Topic: Let's know us. (Or the Too Close For Comfort thread.)

Tell us about your first love, your first heartbreak, your one-sentence philosophy, and something you've learned about yourself.

Long posts are acceptable.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Let's know us. (Or the Too Close For Comfort thread.)

Well I can post the one sentence philosophy I've got... seeing as I'm somewhat lacking in the other departments. (Although this could sort of be considered something I learned about myself hmm)

This is something I came up with a while back on one of those long boring nights of insomnia when i had absolutely no drive to do anything other than lie in bed and count ceiling tiles. At this point I had already been doing 3D stuff for a while along with very amateurish movie stuff.

As a side note, for those of you who don't know I have pretty much a love affair/fetish for pretty much any shit mother nature can dish out, I have an entire shelf lined with photography books of everything from volcanic landscapes to deep sea fish. So as part of that I had always been fascinated by the absolutely infinitesimally small and expansive detail that went into everything from pollen to blue whales and beyond.

As a side side note (I promise this will all make sense at the end). I have always been a fantasy/sci-fi guy. I was never really a fan of reality, you know take that for what you will. But I figure, "reality already exists so why should I live in it?" Which isn't to say that i dismiss it completely, alot of the art/work I do is based around either completely reinventing something/someplace or making it a whole lot cooler than it really is (for instance my current project, my final project for my first year of film school is creating a VFX shot of a 300 foot whale that lives in ocean trenches. but this one is in a massive ocean sized aquarium. So yah you know, hi this is me).

So anyways, back to insomnia central. I just got thinking about all of this, as one does. And I came up with this one phrase that I found just so absolutely perfect for everything I was doing and hoped to do. And I try to live by it in every piece of art that I do, any project I take on...etc etc etc.

"Finding the minutia of the nonexsistant."

Hopefully it's fairly self explanatory, but it's something I always try to strive for in everything I do, art or otherwise.

Wow, that ended up being a lot longer than I expected.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've learned that I'm not a sharing person, but I am a giving person. Well, not so much a "person" as a nerd. I intensely document TV and film commentaries available on the Web (Zarban.com). And I make commentaries of my own (Tysto.com). And I intensely document the history and architecture of the White House (WhiteHouseMuseum.org).

And I have other interests that are even more nerdy.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Damn, Zarban. You scary.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1)  First love and first heartbreak is a bit complicated.  She's sorta known around these parts and is to this day one of my closest friends.  It was ages ago and I don't want to go into too much detail.

2)  My one sentence philosophy.  I'll let two men smarter than me do it.

"The thought manifests as the word. Word manifests as the deed. Deed develops into habit. And habit hardens into character." - Gautama Buddha

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies — "God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut (via "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)

3) Something I've learned about myself:
Every time I learn something profound I am instantly aware of how much I still don't know.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-05-20 21:50:12)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, so this is awkward.

See, some years back I mined my own first-love experience for a book I was writing. I mean I changed the names and everything, and made up this whole plot to go around it, but the hook was the story of my first love, and I turned it into this big stupid thing.

So now here I am trying to tell the real story of what really happened, only I keep wanting to quote my own best lines of dialogue from the story I wrote.

It's frustrating as hell.

So I'll just say this. Her name was Lauren, and she was perfect, and I loved her from afar until I couldn't any more. Also there was a guy named Greg involved, and he was a dick. He's probably really fat now. Like morbidly obese. Like one of those people you see on TLC where the firemen have to chainsaw out a chunk of wall the size of a swimming pool so they can forklift them out of the house and drive them off to the hospital in a special ambulance with a reinforced suspension. Yeah, he's probably totally like one of those people now. I hope.

(I told the story better when I was pretending it was somebody else's.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate women. I need women.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mayhew Lemaître wrote:

Zarban, when you leave comments about Tysto commentaries on your website (which is great, it's how i discovered DiF), are you commenting about... yourself? wink

<sigh> Yes. My nerdery knows no bounds. Commenting on my own commentaries... Documenting the White House sub-basements.... Keeping a spreadsheet of the 60000 most common English words and their spelling irregularities....

...Now I've said too much.

What is the 60,000th most common English word?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pimpmobile?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Documenting the White House sub-basements....

Got your back on this one - I wouldn't say I've studied it, but I'm fascinated by the history of the White House and how it's changed over the years.  That was my favorite part of the John Adams miniseres, for example.

So is there really a Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkaNWkgrfxQ

downinfront wrote:

What is the 60,000th most common English word?

"yachtswomen"

Actually, the full list is a compilation 4 international dictionaries (part of Alan Beale's 12 Dictionaries project), so they aren't ordered. But I do have an ordered list of the 1000 most common words ("the" to "teeth").

