only other history with Mr. King is The Dark Tower series, which I'm currently at The Wolves of The Calla but have put it on hold due to other reading I'm doing (Specifically The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein).  The first book in the series is a test for most readers, due to King's ability to write a desert sequence that seems to drag on endlessly, but is worth the continued effort.  I have wanted to read 11/22/63, and now I have all the reason I need to invest in it.

Finally, Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire is amazing, much like the rest of the show itself.  I haven't watch a lot, but the episode regarding his characters childhood home in season 1 was amazing and hooked me as another reason to have HBO along with Game of Thrones (I don't read it but I am spoiled for all things Arya) and Vice.

From 2012-07-31 11:36:56...

Matt Vayda wrote:

If there's enough interest in the notion we should start a separate thread, but with a year of lead time, why can't we organize the first annual "International SDCC DIF Field Trip"?

Zarban wrote:

Count me in.

Teague wrote:

I promise I will go near Comic Con again next year.

Eddie wrote:

As will I.  I'm already looking at Beach Houses for next year, in the Coronado area.

Owen Ward wrote:

It's possible I may go to SDCC next year, so I'm down for a meetup.

Fireproof78 wrote:

One year there may have to be a "Pink Five" booth so we might have to make a showing for that  big_smile

Jesus, that was a year ago? We have GOT to get our shit together, people.

If you can, track down the audio version of Stephen King reading the first three Dark Tower books. Not only is it the original version of The Gunslinger, but King's voice really brings you into the story. Sadly, starting with book four he fell in love with the voice of a professional reader and only that version is available on CD. King also reads Bag of Bones, another personal story for him.

The final three Dark Tower books suffer because he decided to write them all at once, regardless of what his muse said. With the others, if the story stopped coming to him with the characters in the middle of a Riddle contest, he stopped the book there and waited a half decade before going on. It was the one series that actually felt like it came from somewhere else. Then, after the accident, he forced things so he could guarantee he'd finish them before dying, retiring afterwards. The retirement didn't last long smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thank you Invid, I'll start digging up copies of the first three as soon as I can muster the time to do so.  I originally bought The Wizard and The Glass but realized a paragraph or so in that I needed to read them in order.  I'm slightly familiar about King's oddness regarding this series, but I will persevere and finish them, if only to figure out the references other books bring up (I know the Salem's Lot one easy).

The main appeal of The Dark Tower for me was the references to other King works. 99% of his works take place in the same universe. Seeing those connections always makes me smile.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nathan M wrote:

Loved the call back to Trey's supervillian team and now with the addition of Golden Cronenberg I can't wait to see this flick. Lol

Not a flick - Golden Cronenberg is in the new SHIELD series.  Rumor has it we'll also see Firefoot, Sergeant Pants, Lady Drywall, and Paperclip. As for the rumors of a cameo by Cheesestraw and Tickling Otter, I'm not holding my breath.

The King read versions were only released on audio tape (I have them), but very careful searching can drum up rips. Ebay will probably get you the originals.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Not a flick - Golden Cronenberg is in the new SHIELD series.  Rumor has it we'll also see Firefoot, Sergeant Pants, Lady Drywall, and Paperclip. As for the rumors of a cameo by Cheesestraw and Tickling Otter, I'm not holding my breath.

Not Holding My Breath is on First.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Nathan M wrote:

Loved the call back to Trey's supervillian team and now with the addition of Golden Cronenberg I can't wait to see this flick. Lol

Don't know why, but this made me think of Pearls Before Swine's Super Crocs:
http://cdn.iciba.com/news/2013/0424/manhuaimg/gifs/u6_20090123p.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This was a great episode you guys, but I think you guys were greatly underselling the first episode of Black Orphan. While not the best first episode of a series I've ever seen, I thought it was very good, certainly more than enough to convince me to continue watching. The few things that the episode did wrong feel more like problems with the series in general that are more easily overlooked once you're invested. Anyway, I appreciate the recommendation. It's just the sort of show my older brother would adore but probably doesn't know anything about yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

This was a great episode you guys, but I think you guys were greatly underselling the first episode of Black Orphan.

Uhh, the correct title of the show is "Webster".

clap

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why do you tell people to start Doctor Who with series 5, Teague?
In the long run I think the viewer will be better off if they start from the beginning.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cuz people drop like flies if the first Doctor Who they see is Rose. Series 5 is way more polished, which - honestly - really helps. I've had total success getting folks into Who by showing them 5.1 first, and they finish off the run and decide whether to go on from there immediately, or go back through 1-4.

I know it sounds nuts, but the system works.  roll

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, Teague is absolutely right, earlier seasons are downright unwatchable at times as someone who doesn't give a fuck about Dr.Who. I've lost multiple people who've tried to start earlier. Season 5 is when they had enough polish and budget to where you can kinda jump aboard (and even then, the pilot often loses people, I'd argue ep 2 or 4 is a better hook). You gotta realize almost no-one in the US gave a shit about Doctor Who until BBC and Netflix started showing season 5.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also keep in mind Doctor Who is the type of show where people jump in at whatever the current point is. Doesn't matter if you come in with the 1st Doctor, 3rd, 6th, etc. Ignore the whole idea of seasons, or this whole "continuity" kick modern Who has. Just pick a good episode, prime the new viewer with some context, and go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd start with Tennant's run rather than Smith's. There are some crackers in there (Blink as an example). I think there are good eps and some shite in each series. Everyone has their own opinion and will like different ones. I know people who think Love and Monsters isn't a steaming pile of poop.

I think everyone agrees that Fear Her is awful, though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down