Topic: Robocop Trailer (This actually looks good?)

The first trailer is up for RoboCop, looks like it actually takes a more direct look at the old themes, and expands upon them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

(P.S. how do I embed youtube on this forum?)

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Robocop Trailer (This actually looks good?)

[video][/video] with the url in the middle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We just had a whole discussion about this in the chat.

I think this looks like hot garbage. Totally joyless, and I hate almost every single creative decision in this trailer.

So instead of a traumatic, iconically violent death by close-range bullets, he dies from a car explosion, like something from a TV pilot on NBC. And instead of having his hand amputated, where you just have a face surrounded by metal emphasizing how he is a cyborg, he now walks around with his 2nd hand completely in-tact, making the suit look like just another power-armor suit. Speaking of the suit, they've thrown out an iconic believable looking design in favor of an awful, ugly, "hip" black-neon monstrosity, to try to make him look cool to 13 year olds. And instead of cool-looking practical models, ED-209 is a fake-looking CG effect.

Oh, and now it looks like Murphy immediately remembers who he and his family are, completely nullifying the entire emotional arc of the first film. The whole thing that's great about the character is that he's a tragic frankenstein monster, a man abused by the system against his will, who finds out who he used to be and re-discovers his humanity by the end.

But nope, instead we can have his wife telling him how he should be a better robo-father and hang out with his son more  roll

Oh, and its PG-13, so he just fights other robots, because if there's anything we having seen enough of yet, it's robots fighting eachother.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

We just had a whole discussion about this in the chat.

I think this looks like hot garbage. Totally joyless, and I hate almost every single creative decision in this trailer.

So instead of a traumatic, iconically violent death by close-range bullets, he dies from a car explosion, like something from a TV pilot on NBC. And instead of having his hand amputated, where you just have a face surrounded by metal emphasizing how he is a cyborg, he now walks around with his 2nd hand completely in-tact, making the suit look like just another power-armor suit. Speaking of the suit, they've thrown out an iconic believable looking design in favor of an awful, ugly, "hip" black-neon monstrosity, to try to make him look cool to 13 year olds. And instead of cool-looking practical models, ED-209 is a fake-looking CG effect.

Oh, and now it looks like Murphy immediately remembers who he and his family are, completely nullifying the entire emotional arc of the first film. The whole thing that's great about the character is that he's a tragic frankenstein monster, a man abused by the system against his will, who finds out who he used to be and re-discovers his humanity by the end.

But nope, instead we can have his wife telling him how he should be a better robo-father and hang out with his son more  roll

Oh, and its PG-13, so he just fights other robots, because if there's anything we having seen enough of yet, it's robots fighting eachother.

I was surprised by the PG-13 rating decision, because that really was one of the hallmarks of the original. Now, it was Paul Verhoeven, so maybe that was just his artistic style and the new director and producers are not willing to make that leap. It seems that the idea of gallons and gallons of blood isn't the in thing right now...?

I mean, I am no fan of the gore in the original, but I understand why it is there. Clearly, this is a business move that indicates that studios are more worried about losing people than keeping the fan base already there.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At least with the Total Recall remake I could sort of understand that decision, as the movie looked crazy expensive and elaborate, and while the end result was still shit, at least you could see the business rationale there, and the money was on the screen.

Based on the trailer, this Robocop remake looks really cheap looking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But it's nice to see Michael Keaton working again, right?

/got nothin'

A budget of 1,000 clichés to produce this remake.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So basically RoboTRON, then? 

A budget of 1,000 clichés to produce this remake.

And even then it looks like the completion bond people had to take it over.

Last edited by sellew (2013-09-06 09:03:28)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've talked to a few people who have read the script, and the universal takeaway is that its the drizzling shits.

There's a scene where they're in R&D on what the Robocop design will be, and they focus group it for....13 year olds.  They show them a screen with the original iconic Robocop suit and one of the kids goes "That looks stupid!  Like something out of the 80's!"

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I've talked to a few people who have read the script, and the universal takeaway is that its the drizzling shits.

There's a scene where they're in R&D on what the Robocop design will be, and they focus group it for....13 year olds.  They show them a screen with the original iconic Robocop suit and one of the kids goes "That looks stupid!  Like something out of the 80's!"

Well considering the Robocop suit now looks like a cool, futuristic new Yamaha Motorcycle this certainly seems atleast congruous. It seems aimed at teenager wallposter material.