Either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the basement of the West Wing looks nothing like what was depicted on TV. It's really boring offices.

The Oval Office is a hell of a lot smaller in person than on TV, too. I don't know whether it's an optical illusion or whether they built the set bigger; I've never been on an Oval Office set in person.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

So is there really a Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkaNWkgrfxQ

There must be, because the White House is heated by steam pipes from a boiler in another building. But the steam pipe trunk would be a huge cast iron pipe with multiple branches. I don't see any steam pipes at all in that office.

I think that scene is supposed to be in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next door (the offices of the White House staff, rather than the White House proper). But the WW TV show really played fast and loose with the geography (I have a page on its version). There's no such place as the Mural Room; there haven't been bullpens on the main floor since 1935; the Press Briefing Room is in totally the wrong place...

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-21 03:04:32)

My first girlfriend was forumer Kyle's current girlfriend. (For those not in the know, Kyle is the only non-internet friend I have who's a big fan of DIF, I've known him since high school.) Prior to her introduction to my life, I had consigned myself to asexual existence and was content with it as such. I had a lot of girl friends, but to my knowledge, none were interested in me, and that was okay. Said girl and I dated when she asked me to date her, and it only lasted a few months.

My first heartbreak was not breaking up with her, but actually came before, when one of my cats ran away. (Several after that did; at the time we lived next door to an amazing cat hangout jungle, and they were all outdoor cats. The first one killed me.)

One sentence philosophy is "don't be a dick, none of us make it out of here alive," projected on overtones of non-militant opinionizing.

Something I've learned about myself? I'm introspective to the point of absurd narcissism, narrowing it down to one thing would be picking  a brick from a wall and saying "this one is hard and roughly cubical." I've learned that it takes very little to keep me happy, and takes very little to make me happy. Along those lines, I very much like being happy, and haven't noticeably deviated from happiness in years.

For a long time I had a public blog filled with long bouts of philosophically charged comedy, along those lines - though not super funny - is this recent blog post on my Facebook.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have this friend who once called me "self-obsessed," but went to great lengths to explain that he didn't mean it derisively. He was just saying he thought I live really deep in my own head.

If that's what you meant by "introspective to the point of narcissism," I get it.

I guess I neglected the one-sentence part of the instructions. If you forced me to put it in one sentence, I'd have to rip off a line of dialogue from "Deadwood," of all things. It's this: "Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live." I hate people who hold up quotes as if they're the distilled essence of profound wisdom, but the truth is that's my experience put about as succinctly as I could imagine doing it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's another one sentencer that very accutely sums up my world view.  Not sure who said it.

"Pain is inevitable.  Suffering is optional."

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Something I've learned about myself? I'm introspective to the point of absurd narcissism, narrowing it down to one thing would be picking  a brick from a wall and saying "this one is hard and roughly cubical."

I am very much the same way, that one quote I posted was one of many many things I think about, it just happens to be one that i come back to a lot more than the others.

However, in stark contrast to Teague my extended bouts of introspective analysis usually lead to extended periods of self loathing and an overall despising of all things me. Needless to say, I don't get much work done in those times.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I used to wonder whether truly smart, truly thoughtful people can ever be truly happy all, or even most of, the time.

After what Teague said, though … I'm starting to wonder if he's smart or thoughtful. Cause being happy all the time just ain't natural

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For more on that exact subject, read the post I linked to.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

See, I would, but it requires one to have a facebook dealy, and from what I gather that's a sort of online game for people with friends.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can read it here without an account.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague...that was absolutely mind blowing dude. Wow.

I have so many things I want to say but I can't put them into words at the moment....I'll be back with them eventually.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think there's a word I don't know, or if there's not, there ought to be.

You know how sometimes you meet a chick (or a dude, for those of you into that) and you just really wanna nail her (or him, and here my white liberal male heteronormative guilt ends, so sort out the pronouns for yourself), and it's all physical attraction and hormones?

And then other times you maybe aren't viscerally attracted to a chick, but she's just really interesting and smart and she makes you think and even if you can't ever really see yourself hooking up with her, you just kinda wanna sit and talk with her all night?

I think that post made me feel that way about Teague. Only, y'know, not like boy-girl. Or … see, this is where there oughta be a word.

Good on you, son. Well said.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeff...excellently put. Although I have never expereinced that first thing of which you talk about as I am a gentlemen and treat the womanfolk with respect. That and the fact i know I wouldn't have a chance in hell with any of them, with either group actually.

ZangrethorDigital.ca