Re: Suggest an Episode

I like the giant square afro with mickey mouse ears.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hi guys

How about Threads BBC 1984
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

V

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have no idea what they would say about Threads except "damn movie, you scary".

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2014-08-13 02:55:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maybe a comparison to The Day After

but, yes, it is a scary movie, terrified me back then when i was 14 or so

V

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

In light of what's happened, I think it's safe to say that a Robin Williams film should be done.

I've always liked this one...

http://psy317taychengmay.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/215102-the_fisher_king_original.jpg

Yeah, been talkin' about it. Looks like we're gonna go in a different direction this weekend, but may well get to it soon after.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Movies I don't think y'all have covered which are streaming on netflix and that are way better than Noah:

In Bruges
Say Anything
American Psycho
In the Loop (try and have a f word drinking game with this one…I dare you)
Heathers
Manhattan
Punch Drunk Love
Zodiac
The Grey
Mash
Trainspotting
The Usual Suspects
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Host (Joon Ho-bong)
Let the Right one In (Swedish)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's not about quality, it's about what is interesting to talk about. Failures can offer more topics for them to cover.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Fantastic Four would be an interesting one, in that regard. After all the years of people shitting on it, I was surprised by how much I didn't hate it. It does some things right (Chiklis and Evans, comedy, and most of the tone) but then it does some things very wrong (Alba, Doom, Welsh dude playing Reed, drama, the rest of the tone).

Last edited by Herc (2014-08-17 01:07:25)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Any commentary for FF should be paired with an intermission on movies made for contractual reasons. I've seen the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie, and would love to know how often that kind of thing happens.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I like that idea.
The Corman one was obviously made on a tiny budget, but it doesn't feel as awful as it should. You get the sense that everyone involved was trying their hardest. And when it's bad, it's charmingly bad.
I'm pretty surprised at how much I tolerate the Corman and the modern Fantastic Four.

Though I can give no such pass to Rise of The Silver-Surfer. That should have learned from the mistakes of the first one, so they have no excuses.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Invid wrote:

It's not about quality, it's about what is interesting to talk about. Failures can offer more topics for them to cover.

My missive was a direct response to the boys twitter request for "Better ideas", and as the previous tweet had mentioned netflix streaming I threw together that list. In my direct email response to the tweet I mentioned it could be very interesting to shit on such a shitty movie, and am looking forward to the shit storm.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...but Noah is a really good movie.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'd say that I agree to disagree, but I bailed on it a half-hour in and thus can't in good conscientious do so. I will try to stay open minded tonight when I view the live stream (paused whilst the family and I hike around Rattlesnake Lake). Aronofsky is more miss than hit with me, and I really, really don't like the Noah story (the silliest story in a book filled with them), so I was really not coming at it with a good mindset.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rockpapernukeitfromorbit wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'd say that I agree to disagree, but I bailed on it a half-hour in and thus can't in good conscientious do so. I will try to stay open minded tonight when I view the live stream (paused whilst the family and I hike around Rattlesnake Lake). Aronofsky is more miss than hit with me, and I really, really don't like the Noah story (the silliest story in a book filled with them), so I was really not coming at it with a good mindset.

Only a half-hour? Well there's the problem right there.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With all the talk of sexism and lack of strong female protagonists, and all the newly announced Shane Black projects, you guys really oughta do an episode on Long Kiss Goodnight. I feel like it's been weirdly overlooked culturally (and was a financial bomb at the time), but it's totally right up there with Die Hard for me as an all time great action flick, and one of Shane Blacks most fun scripts. Just the fact that Geena Davis is allowed to kick ass but isn't some invincible badass, and gets the shit completely kicked out of her by the end and is bleeding a la John McClane, is so rare and refreshing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh, I like that idea. Also: fun film, Sam Jackson in plaid, and you can also do the "what the heck happened to Renny Harlin?" thing.

Last edited by Herc (2014-08-22 23:03:42)

The 'Burbs!

"I'm mad as hell and have no choice but to keep taking it!"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The 'Burbs was childhood darling for me, I hear it's not very good, but would love an excuse to revisit it!

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A tenner to top you off:

Burton's Alice in Wonderland (it’s horrible!)
Ravenous (it’s…delicious)
Lemony Snicket’s A series of unfortunate events (it’s a series of different things)
Brotherhood of the Wolf (it’s a LOT of things)
Snowpiercer (it’s COMMENTARY (and quite awesome))
The Road (it’s fantastic if you didn’t read the book)
Road to Perdition (it’s just gorgeous)
Tremors (it’s the best monster movie movie)
Drag me to hell (it’s the way they used to make them)
Robocop (so we can do Robocop 2!)

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Are we ever gonna get some Pet Semetary 2? I feel like I've already heard the Commentary for it considering how often talk about it pops up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pet 2 and My Favorite Martian went head-to-head last week and Martian won the coin toss.   So that's the Trey Story episode for now, but Pet 2 will come back into the rotation eventually I'm sure.

Big fan of DotD myself, I'd be up for doing that one anytime.

Day of the Dead is the best of the Romero zombie films.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle Monroe wrote:

Day of the Dead is the best of the Romero zombie films.

+1 to that. As a big horror guy I'll never understand why it's considered the black sheep of the trilogy.

And dem gore effects in it.

Last edited by Jacob H (2014-08-26 05:39:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down