By the way, is this scene before or after Bob Morton snorts cocain off a hookers tits?

... Aaah... I mean... drinks Coca Cola whilst surfing on his new iMac browsing for future-curtains with his longtime consensual sex partner.

Last edited by TechNoir (2013-09-06 19:13:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, pointing out you're a shitty cynical focus-grouped remake doesn't suddenly make that OK.

An actual good version of this movie would take the ultra-violence of the original and merge it with all the crazy political stuff happening in recent years, like Dredd with the satire turned up more. In 10 years, Robocop would probably be created by Google or Boston Dynamics, and be used to fight and stop protesters fighting for fair wages. Actual warfare in other countries will all be air-drones dropping bombs (which the movie would be wise to make a point of), but if you're trying to put down unrest domestically, Robocop would be the perfect tool.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After watching the trailer I think I can just catch the last 15 minutes and have a good idea of what's going on. Seems like they told us just about everything but the ending. Not that I really care about it anyway...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair to the director, it sounds like a case of the studio completely fucking him over:
http://collider.com/jose-padilha-robocop-remake-hell/
Still, he shoulda known it was coming and said "NO" the second they told him it had to be PG-13. It's not like he doesn't have a promising career in Brazil, and I gotta believe there would be better directing opportunities he could grab to make the jump to the US.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-09-06 18:21:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

So instead of a traumatic, iconically violent death by close-range bullets, he dies from a car explosion, like something from a TV pilot on NBC.

This hits it right on the head. It looks like a TV show. One of the high-budget "event" shows, but a TV show nonetheless.

bullet3 wrote:

Still, he shoulda known it was coming and said "NO" the second they told him it had to be PG-13. It's not like he doesn't have a promising career in Brazil, and I gotta believe there would be better directing opportunities he could grab to make the jump to the US.

You never say no to the opportunity because you don't know if it'll come again. And once you're in the "make big movies" club, you're in for life. As long as people go to see your movie none of the check-writers give a rats ass what your last Rotten Tomatoes score was (see also: Shyamalan).

So yeah, you're gonna probably get boned pretty hard your first time out. Just close your eyes and think of England.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel sorry for the concept art department.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

/got nothin'

If he came out of early retirement for this, I've lost all faith in humanity.

Looks like utter crap. Not one shot looked interesting at all to me, and the lost me completely on "Make it black".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:
Trey wrote:

/got nothin'

I don't think he'd retired yet when they were shooting this. Hopefully he'll end his career on a more dignified note.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d0ojdDBnhoA/Ue6O24fXplI/AAAAAAAABP4/3W_RC2h_eOU/s1600/Robocopy.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have a feeling he's NOT going to be a bad motherfucker. I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Trey wrote:

/got nothin'

I don't think he'd retired yet when they were shooting this. Hopefully he'll end his career on a more dignified note.

Show
http://i.imgur.com/mnPWrig.gif

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jdubs wrote:

The first trailer is up for RoboCop, looks like it actually takes a more direct look at the old themes, and expands upon them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

Hmm he needs a jetpack...

Squiggly_P wrote:

Also, if you had fourth degree burns over 80% of your body, you would not be confined to a wheelchair, you would be confined to a coffin. They'd have to amputate your body.

Yeah, this line is great. I mean, the entire post was excellent but I love this line smile

Honestly, it's all what you said, and it's funny that there is talk, in another thread, about redoing another movie. The difference here being that Robocop is clearly a cash cow that hasn't been milked to death, while Stargate is being redone by the original creator.

Personally, I'm no fan of Robocop, but I get the sentiment and am annoyed at the mindlessness of the reboot.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

Also, if you had fourth degree burns over 80% of your body, you would not be confined to a wheelchair, you would be confined to a coffin. They'd have to amputate your body.

Yeah, this line is great. I mean, the entire post was excellent but I love this line smile

Diet Coke is still fizzing out of my nose. Bravo.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Should I point out that Robocop has already been not just two live action TV shows, but two cartoons for kids? What everyone is describing happened within weeks of the first movie turning a profit. Everyone should just assume they're adapting the 1988 Saturday morning cartoon and be done with it smile

As a side note, I'm no Frank Miller fan but I love this quote of what he learned doing the scripts for the second and third movies: “Don’t be the writer. The director’s got the power. The screenplay is a fire hydrant, and there’s a row of dogs around the block waiting for it.”

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The PG-13 rating is such bullshit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down