Topic: Charlie Kaufman, Guillermo del Toro Head to Slaughterhouse-Five

http://www.wordandfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/guillermo-del-toro-charlie-kaufman-slaughterhouse-five-c-phil-stafford-featureflash-shutterstock.jpg

Thought this might be of an interest to the forum...

In news that is likely to excite both cineastes and literati alike, Kurt Vonnegut’s science fiction classic Slaughterhouse-Five is set to be adapted for screen by a veritable dynamic duo of visionary filmmaking: Charlie Kaufman and Guillermo del Toro. This will be the second time the film has been adapted for the screen, the first having been a 1972 production directed by George Roy Hill, director of “The Sting.”

http://www.wordandfilm.com/2013/07/char … ouse-five/

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Re: Charlie Kaufman, Guillermo del Toro Head to Slaughterhouse-Five

I'm ridiculously excited about this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The book is amazing but I don't see it working but if anyone could come close it's these guys

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Kaufman is the right writer, at least. Not sure GDT has the surrealist chops for it. Not that many directors do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Kaufman is the right writer, at least. Not sure GDT has the surrealist chops for it. Not that many directors do.

Think Michel Gondry could pull it off?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Naturally. I just hesitate to say it because it's obvious and sounds like I have no imagination. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As comparison, has anyone seen the original attempt at putting this to screen - the 1972 George Roy Hill version? I didn't hate it, but think it could be done much better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This weekend's box office may play a large role in this decision.

Signs are good for giant robots. Solid, by all accounts - friends have seen it and we're delighted.

Last edited by Dave (2013-07-09 21:13:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

As comparison, has anyone seen the original attempt at putting this to screen - the 1972 George Roy Hill version? I didn't hate it, but think it could be done much better.

I tried it on netflix, gave up about 10 min in

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I've never totally hated the G.R. Hill version. It's amazing how flat the film is—especially when you consider how the source material is so damn inspired, so infused with personality.

Much of what makes the novel compelling (like the narration) has to do with the fact that it's very much a book. It knows it's a book, and it loves being a book. Vonnegut's weird, wild meta-storytelling works like gangbusters on the page. How do you adapt that vibe to the screen? I don't know. But putting Kaufman on the job seems to make sense. He's someone who definitely says "Screw the way movies normally behave—I'm doing this." That's probably a useful attitude here. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The thing that comes closest to the feel of that book, imo, was The Constant, from Lost.  Granted, it may have just been because it was time travel and Desmond was in the military, but it sure seem to capture that vibe.   
unlrelated, but the editing of that episode was so frickin' cool...loved how it start with long scenes, then gradually sped up the cuts until the frantic end scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down